Koss Portapro Thread
Aug 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #421 of 1,312
Try taking advantage of Koss's lifetime warranty. My cable snapped a few years ago when I was bent over tying my shoelaces. The cable hooked underneath my knee and when I stood up, I popped the cable loose from one of the earpieces. I went online and they gave me details in how to return them. I found the depot in my area (Toronto), dropped them off with a check for $5 to pay for return postage and got a new pair in the mail several weeks later.

I buy my worn out foam pads from Koss for $5 to show my gratitude. They manage to exceed my expectations by sending me an extra pair. Koss has awesome customer service.

I also using koss portapro, just change the cord, the quality not as good as before 
frown.gif
(
Any suggestion?

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #423 of 1,312
I hate to admit this, but after listening to DT770, Shure 840s, m50s, T50rps(modded), V-moda m100, HD650s, and Q701 (couple iems here and there also). I finally purchased portapros considering they are half-off on Amazon right now. 

I haven't had headphones on my ears for more than 30 minutes until these PortaPros. I admit I was a skeptic at first about all the good reviews but I have to admit I'm loving these ugly little things!  Sure you're not going to get the soundstage of the Q701 or the DT770. But I'll be damned these things are so fun to listen to! 

Background, I've always wanted to try what better music sounded like and went the whole Lyr(with different tubes) and HD650 route and I always never found the money was worth it for that little extra sparkle. I always found the DT770 more than enough headphone for me, but I always did love the Q701s for their soundstage (i love huge soundstage). Of course PortaPros aren't going to have the same clarity but man I miss just enjoying music like this!

Now I paid 25 USD for the koss portapros and so far they sound quite excellent! I really wish they were a one sided cable but thats me more nit-picking. I'm no means a basshead but man these have more than enough at times! Such a fun little headphone where I can still wear hats and beanies on top. These for sure are the best $25 dollars I've spent on audio, a much better purchase than any of those 250+ headphones that i've tried! 

For you users that wear glasses, I usually hate wearing headphones cause it causes my ears such pain. These PortaPros are so light and you can adjust the firmness that I've actually worn them for 4 hours(college finals) so far and haven't felt a need to take them off except maybe for like a 10 minute break. PortaPros, you are the best bang for your buck and that lifetime warranty lets me throw these around without worry unlike all the other headphones I kept for resale value. Won't be selling these PortaPros anytime soon! I fully recommend them to anyone! For the average user and high end user that wants to try best bang for your buck, you will completely love these ugly beauties!

Don't forget they are half-off on Amazon right now!

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #424 of 1,312
  I hate to admit this, but after listening to DT770, Shure 840s, m50s, T50rps(modded), V-moda m100, HD650s, and Q701 (couple iems here and there also). I finally purchased portapros considering they are half-off on Amazon right now. 

I haven't had headphones on my ears for more than 30 minutes until these PortaPros. I admit I was a skeptic at first about all the good reviews but I have to admit I'm loving these ugly little things!  Sure you're not going to get the soundstage of the Q701 or the DT770. But I'll be damned these things are so fun to listen to! 

Background, I've always wanted to try what better music sounded like and went the whole Lyr(with different tubes) and HD650 route and I always never found the money was worth it for that little extra sparkle. I always found the DT770 more than enough headphone for me, but I always did love the Q701s for their soundstage (i love huge soundstage). Of course PortaPros aren't going to have the same clarity but man I miss just enjoying music like this!

Now I paid 25 USD for the koss portapros and so far they sound quite excellent! I really wish they were a one sided cable but thats me more nit-picking. I'm no means a basshead but man these have more than enough at times! Such a fun little headphone where I can still wear hats and beanies on top. These for sure are the best $25 dollars I've spent on audio, a much better purchase than any of those 250+ headphones that i've tried! 

For you users that wear glasses, I usually hate wearing headphones cause it causes my ears such pain. These PortaPros are so light and you can adjust the firmness that I've actually worn them for 4 hours(college finals) so far and haven't felt a need to take them off except maybe for like a 10 minute break. PortaPros, you are the best bang for your buck and that lifetime warranty lets me throw these around without worry unlike all the other headphones I kept for resale value. Won't be selling these PortaPros anytime soon! I fully recommend them to anyone! For the average user and high end user that wants to try best bang for your buck, you will completely love these ugly beauties!

Don't forget they are half-off on Amazon right now!

+1 with your review entirely.  I have also gone through many pairs of headphones throughout the years (just check out my profile), and I would agree that for the value, the Portapros are king.  Given the fact that they sound amazing out of pretty much every source without needing any amping, you will be hard pressed to find anything that's as versatile for anywhere close to its cost.  For your average consumer who doesn't want to spend hundreds on headphones, I think for 25 dollars, portapros will more than satisfy.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #425 of 1,312
I often switch between my GS1000's and the Porta Pros and I'm amazed at the similarity in sound signature: they are both tilted up a bit at either end with the Koss being a bit more tilted in the bass, and they are both quite fun to listen too. The GS1000's, admittedly, are a whole other order of detail retrieval but the little Koss cans are quite remarkable in their ability to still sound really good when switching from the Grados. I'll never get rid of the GS1K's .. they are just too sweet/divine with the types of music they are good with ... but I'll not get rid of the Koss' either cause, well, they are pretty much good with *everything*.

That said, you might call me deaf and dumb but I've listened extensively and I'd take the Koss Porta Pros over the LCD-3's any day of the week...

:)

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #426 of 1,312
Hi guys good to see there's so much interest and enthusiasm towards the Porta Pro. I'm currently in the mist of putting out a review on the Porta Pro for my YT channel and for audio360.org. I'll be posting my video review on here in the next week or so. In the meantime I hope no one minds me throwing up my Porta Pro unboxing video. I have to say, nicely competent sounding headphone for such a low price.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #427 of 1,312
I have to say, for a $25 - 50 headphone, the packaging is very nice! I recently got my ProtaPro and a HD219 and it was night and day. PortaPro came in a beautiful box and the HD219 came in a blister package. Presentation is huge but so is sound quality. Koss PortaPro is just Devine! I spent $25 on both. The HD219 msrps for more than the PortaPros (but then so do a lot of HPs :p) but just can't touch the PortaPros.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #428 of 1,312
I have to say, for a $25 - 50 headphone, the packaging is very nice! I recently got my ProtaPro and a HD219 and it was night and day. PortaPro came in a beautiful box and the HD219 came in a blister package. Presentation is huge but so is sound quality. Koss PortaPro is just Devine! I spent $25 on both. The HD219 msrps for more than the PortaPros (but then so do a lot of HPs :p) but just can't touch the PortaPros.

Yep, I agree this little cheapy headphone does sound rather nice for its MSRP doesn't it.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #431 of 1,312
I've had a pair of Porta Pros for many years, and while they sound good, I don't understand why they receive so much attention, when you consider the fact that the KSC75s are less than half the price and sound leagues better.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #432 of 1,312
  I've had a pair of Porta Pros for many years, and while they sound good, I don't understand why they receive so much attention, when you consider the fact that the KSC75s are less than half the price and sound leagues better.

They should be the same thing.  The KSCS75 is the PortaPro without the headband.  Besides, the PortaPro has that cool funky retro 80's look!

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #433 of 1,312

I actually don't think that the KSC75's sound leagues better. I actually think that I prefer the Sportapro drivers (with holes in driver covers) on the parts express headband over the KSC75's (also on parts express headband). I feel that the Sportapro drivers handle bass better, and offer an overall fuller and richer sound. The mids and treble don't sound that much different between the two to me (although the ksc75's are a bit better in those areas). Note however that I find the Portapro/Sportapro sound to be inferior when they are tightly clamped on the ears using their stock headbands because then the bass at times is somewhat boomy and less controlled. Imo!

They should be the same thing.  The KSCS75 is the PortaPro without the headband.  Besides, the PortaPro has that cool funky retro 80's look!

No, they are different drivers. The Portapro, Sportapro and KSC35 drivers are all the same. The KSC75 drivers are different.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #434 of 1,312

I actually don't think that the KSC75's sound leagues better. I actually think that I prefer the Sportapro drivers (with holes in driver covers) on the parts express headband over the KSC75's (also on parts express headband). I feel that the Sportapro drivers handle bass better, and offer an overall fuller and richer sound. The mids and treble don't sound that much different between the two to me (although the ksc75's are a bit better in those areas). Note however that I find the Portapro/Sportapro sound to be inferior when they are tightly clamped on the ears using their stock headbands because then the bass at times is somewhat boomy and less controlled. Imo!

No, they are different drivers. The Portapro, Sportapro and KSC35 drivers are all the same. The KSC75 drivers are different.

The bold part is precisely the problem I have. I don't know what the PortaPro drivers sound like with a different headband, but when they come stock, the bass is far too boomy, muddy, and it just drowns everything else out. By comparison, the KSC75s sound balanced and much more pleasant to my ears.

You may very well be right that it's simply a result of the tight headband and the way the headphones sit on your ear. But my point is that a pair of KSC75s straight out of the box sound significantly better than a pair of PortaPros straight out of the box do. In my opinion, it's not even close. And the adjustable notch on the PP's headband doesn't seem to help.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #435 of 1,312

The bold part is precisely the problem I have. I don't know what the PortaPro drivers sound like with a different headband, but when they come stock, the bass is far too boomy, muddy, and it just drowns everything else out. By comparison, the KSC75s sound balanced and much more pleasant to my ears.

You may very well be right that it's simply a result of the tight headband and the way the headphones sit on your ear. But my point is that a pair of KSC75s straight out of the box sound significantly better than a pair of PortaPros straight out of the box do. In my opinion, it's not even close. And the adjustable notch on the PP's headband doesn't seem to help.

I agree with you on those points. Which is why I initially kept the ksc75's. But I found them to sound a bit thin when using the ear clips because I couldn't get them to sit well on my ears (and, the ear clips just bugged me). Hence the parts express headband which keeps them lightly but firmly on the ears and really makes the ksc75's shine imo. I eventually got the sportapros, and as mentioned drilled the holes in the driver covers (kramer mods I think) and put them on the parts express headband, and that combo really makes them shine for me as well. Bass is no longer boomy or muddy and it really sounds nice.

Anyway yeah, if going completely stock, I also think the ksc75's are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back