Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #976 of 1,312
They're sold on Amazon UK site, "dispatched from and sold by Amazon", so it would be surprising to me if they were fake.  Maybe Koss makes them only for that market?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Porta-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B005I4987E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485565195&sr=8-1&keywords=koss+portapro+red

Quote:
  The red PortaPro is probably fake. I've never seen red on the Koss website. So if you can, get your money back. Here's a thread on fake PortaPros.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/439656/possibly-fake-portapro-help-me

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #978 of 1,312
Just because it's up on Amazon does not make it real. I've seen plenty of things on Amazon that were not real.

I'd be quite surprised to see something fake that are actually sold by Amazon, rather than just fulfilled by Amazon. In this case, the listing makes clear that Amazon is the seller, not a third party.

The reviews even specifically list color purchased.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #979 of 1,312
I wonder how the iGrado sounds vs Porta Pro as I never had a chance to compare the two.  Found a website selling the iGrado for $19, but never heard of the site before, so absolutely no clue if they should be avoided or not.  I'm a bit tempted to get the Porta Pro LE as it does look fantastic, and might take a chance on the iGrado as if the sale is actually legit it's really gone down in price from what it was a few years back when I bought one as a present.

Here's a link if anyone here is interested in picking up a pair for the sake of a comparison:  http://www.lightinthebox.com/grado-igrado-rich-bass-sport-headset-neckband-portable-running-headphone_p5219487.html

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #980 of 1,312
I would be wary at that price. I see a couple of iGrado listings on eBay and they're about $100, likely because they've been discontinued and Grado now makes the eGrado with the newer e-series drivers.

I wonder how the iGrado sounds vs Porta Pro as I never had a chance to compare the two.  Found a website selling the iGrado for $19, but never heard of the site before, so absolutely no clue if they should be avoided or not.  I'm a bit tempted to get the Porta Pro LE as it does look fantastic, and might take a chance on the iGrado as if the sale is actually legit it's really gone down in price from what it was a few years back when I bought one as a present.

Here's a link if anyone here is interested in picking up a pair for the sake of a comparison:  http://www.lightinthebox.com/grado-igrado-rich-bass-sport-headset-neckband-portable-running-headphone_p5219487.html

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #981 of 1,312
Oh I'm quite wary.  I generally remember hearing less than stellar opinions when Grado went from i series to e series.  Worst comes to worst, I can try to be clever and if they turned out to be fake transplant sr80i drivers to them and see if they take.  I think I remember the 60 and 80 driver sizes being the same, but I very well might have remembered incorrectly.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #982 of 1,312
Good point. I never had the iGrado, but I've had the SR80i and the SR80e though not at the same time and I liked the SR80e better but not listening to them side by side that could have been expectation bias. I definitely remember noting that the SR80e were louder at same volume from a given source.

I have the eGrado but not a huge fan as they tend to be uncomfortable after a short period. Also, the right driver has issues with rattling at moderate volumes below about 60 Hz. I've had to have them repaired already once and now it's doing it again. :sweat_smile:

Strangely, I've never had problems with any other Grado headphones, and I also have the SR325i, SR325e, Alessandro MS1e, and Alessandro MS2i, and have never had that issue.

For this form factor, I recommend the PortaPro over eGrado certainly, though I can't say anything from experience about iGrado.

You're right though that if those are fake you might be able to use the enclosure.

I do believe SR60 and SR80 drivers are same size but I could be wrong.

Oh I'm quite wary.  I generally remember hearing less than stellar opinions when Grado went from i series to e series.  Worst comes to worst, I can try to be clever and if they turned out to be fake transplant sr80i drivers to them and see if they take.  I think I remember the 60 and 80 driver sizes being the same, but I very well might have remembered incorrectly.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #983 of 1,312
I'll probably break down and get the LE Porta Pro the next time I notice a discount.  Too bad too as I think they just had one within the past couple weeks.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #985 of 1,312
I definitely recommend the Porta Pro! :)  If you must have the LE, I'm sure Koss will love you for that, though you can pick up the regular one for cheaper on Amazon, though I'm sure you know that.

I just did a quick comparison between the eGrado and Porta Pro (not the LE, although I do have that one, too, at work, at home now), and they really do sound similar to my ears, but I think the bass is a little more emphasized on the Porta Pro, while the eGrado sounded slightly cleaner with more emphasized highs.

But very similar sound signature to my ears.  I just find that I rarely use my eGrado due to comfort and the right driver rattling on certain tracks with heavy bass at volumes that don't rattle my Porta Pro's for sure (or my other Grado's).

Quote:
  I'll probably break down and get the LE Porta Pro the next time I notice a discount.  Too bad too as I think they just had one within the past couple weeks.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #986 of 1,312
@JWolf I certainly remember having a conversation which entailed whether I should pick up the LE Porta Pro or try the oddly low price iGrado which most likely wouldn't be legit.  @trellus Thank you for the information.  I don't think I'll take the risk with the Grado as comfort is kind of a bit deal to me.  I've had two normal Porta Pros in the past but have gifted both away.  The second was gifted recently with I think at least an inclination towards replacing them with the shiny model, although my mind hasn't been made up.  There's also the KSC75 which I certainly remember being fairly on par with the Porta Pro audibly, and can be found quite a bit cheaper.  Then again, I could get both and have fun swapping drivers.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #987 of 1,312
I'd be quite surprised to see something fake that are actually sold by Amazon, rather than just fulfilled by Amazon. In this case, the listing makes clear that Amazon is the seller, not a third party.

The reviews even specifically list color purchased.

I would contact Koss before buying. The red PortaPro does not show up on their website and I would think it would be there if this was real.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #988 of 1,312
Less relevant now, perhaps, but I've done slightly more comparison listening between Porta Pro and eGrado and I have to say that I think the eGrado are "better", Porta Pro seems less clear / clean / transparent / refined, maybe it's that they sound slightly thicker, bass is definitely noticeably more emphasized.

However, that's doing comparison listening.  I've never put on my Porta Pro's just to listen to music and thought, "oh man, these don't sound right, let me go get my eGrado's..." 
rolleyes.gif

Also, at least the eGrado (not sure about iGrado) aren't immediately uncomfortable, but this listening session has been only about 15 minutes, taking them often to put on the Porta Pro's, and I have taken out the eGrado's for walks (I like the open-nature as I can maintain situational awareness) and they start to hurt me after about 30 minutes or so from the pressure.

I definitely found the Porta Pro's more comfortable for longer periods at a time than the eGrado, and Grado claims to have made the eGrado more comfortable than the iGrado.

Quote:
  @JWolf I certainly remember having a conversation which entailed whether I should pick up the LE Porta Pro or try the oddly low price iGrado which most likely wouldn't be legit.  @trellus Thank you for the information.  I don't think I'll take the risk with the Grado as comfort is kind of a bit deal to me.  I've had two normal Porta Pros in the past but have gifted both away.  The second was gifted recently with I think at least an inclination towards replacing them with the shiny model, although my mind hasn't been made up.  There's also the KSC75 which I certainly remember being fairly on par with the Porta Pro audibly, and can be found quite a bit cheaper.  Then again, I could get both and have fun swapping drivers.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #990 of 1,312
Thanks, @JWolf, that's an excellent idea.

I've actually filled out a "Contact Us" form on their site asking about the legitimacy of the red Porta Pro's listed on the Amazon UK site.

Quote:

I would contact Koss before buying. The red PortaPro does not show up on their website and I would think it would be there if this was real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back