Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #33,136 of 63,834
So, You are:
1) using balanced cables to compare them.
but...
2) what source gear are You comparing with?
3) what amping You use?
4) what tips do You use and what size?
5) what music You mainly use to compare them?

I am:
1) using single ended cable with neutrik hq 90`jack (cable measures 0.2Ohm for R/L/G)
2) using HW & FW modified DX50 @ FLAC-only, <0.5 Ohm output impedance
3) using HW modified DX50 amping @ high gain ( 3.1V / 80mA juice per channel)
4) using Auvio S size wide bore tips
5) using mainly progressive rock with great masterings like Steven Wilson, Porcupine tree, Gazpacho, TOOL; Seven Impale, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta etc.

IT01 has best low-mids I`ve heard in IEM so far (even comparable with Asura 2.0 earbud, which has very good mids) with no bleed between mid-bass/bass/low-mids.
I generally use my hiby r6 balanced without iematch on these two pairs, but also listened SE to both on my cayin n3, sometimes paired with the fiio a5. Most of my files are flac or 320kbps mp3, and the quality of recording varies. Good staging is often captured better by live recordings that technically aren't recorded well, I also listen to some binaural stuff just for fun. I have a soundstage playlist I use, but I wiped it out by accident and am building a new one (kept separate from the binaural stuff). It's a mix of genres but prog rock, Dave Matthews, mtv unplugged albums are good examples, and some quasi jazz stuff like gogo penguin or the Mercury program predominate that list...

In general I like using the large starlines with the kz zs10 and my new bee foams with the it01 but also use the same new bees on the zs10 frequently too.

Am I the only one who makes playlists like "male vocals", "soundstage", "bass extension", "sparkle", "dynamic range" instead of normal people playlists, or does everyone here organise their music like a weirdo too?

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #33,137 of 63,834
Am I the only one who makes playlists like "male vocals", "soundstage", "bass extension", "sparkle", "dynamic range" instead of normal people playlists, or does everyone here organise their music like a weirdo too?

Maybe I am the weirdo. I only listen to full albums.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #33,138 of 63,834
100 bux for a supposedly Knowles 5BA IEM is quite nice.

No way all (10) BAs are Knowles for that price. Often times on these ChiFi IEMs, they have 1 Knowles (or a dual Knowles like the bass BA), and other manufacturers for the other drivers.

A competently tuned multi-BA can sound amazingly natural even without the presence of a DD.

That’s the million dollar question. Unfortunately, the list of ChiFi companies that can consistently pull that off isn’t that large.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #33,140 of 63,834
I only have access to the KZ silver upgrade cable and the es3 stock cable. Both are too thick to fit

But the KZ silver upgrade cable is offered in 2 different versions of ends.

Which one of these does your 2-pin end look like (left or right)?

2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #33,142 of 63,834
I generally use my hiby r6 balanced without iematch on these two pairs, but also listened SE to both on my cayin n3, sometimes paired with the fiio a5. Most of my files are flac or 320kbps mp3, and the quality of recording varies. Good staging is often captured better by live recordings that technically aren't recorded well, I also listen to some binaural stuff just for fun. I have a soundstage playlist I use, but I wiped it out by accident and am building a new one (kept separate from the binaural stuff). It's a mix of genres but prog rock, Dave Matthews, mtv unplugged albums are good examples, and some quasi jazz stuff like gogo penguin or the Mercury program predominate that list...

In general I like using the large starlines with the kz zs10 and my new bee foams with the it01 but also use the same new bees on the zs10 frequently too.

In Spotify? If so: love to receive the links to the soundstage and extension lists. :)

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #33,143 of 63,834
I wonder what the purpose of the big open grille is, when BAs are sealed?

They mostly don't need but...
Bunch of BAs have vents. Knowles HODVTEC has 4 vents, there are a lot of ED drivers with vents, CI drivers have large vents on the front always... even TWFK has a vent on one of the BAs.

Now, do they actually need the air to move freely from the shells to the outside or is the additional air in the shells enough, that is a complicated question for manufacturer to determine for the given shells/BAs used/target frequency response.
It's easy to bash KZ for fake design elements like screws on ZS6 but I'd wait for this all BA IEM to come out and then see. I can only assume that there are more vents than there need to be.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #33,144 of 63,834
just ordered the ES4 and ZSA if they are as good as everyone claims I'll get rid of my ATR, ZST, ZS3(black), ZSR(green) znd ZS10(blue) and just keep those two.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #33,145 of 63,834
No way all (10) BAs are Knowles for that price. Often times on these ChiFi IEMs, they have 1 Knowles (or a dual Knowles like the bass BA), and other manufacturers for the other drivers.

That’s the million dollar question. Unfortunately, the list of ChiFi companies that can consistently pull that off isn’t that large.

Maybe I should've put "allegedly", but that sounds a bit vilifying.

if a small workshop can tune a 100 bux 5BA IEM to match the sound sig of the SE846, I'm hope they can at least achieve "competent" tuning. Of course, "good for the price" doesn't cut it now, it seems. Its always gotta be "giant-killers".:slight_frown:

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #33,150 of 63,834
Yes, they are beautifully made
Looking forward to your analysis on sound quality since I'm looking for a complimentary pair to the ES4. ZS6 has been on my radar, but if they've managed to hash out some of the issues between generations, I'd like to go that route instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back