Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #991 of 1,312
You can find bits about the Koss PortaPro On Fire (red one in question I believe) on CNet, hifiheadphones, various other stores, and a couple posts on Head-Fi with at least one picture.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #992 of 1,312
  You can find bits about the Koss PortaPro On Fire (red one in question I believe) on CNet, hifiheadphones, various other stores, and a couple posts on Head-Fi with at least one picture.

Thanks, @Saoshyant, yeah, that's what it's listed as on Amazon, "On Fire."  I suspect it is real, particularly given that you found it referenced elsewhere, but I did contact Koss about it and I'm curious about how long it takes them to respond to inquiries on their web site. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #993 of 1,312
http://www.head-fi.org/t/277487/taking-koss-portapro-to-the-limit-cool-mods/45

I believe post 47 has a picture of the PortaPro in question.  At least the PP pictured is obviously red.

Also read post 52.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #994 of 1,312
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/277487/taking-koss-portapro-to-the-limit-cool-mods/45

I believe post 47 has a picture of the PortaPro in question.  At least the PP pictured is obviously red.

Also read post 52.

Excellent research!  Yeah, I suspect they are regional variants.  The all-white model referenced in that post is also on the same Amazon UK listing that has the red, "On Fire", as an option, along with a black and silver model (no blue).

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #995 of 1,312
I did some searching for On Fire on eBay and came across an auction that was ending in a minute, so figured I'd take a shot on something I'd most likely assume is fake as I got it for $23.50.  I might get lucky, or I might order a KSC75 and pop out the fake driver and put the good one in.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #996 of 1,312
  I did some searching for On Fire on eBay and came across an auction that was ending in a minute, so figured I'd take a shot on something I'd most likely assume is fake as I got it for $23.50.  I might get lucky, or I might order a KSC75 and pop out the fake driver and put the good one in.

Holy moly! I'm hoping you find it's real, but either way, good idea.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #1,000 of 1,312
I still like my Porta Pros that are now severaly years old. Just had to order new foam for the earpads again for 3$ from banggood and they are not really as portable any longer as one earcup broke of the hinge and I had to fix it with hot glue so it doesn't fold any more. The foam on the sides also got loose and worn out so I had to cut out new foam and glue it back on but hey at least they still work perfectly :D

If I can find some high end headphone with similiar warm sound signature, laid back treble, better soundstage and better sub bass (I never notice any sibilance with these small headphones) then it's probably going to be my endgame headphone.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,001 of 1,312
  I still like my Porta Pros that are now severaly years old. Just had to order new foam for the earpads again for 3$ from banggood and they are not really as portable any longer as one earcup broke of the hinge and I had to fix it with hot glue so it doesn't fold any more. The foam on the sides also got loose and worn out so I had to cut out new foam and glue it back on but hey at least they still work perfectly :D

If I can find some high end headphone with similiar warm sound signature, laid back treble, better soundstage and better sub bass (I never notice any sibilance with these small headphones) then it's probably going to be my endgame headphone.

You might like the JVC SZ series if you are ok with closed back, I don't think you can get as good sub bass with open headphones unless it is like a planar. I have heard good things about Nightquest but never used one

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #1,004 of 1,312
Got a response from Koss customer support. They confirm that the red PortaPro is in fact a real 'phone they made for sale in Scandavia:

Major props to you sir as this is something I wondered about for a long time but never took the initiative to find out on. Now I can get a set of red ones to recable and not worry 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #1,005 of 1,312
Got a response from Koss customer support. They confirm that the red PortaPro is in fact a real 'phone they made for sale in Scandavia:

Thanks for confirmation sir
In my country they say red edition is Limited Edition
Because it comes with pouch and Hardcase in the box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back