Koss Portapro Thread
Dec 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #436 of 1,313
Hmmm... Tyll over at Innerfidelity wrote that the KSC75 is the same driver as the PortaPro 
tongue.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-open

I'll have to put an order in for a set.  For $9.99 you really can't go wrong!  Koss wins either way.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #437 of 1,313
I already posted this on the Kramer Mod thread for the KSC 75 but if you didn't know, Charles Altmann of the infamous USD $2K+ Terra-Player recommends the Koss PortaPro w/ Kramer mod to go with his very expensive high quality DAP.

Here's the link to the Terra-Player page.
http://www.tera-player.com/

and a link to his Kramer mod pic.
http://www.tera-player.com/TERA_pics/koss_17_holes.jpg

For those who don't know what the Kramer mod is, it's basically drilling some holes into the grill that holds the driver.  Charles does a 17 hole mod!

Will probably mod mine this week if I have time to get a 1/8" drill bit.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #438 of 1,313
Got a KSC75 and they are definitely different from the the PortaPro. They are not as bassy as the PortaPro. Much brighter but don't seem to get strident and sumbilant.

Just modded my PortaPro as well. Drilled the 17 holes into the grill like Charles Altmann suggested. Much better bass.

I love these Koss headphones! Not sure why I've been wasting my money all this time. Might get a few more to play around with. So good and so fun!

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #439 of 1,313
I thought I'd chime in and report a successful warranty replacement.  Not long ago the wiring started to go on one side with the audio dropping out after a couple years of daily usage... so I mailed them in with a note and a $9.00 money order for return shipping, just like the website says.  About a week later, they mailed me a new pair, along with my money order.  The first class box only needed $2.40 of postage so I guess they didn't need it.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #440 of 1,313
Getting ready to join the KPP posse, liking the look and price of the KTC model; was going to snag the PX100-IIi but they are so damn expensive for portables, plus I like the teal on the KPP :p I loved the sound of the Senns but it was a little dark, hoping for a bit more sparkle to match my DT770 and TF10. I love doing simple little mods, like stuffing the pads on my DT770s which has helped lighten/tighten the bass a bit, and it seems the KPP is extremely moddable, which I'm stoked about.

Anyone have the KTC model? Any feedback on mic quality or its placement on the cable?

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #441 of 1,313
Getting ready to join the KPP posse, liking the look and price of the KTC model; was going to snag the PX100-IIi but they are so damn expensive for portables, plus I like the teal on the KPP :p I loved the sound of the Senns but it was a little dark, hoping for a bit more sparkle to match my DT770 and TF10. I love doing simple little mods, like stuffing the pads on my DT770s which has helped lighten/tighten the bass a bit, and it seems the KPP is extremely moddable, which I'm stoked about.

Anyone have the KTC model? Any feedback on mic quality or its placement on the cable?

Two things:
1. I find the PX100 brighter than the KPP. I think many would agree that they're a relatively bright Senn.

2. Mic is decent, and in a comfortable place on the inline.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #442 of 1,313
PX100.... bright?

Y'know Pluto is no longer a planet.  I just thought about planets just now....not sure why?

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #443 of 1,313
Hmmm...I'm curious how you define "bright." Do you mean the overall tonality is lighter? Or there is more sparkle/detail in the treble? Or it extends further? Or the treble is more emphasized over the mids?

Also keep in mind I'm talking about PX100-II, which has a different sound than the original and is said to be a bit darker and bassier.
Two things:
1. I find the PX100 brighter than the KPP. I think many would agree that they're a relatively bright Senn.

2. Mic is decent, and in a comfortable place on the inline.

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #444 of 1,313
Hmmm...I'm curious how you define "bright." Do you mean the overall tonality is lighter? Or there is more sparkle/detail in the treble? Or it extends further? Or the treble is more emphasized over the mids?

Also keep in mind I'm talking about PX100-II, which has a different sound than the original and is said to be a bit darker and bassier.

I'm referring to the PX100 II's better treble extension emphasis. And by bright, I'm speaking in terms relative to the Senn house sound.

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #445 of 1,313
So the PX has more extended highs and emphasizes them more...hmmm. That's interesting as I've read many impressions that say the opposite. Have you tried the KPP with the Kramer and/or quarter hole mods? From what I've read it seems these tend to tighten the bass and give the KPP a more v-shaped sound.

Which would you say has the lighter overall tonal balance? This is partly what I'm after; part of the reason I like the DT770 and TF10 is the dry mids that almost seem colored by the treble. I enjoy full, lush mids sometimes too, especially for indie rock, classical, jazz and other more mellow music, but I usually listen to those genres at home and I have a pair of HD439s for exactly that purpose; right now I'm in the market for portables, which are usually used for EDM and experimental/progressive metal.
I'm referring to the PX100 II's better treble extension emphasis. And by bright, I'm speaking in terms relative to the Senn house sound.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #447 of 1,313
The opposite of dark. For example, the HD650 is pretty dark: its mids are colored towards the bass, rather than the treble, and are very lush, versus my old HD25 and DT770 which have a dry, colder, less thick sound in the midrange due to what I, personally, think of as treble coloration. The HD650 mids sound smooth and warm, and have a slightly foggy, chesty feel despite being forward and rather detailed, whereas the HD25 and DT770's mids are dry and clearer, with a cleaner sound despite being recessed.

My PX sounded very similar to the HD650 in this regard, which I enjoyed for what it was, but I guess I'm hoping the KPP will be at least a little bit more like my DT770 in its mids, because I will use them to listen to EDM and lots of music with electric guitars, for which I prefer that more dry, clear sound, yet still with plump bass, like the HD25 and DT770.

Maybe I just need to save the $50 I'm about to spend on the KPP KTC and get the aluminum HD25 with an amperior mic cable...
I have not tried the Kramer so I can't comment.

Also, what do you mean by "light" balance?

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #448 of 1,313
The opposite of dark. For example, the HD650 is pretty dark: its mids are colored towards the bass, rather than the treble, and are very lush, versus my DT770 which has dry, colder, less thick sound in the midrange due to what I, personally, think of as treble coloration. The HD650 mids sound smooth and warm, and have a slightly foggy, chesty feel despite being forward and rather detailed, whereas the DT770's mids are dry and clearer, with a cleaner sound despite being recessed.

Then yes I'd say that the PX100 to me is lighter. I've heard the HD600 and 650 and to my ears the PX100 is lighter than both.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #449 of 1,313
Yeah it is a bit lighter than either, but generally sounds similar. So I'm right to infer that you'd say the KPP's tonality is closer to the bigger Senns' warmth and smoothness?

*sigh* I really like the more dynamic, open sound of the PX100, and was hoping the KPP could be a middle ground between it and the HD25, which I like but gets boring just like the UM3X did due to the closed in sound, but I guess I was wrong. I'm still going to grab them to play with and mod, but thank you for tempering my expectations.

I think what I really want is a portable Grado with fuller bass...maybe when I have more money I'll get brave and try an open back mod on some HD25s...
Then yes I'd say that the PX100 to me is lighter. I've heard the HD600 and 650 and to my ears the PX100 is lighter than both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back