Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #453 of 1,312
The opposite of dark. For example, the HD650 is pretty dark: its mids are colored towards the bass, rather than the treble, and are very lush, versus my old HD25 and DT770 which have a dry, colder, less thick sound in the midrange due to what I, personally, think of as treble coloration. The HD650 mids sound smooth and warm, and have a slightly foggy, chesty feel despite being forward and rather detailed, whereas the HD25 and DT770's mids are dry and clearer, with a cleaner sound despite being recessed.

My PX sounded very similar to the HD650 in this regard, which I enjoyed for what it was, but I guess I'm hoping the KPP will be at least a little bit more like my DT770 in its mids, because I will use them to listen to EDM and lots of music with electric guitars, for which I prefer that more dry, clear sound, yet still with plump bass, like the HD25 and DT770.

Maybe I just need to save the $50 I'm about to spend on the KPP KTC and get the aluminum HD25 with an amperior mic cable...

To my ears, you will get what you are looking for with the Portapros. I'm listening to the 2:45 mark of Radiohead's Paranoid Android with both the Sportapros (kramered and on parts express headband) and the PX100II's, and to my ears the Sportapro mids (vocals, electric guitar etc) are indeed more forward, less veiled, dryer and clearer (sounds fantastic actually).

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #454 of 1,312
Excellent. That is the kind of direct, concrete comparison I've been waiting for.

I think I may actually purchase the KSC75 as well and start experimenting with mods and maybe even driver swaps...
To my ears, you will get what you are looking for with the Portapros. I'm listening to the 2:45 mark of Radiohead's Paranoid Android with both the Sportapros (kramered and on parts express headband) and the PX100II's, and to my ears the Sportapro mids (vocals, electric guitar etc) are indeed more forward, less veiled, dryer and clearer (sounds fantastic actually).

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #456 of 1,312
I wasn't listening directly for treble roll-off, so I'll try to do so. Btw, are your portapros kramered?

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #458 of 1,312
Jan 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #459 of 1,312

Neutrik I'm back!

People always say you gotta have those Neutriks. I had these on my interconnects before but I don't know how good they are cos I don't have a reference point to do an A/B.

The 3.5mm jack on my Porta Pro failed on me recently. Instead of using its lifetime warranty and get it replaced for free, I decided to try these out. At SGD$20 (US$15.50), just for these is quite a damage, a small bomb. But it's a bomb worth paying for. I'm hearing more stuff in my music that I haven't heard before. It cleans up the sound and allows more details to shine. Having several Porta Pros, I can safely say it improves the sound.

So there you go, if your 3.5mm plug fails, look no further, get those Neutriks!

A little update. These are a revelation. SGD$20 seems cheap at this point. Each and every song, I'm hearing more stuff and differences. What a joy. They say if you got a ER4, you have to re-listen to your entire music collection. I think these Neutriks might be the case too. I do not wish to bring my ER4 out of retirement yet, it might spoil it for me. I'm enjoying the moment, the SGD$20 Neutrik.

(SGD is Singapore Dollars)

If only Koss uses higher quality jacks...

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #460 of 1,312

Neutrik I'm back!

People always say you gotta have those Neutriks. I had these on my interconnects before but I don't know how good they are cos I don't have a reference point to do an A/B.

The 3.5mm jack on my Porta Pro failed on me recently. Instead of using its lifetime warranty and get it replaced for free, I decided to try these out. At SGD$20 (US$15.50), just for these is quite a damage, a small bomb. But it's a bomb worth paying for. I'm hearing more stuff in my music that I haven't heard before. It cleans up the sound and allows more details to shine. Having several Porta Pros, I can safely say it improves the sound.

So there you go, if your 3.5mm plug fails, look no further, get those Neutriks!

A little update. These are a revelation. SGD$20 seems cheap at this point. Each and every song, I'm hearing more stuff and differences. What a joy. They say if you got a ER4, you have to re-listen to your entire music collection. I think these Neutriks might be the case too. I do not wish to bring my ER4 out of retirement yet, it might spoil it for me. I'm enjoying the moment, the SGD$20 Neutrik.

(SGD is Singapore Dollars)

If only Koss uses higher quality jacks...

So you're saying that the piece of metal that transfers the signal from the portable to the cable has improve the sound quality?

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #461 of 1,312
So you're saying that the piece of metal that transfers the signal from the portable to the cable has improve the sound quality?

Yup, I never believed it will improve anything, that's why I never changed or have it re-cabled till it failed on me. Mainly details, its clearer but it doesn't have much difference when it comes to bass or treble. In short, the Koss sound signature is still the same but clearer.

Edit:
This is what I think and will recommend. If your 3.5mm plug is fine, its better to save your money and go for better headphones. If its a goner, then its better to invest in these Neutriks than sending it back to Koss for US$9.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #462 of 1,312
Still love them. I still like them better than my MDR-V6's

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #463 of 1,312
Have spent the last week taking the PX 100-II with me literally everywhere including a short flight. I feel like I got a good idea as to what they can offer at this point and spent the last day comparing it directly to the Porta Pro. Took some time this morning to write up a comparison of the two. Any feedback is welcomed. Enjoy!

Portable Comparison: Koss Porta Pro vs Sennheiser PX 100-II

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #464 of 1,312
Been spending some more time with both of these lately and I think I need to qualify my observations regarding the Sennheiser brightness earlier.

I don't find it to be a bright Headphone at all; but it is brighter for a Senn. (all I can think of is the HD 650 ) To me they rolloff similarly in the treble, while the PP has a less warm mid range - which compared to the warmth of the Senn, is going to seem like it has more brightness.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #465 of 1,312
Been spending some more time with both of these lately and I think I need to qualify my observations regarding the Sennheiser brightness earlier.

I don't find it to be a bright Headphone at all; but it is brighter for a Senn. (all I can think of is the HD 650 ) To me they rolloff similarly in the treble, while the PP has a less warm mid range - which compared to the warmth of the Senn, is going to seem like it has more brightness.

Maybe I didn't convey that right then. I'm saying it's brighter than the PX 100-II and that's exactly why I prefer the sound of the Porta Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back