Koss Portapro Thread
May 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #406 of 1,313
I'm so impressed with these right now that I'm thinking about grabbing the version with the in-line mic as well.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #407 of 1,313
Quote:
I'm so impressed with these right now that I'm thinking about grabbing the version with the in-line mic as well.

I bought a stock pair first. Loved em. Gifted them to my brother for his birthday so I could get the inline pair :) What a great set of budget cans.

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #408 of 1,313
Quote:
The Koss portapro/sportapro/ksc75 drivers are pretty crazy indeed. If you want to have fun with the sportapro's, see this great tutorial. I've had the portapro's and I have the ksc75's, but I'll definitely be trying out those sportapro mods!

I did get the Sportapros ($25 from ebay), and then I followed that tutorial. There were a few ""something or somebody is going to get hurt!" moments, but I somehow implemented the mods successfully!

They really sound great now. I have the ksc75's (on parts express headband, with driver covers replaced with steel mesh), and the modded sportapro's are like a slightly darker version of them, with not quite as much treble energy and detail, but with a LOT more bass. Before the mods, the bass was a bit uncontrolled and boomy at times and bleeding into the mids. But the mods really help get the bass under control, and they sound awesome. Although I think the ksc75's technically sound better than the modded sportapro's, I am enjoying the sportapros more at the moment because that bass just sounds so great. These are going to be the perfect portable headphones for me.

So if any of you want a cheap set of portapro's, you should seriously consider the sportapro's with those mods!

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #409 of 1,313
The PortaPro is my nighttime and travelling headphone set. The bag that comes with them is too small for use, so I'll order one of the Good Cans bags instead.

These are light and comfortable enough to wear at night AND in the 90+ degree weather with high humidity we are experiencing on the Kitsap Peninsula this weekend.

Pairing these with my Cowon iAudio 10 is a near-perfect combination--long battery life, small size, BBE processing for those times when only mp3 files are available for some tracks, with the ability to play flac, ogg, etc. formats. I've never used their online conversion utility to load and play a video, as I feel the screen is too small for this. The FM radio in the player works well IF you are either in a strong signal area or add a 10' extension cord to the headphones and elevate and/or extend said cord.

The sound is just right for portable listening-just enough noise isolation to help, but not enough to cut one off from cars, buses and similar road hazards encountered by walkers. I find the headphone to provide a quality, very balanced listening experience. The bass is good, but not overpowering. Cranking up the bass with the iAudio can satisfy most bass-head needs. Highs are there, midrange is good and separation and definition are better than they should be in a fifty dollar headphone.

As Neil Gaiman said of sharks and paperclips, some designs simply work, and don't need to be changed. Kudos to Koss for keeping this model around for nearly 30 years. I hope it sells as long as headphones are needed or wanted.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #410 of 1,313
I have a Krammer Mod pair of Koss Portapros that I stuck into the Howard Leight L0F Earmuffs that I painted Mahogony.  Still the same great sound, and actually a little better I think.  Its spaced out a little from your ear so the bass so overpowering, but it is very apparent ;P.  Im aware this cancels out the perc of the Portapros being extremely light weight.  They weigh about 10 ounces now, but i weed eat and mow a lot, and damn do these L0Fs do a good job of canceling out sound.  Thats my pair of Portapros, I love them.  I just gotta make them a little more comfortable...

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #413 of 1,313
The highs don't have that much shimmer. The midrange is kind of boring. The midbass/bass is loose and sloppy. That latter bit there is what makes them fun though for using with your phone when you're out doing something. 

They're also one of the more interesting headphones you can wear. People seem to have SOMETHING to say about them. Then when you let people listen to them they usually really seem to like them. 

PS: I hope the right-angle jack is sturdier than the straight jack because that's what broke on the last pair and I just can't remember to get around to fulfilling the warranty. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #414 of 1,313
Hmm. I sound too down on it when I'm really not. Sorry about that guys. I'd been thinking about getting a second pair for a while. I shouldn't expect it to perform like/or compare it to my AKGs. I have not put much thought into portable headphones for the past twelve months or so however I think I should pick up some other similar models see how they compare. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #415 of 1,313
Quote:
The highs don't have that much shimmer. The midrange is kind of boring. The midbass/bass is loose and sloppy. That latter bit there is what makes them fun though for using with your phone when you're out doing something. 

They're also one of the more interesting headphones you can wear. People seem to have SOMETHING to say about them. Then when you let people listen to them they usually really seem to like them. 

PS: I hope the right-angle jack is sturdier than the straight jack because that's what broke on the last pair and I just can't remember to get around to fulfilling the warranty. 

Just a couple of fun suggestions:

1) Get the sportapros. Do the kramer mods (ie drill some holes in the driver cover). Get the Parts Express headband for $7 shipped and throw the sportapro drivers on them. The kramer mods assist to bring out more treble, and having them on the much less firmer clamping parts express headband help control the boomy bass.

2) Even better: get the ksc75's and put them on the parts express headband. Treble much better. Mids are beautiful. Bass is very nice.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #416 of 1,313
So, my Portapros have been sitting on a shelf for several years.  The foam ear pads were mostly disintegrated.  I decided a few days ago to order new pads.  They came in today, so I slapped them on.  WOW, I have really been missing out on some great sound.  I'm definitely going to put these back in my headphone rotation
L3000.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #417 of 1,313
So, my Portapros have been sitting on a shelf for several years.  The foam ear pads were mostly disintegrated.  I decided a few days ago to order new pads.  They came in today, so I slapped them on.  WOW, I have really been missing out on some great sound.  I'm definitely going to put these back in my headphone rotation
L3000.gif

Good for you man.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #418 of 1,313
I just got these yesterday to replace my PX100-II because of comfort issues. I have always avoided on-ear types because they always hurt my ears, but the PortaPros are an exception! Zero discomfort at all.

Does anybody have an idea of a mod I can do to the headband to keep it from retracting? It's just a pain that I need to adjust the headband whenever I need to put them on or take them off when they're hanging around my neck.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #419 of 1,313
I just got these yesterday to replace my PX100-II because of comfort issues. I have always avoided on-ear types because they always hurt my ears, but the PortaPros are an exception! Zero discomfort at all.

Does anybody have an idea of a mod I can do to the headband to keep it from retracting? It's just a pain that I need to adjust the headband whenever I need to put them on or take them off when they're hanging around my neck.

Super glue on both sides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back