Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 7, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #45,601 of 63,836
I have a question: A lot of people were talking a while back about the ZSN Pro sounding almost identical to ZS10 Pro except for having brighter treble. Now, everyone hails the ZS10 Pro as the best KZ iem (rightfully so) but no one even mentions the ZSN Pro despite it being $16. Where does ZSN Pro "rank" among KZ's lineup? Is it actually close to ZS10 Pro, or is it just good for the price?
Zs7

Jul 7, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #45,602 of 63,836
I have a question: A lot of people were talking a while back about the ZSN Pro sounding almost identical to ZS10 Pro except for having brighter treble. Now, everyone hails the ZS10 Pro as the best KZ iem (rightfully so) but no one even mentions the ZSN Pro despite it being $16. Where does ZSN Pro "rank" among KZ's lineup? Is it actually close to ZS10 Pro, or is it just good for the price?

ZSN Pro is great (so is the regular ZSN). I agree, it doesn’t get talked about as much.

I’d rank my personal favorites and bang for the buck from most expensive to least expensive):

~$40 - ZS10 Pro
~$30 - ZS7
~$15 - ZSN Pro, ZSN
~$10 - ED9
~$5 - EDR1

So really, there’s a great KZ at multiple budget levels. The ZSN Pro (or ZSN depending on personal preference) is right there, and is the best KZ at the ~$15 price tier IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #45,603 of 63,836
ZSN Pro is great (so is the regular ZSN). I agree, it doesn’t get talked about as much.

I’d rank my personal favorites and bang for the buck from most expensive to least expensive):

~$40 - ZS10 Pro
~$30 - ZS7
~$15 - ZSN Pro, ZSN
~$10 - ED9
~$5 - EDR1

So really, there’s a great KZ at multiple budget levels. The ZSN Pro (or ZSN depending on personal preference) is right there, and is the best KZ at the ~$15 price tier IMO.

Been using my regular ZSN lately. I'd throw those in the mix if you lean towards more bass heavy music and you still want to be in the same <$20 budget

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #45,604 of 63,836
I got ZSN pro (and regular ZSN) and ZS10 pro (and regular ZS10 but they're not similar signature at all).
ZSN pro and ZS10 pro share similar sound signature, a shallow v shaped signature that more much more balance signature compared to ususl KZ deep v shaped signature.
They're very similar in signature, just ZS10 pro got benefit from multi driver so they're more detailed, better in separation, and soundstage is larger in ZS10 pro

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #45,608 of 63,836

~$40 - ZS10 Pro
~$30 - ZS7
~$15 - ZSN Pro, ZSN
~$10 - ED9
~$5 - EDR1

And ~$20 - ZSR ? :) One of the only two KZs I own.
Actually I was wondering if you could please review (at audioreviews.org) the ZSR as though it was a new release by KZ - and compare it to, say, ZS7 & ZS10P.

And, please suggest a MMCX cable costing < $10 for my just received ****, which is my fave IEM as of now. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #45,609 of 63,836
Actually I was wondering if you could please review (at audioreviews.org) the ZSR as though it was a new release by KZ - and compare it to, say, ZS7 & ZS10P.

And, please suggest a MMCX cable costing < $10 for my just received ****, which is my fave IEM as of now. Thanks.

For the cable, the NiceHCK 8-core and 16-core cables are made well and sound fine (the brown cables). But there’s other good cables to pick from too, so it’s not like the NiceHCK are the only option. There’s a actually a while thread dedicated to budget cables.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

As far as the ZSR, there’s lots of reviews on that already, since it’s been out so long.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zsr.22905/

The ZSR is pretty bulky (big shell, bug nozzle), and doesn’t fit my ears as comfortably as the ZST-style shell (which covers ZST, ZSN, ZSN Pro, ZS10 Pro, CCA C10, and CCA CA4). But YMMV. As far as sound, it’s good. The treble can be a bit too much for some people (kind of like the ZS6), but it’s got powerful low end and the mids are great for vocals. The soundstage is big as well.

Bottom line is that the ZSR is good (and isn’t a piece of crap by any means). But I think there’s better options out now.

I’m sure others will chime in as well :)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #45,610 of 63,836
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #45,611 of 63,836
Jul 8, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #45,612 of 63,836

I did enjoy a lot the ZSR when it went out, but today, KZ does much better earphones.
ZSR is very bassy, Mediums (voices) are recessed, the bass bleed a bit on mediums, trebles are sometimes sibillant. Few details.
Compared with AS10 or even ZSN, it is night and day.

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #45,614 of 63,836
Wow this mod added a little more space for my ZS10 pro probably due to longer nozzle on the tips.

Yeah, I think the longer nozzle, plus the trumpet shape at the end, plus the slightly wider and softer radius bore all contributes.

In addition, the OD increases slightly, which improves the seal for a lot of people.

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #45,615 of 63,836
Yeah, I think the longer nozzle, plus the trumpet shape at the end, plus the slightly wider and softer radius bore all contributes.

In addition, the OD increases slightly, which improves the seal for a lot of people.

and, sadly causes a medium flip tip to be too large for me. Too bad that the mod is impossible to do with a small. I am happy enough with my medium stock Starlines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back