Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 7, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #33,167 of 63,929
From a purely personal point of view, I prefer the ZS10, it has more layering, each instrument has a depth and height to it's positioning, there is more emotion when fed from a really good source. The ZSA is good and if you fit the foam tips and get a good seal, they are bass cannons but they tend to overwhelm the midrange when used like this. I find it difficult to explain what I mean about the ZS10, it plays emotion, the bass is good, even great but not massive and over powering, the midrange is lightly recessed but having run them for some hours now, that is improving as well and the treble is just spot on for me. For the money, they are brilliant! Of course there are better devices but at what price... And as always, each person has their own opinions based upon their own natural programming, which is never wrong .

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #33,168 of 63,929
ZS10 is my fav .. vs ZS6..KST..ZS3 ( i had a few others which i have given away)
First 2days, the ZS10 sounded diffused.. kinda letdown...needed some burn in. :p
experimented with diff types of buds, finally settled on M sized buds that came with the package.

Staging/Imaging on the ZS10 is superior to all the other KZs,
the ZS6 cane close, but the ZS10 fills in more "musical pixels" deep into the soundstage,
an inexpensive street-combo : samsungfone+ spotify + ZS10 to enjoy some classical/expansive music at Macdonalds.
( Gladiators..Last Samurai...Star Wars.. Hans ZImmer etc)

At home, via the Audiogd amp...ZS10 is v capable..v clear..nothing sloppy..excellent vocals...tight bass..soaring highs.
hard to fault for less than usd$40

above is just a short post to cast a vote for the ZS10..
dun ask me for more specifics... havnt been posting for a season :p

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #33,169 of 63,929
Well, thanks to Massdrop, I'll now have a pair of green ZS6 coming in soon. Not much of a savings ($39 landed), but at least I know where it's coming from.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #33,170 of 63,929
i need another kz like a case of hives, but if you were to choose between the ed16, zsa and es4, which would it be?

I have yet to hear an ES4 and am tempted to get the green one but first I should listen to my husbands black one.

I did try the ZSA but it was out of phase at the time when I listened... but I will say that I am in the minority it seems in not liking the form factor. If I am going to go to the trouble of arranging a cable around my ear I would rather just use my ZS6, ZSR or ZS10. I actually had a hard time grasping it to position it and again when removing it. The larger shells are easier for me but I suspect no one else will think so.

I really love my ED16. I really want to spend much more time with it but this week have been sidetracked by a new non KZ IEM and a new bud.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #33,171 of 63,929
I have yet to hear an ES4 and am tempted to get the green one but first I should listen to my husbands black one.

I did try the ZSA but it was out of phase at the time when I listened... but I will say that I am in the minority it seems in not liking the form factor. If I am going to go to the trouble of arranging a cable around my ear I would rather just use my ZS6, ZSR or ZS10. I actually had a hard time grasping it to position it and again when removing it. The larger shells are easier for me but I suspect no one else will think so.

I really love my ED16. I really want to spend much more time with it but this week have been sidetracked by a new non KZ IEM and a new bud.
Size-wise, how would you put the ED16 next to the ZS10?

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #33,172 of 63,929
Size-wise, how would you put the ED16 next to the ZS10?

The ED16 is much smaller than the ZS10... I will take a picture and edit this post. I know I said I did not like how small the ZSA is but the shape is very different. BTW, I do like small IEMs that go straight in and are worn cable down like the ED9

edit: here are the photos. The ZS10 is not only bigger but it is also thicker than the ED16. The ED16 lies flat in my ear... I could lie on my side with it. The ZS10 sticks out but does not bother me .However the tips I am using are the only ones that made them fit right and I am not even sure what they are unfortunately.

R0013382.JPG
R0013384.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #33,174 of 63,929
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #33,175 of 63,929

actually, the smaller form factor appeals to me--the zs5 and zs6 are a tough fit; the zsr is more ergonomic but big and sorta unweildy-looking

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #33,177 of 63,929
actually, the smaller form factor appeals to me--the zs5 and zs6 are a tough fit; the zsr is more ergonomic but big and sorta unweildy-looking

All three of the ones you were thinking about ..ED16, ES4 and ZSA are smallish. I have seen and held all three.... just not heard them all. Like I said there was something about the ZSA that just made it awkward for me to grasp them properly to position them....and then I had to kind of dig them out. Probably I am just weird.

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #33,178 of 63,929
First post,
Hi ya'll, Im looking to buy first pair of KZ's. Love bass. Like great balance too. Thinking about the es4s. From what ive been reading, they have been getting good reviews. ES4, ZS 10, ED16, or ZSA? Which has the deepest and best bass, with other benefits. Forgive my lack of audiophile knowledge and terminology, novice here. Thanks

Ive read they can have some spikes in the treble department (me no likey), but can be tamed and broken in, or "burned in" - guessing that means just to play different types of music for an extended period of time to mellow them out a bit.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #33,179 of 63,929
Started playing around with EW on the ES4 based on suggestions from Photograph. If I'm way off here, please feel free to make suggestions. My goal was to tame some of the treble energy and clean up midbass bleed.

Screenshot_20180607-100012__01.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #33,180 of 63,929
First post,
Hi ya'll, Im looking to buy first pair of KZ's. Love bass. Like great balance too. Thinking about the es4s. From what ive been reading, they have been getting good reviews. ES4, ZS 10, ED16, or ZSA? Which has the deepest and best bass, with other benefits. Forgive my lack of audiophile knowledge and terminology, novice here. Thanks

Hello and welcome! I heard ES4 has an excellent bass extend and overall energetic bass quality and quantity. They got a so-little mid recess, so i guess you could call it balanced. Plus, they have a good response to equalizer so you could set then yourself if you don’t like a bit of their sound

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back