Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #466 of 1,312
So I've given my PPs some burn in time and listened with different genres and they are really growing on me now for more low key electronic music, which is a lot of what I listen to. They do guitars decently, but the KSC75 is better for acoustic and classical for sure. I think the Portapros are designed for exactly what I was wanting, though, which is listening on the go. The extra bass makes things a little muddy sounding when listening at home in a quiet room, but when I took them with me for a walk around my neighborhood, I noticed that the extra bass almost served like an outdoor eq, masking most of the ambient noise and letting the rest of the music come through. I can still hear outside noise just fine, but it seemed like the veil I heard indoors lifts to a degree and just helped put the rest of the sound forward. On the bus with them at the moment: obviously they aren't ideal for the purpose as they dont isolate much, but the sound seems more appropriate here.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #468 of 1,312
  Hi, I've just ordered a pair of portapros! but would anyone have any recommendations of headband padding to use? 

You honestly don't need padding for them. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #470 of 1,312
Hi, I've just ordered a pair of portapros! but would anyone have any recommendations of headband padding to use? 

Wouldn't worry about it at all. Don't know how you'd be able to use padding anyway since the entire headband moves for adjustment and storage. You'll see as soon as you open them up and try them.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #471 of 1,312
OK, been using the Portapros for a few days now, all I can say is I wish they were built better. They definitely have the extra treble presence I was missing with the PX100-II; if they were built like the Senns and had a 1-sided cable, I'd probably sell everything else except my DT770.

I suppose the bass could be tighter; its great for electronic, but when I listen to rock I find that kicks and bass tend to overshadow guitars, and the midbass bleed makes them a bit veiled. But for use outside/commuting its not really noticeable.

Overall they sound great for the price, and they're splitting time with my TF10s at the moment.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #472 of 1,312
OK, been using the Portapros for a few days now, all I can say is I wish they were built better. They definitely have the extra treble presence I was missing with the PX100-II; if they were built like the Senns and had a 1-sided cable, I'd probably sell everything else except my DT770.

I suppose the bass could be tighter; its great for electronic, but when I listen to rock I find that kicks and bass tend to overshadow guitars, and the mid bass bleed makes them a bit veiled. But for use outside/commuting its not really noticeable.

Overall they sound great for the price, and they're splitting time with my TF10s at the moment.

I think they are built fine for $35.
Mine lasted 2 years but my parents ended up running over the cable with a chair, and then standing up not noticing they were still wearing them which yanked it out of the plug. I used them one time while long boarding and fell hitting them on the ground; still did not break. It only costs $9 (shipping) to replace them. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #473 of 1,312
I suppose the bass could be tighter; its great for electronic, but when I listen to rock I find that kicks and bass tend to overshadow guitars, and the midbass bleed makes them a bit veiled.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #474 of 1,312
^ I meant to add... Kramer mod.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #476 of 1,312
Already did it, got 9 holes on the inside.

Not the cleanest :p Would doing holes in the outside tighten up the bass?

Thanks for the pic - gave me a chuckle! Looks like it should do the trick though. What I did with my ksc75's was to replace the driver cover with steel mesh - so that's a thought.

What I would suggest you try though is while listening to one of your rock songs, pull the drivers slightly away from your ears so that they only have slight pressure on your ears. Doing that would mimic having the drivers on the parts express headband. I find that makes a big difference with the bass boomy-ness and bleed into the mids.

So although I'm pretty confident that you would like the SQ by putting the drivers on the parts express headband, ultimately they wouldn't improve the build or make them single sided. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #477 of 1,312

I got these PX200 style copy from eBay, not originals but I think its similar. Tightens up the bass but also brings the mids forward slightly.

This is how it looks with the acoustic fabric removed.
Sorry for the poor photos, iPhone 5 's camera isn't quite as good as a digital camera.

Edit:
Maybe you should try flexing the steel headband to make it fit looser on your head and use the 'Light' comfort zone setting.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #479 of 1,312
I loosened up the headband a bit when I got them; more than I meant to, actually, and the sound is better for it, but the fit isn't as secure as I would like though.

Yeah, there's only so much you can do. But they sound incredible for the price no matter how you slice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back