Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #30,961 of 63,836
When you say bass filters for the ED9, do you mean the duller or the brighter more shiny one? I keep getting confused when people say which one they prefer.

Bass filters are the shiny gold-plated ones. They are a tad shorter, and have a smaller opening at the end. If you look inside of the filter, there's a piece of black foam stuck in.

The other filters (called alto by KZ) are dull (not shiny) brass colored, a tad longer, and have a larger opening at the end. If you look inside of the filter, there's nothing inside (just empty space).

Hope that helps

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #30,962 of 63,836
The other filters (called alto by KZ) are dull (not shiny) brass colored, a tad longer, and have a larger opening at the end. If you look inside of the filter, there's nothing inside (just empty space).

This is the one I like best.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #30,964 of 63,836
I don't understand why whether analog or digital recording equipment is used makes a difference as to whether microphone used, placement, etc could or could not introduce an endless set of variables that can skew…

Or did you mean something different than what you've written?

The point I was making is the variables involved when considering "natural" sound. In the examples I provided one can clearly detect the difference in vocal positioning. The reason I always post a given track in reviews and posts is because I want the reader to have full access to what I describe.

Suppose I reference a track (Ella Fitzgerald's "Basin Street Blues") in my post or review and I write "it sounds as though I am in the second row and Ella is singing to me". If the reader accesses file#1 below then he/she might be able to identify with my observations. However, if the reader looks up Ella Fitzgerald's "Basin Street Blues" on his/her own and listens to file#2 then my description would be confusing because file#2 (which is "Basin Street Blues" sung by Ella Fitzgerald) sounds as though I am perhaps 80 to 100 feet away from Ella and she's singing to a crowded room and not to me per se. Where the microphone was placed during the recording is the defining factor.

File#2:

File#1:

My original comments were directed toward early jazz and early orchestral/symphony recordings.

Just be mindful that orchestral recordings and jazz recordings prior to the digital revolution introduce an endless set of variables that can skew ones interpretation of what sounds "natural"(microphone used, placement of microphone, recording equipment, etc.).

There is an endless debate regarding recording methods of three of the main houses:
("multi-microphone recording" better known as "multi-micing")

Deutsche Grammophon (DG)
RCA/Victrola
CBS (Columbia)

.....and what effects said methods had on the final product.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #30,965 of 63,836
The point I was making is the variables involved when considering "natural" sound. In the examples I provided one can clearly detect the difference in vocal positioning. The reason I always post a given track in reviews and posts is because I want the reader to have full access to what I describe.

Suppose I reference a track (Ella Fitzgerald's "Basin Street Blues") in my post or review and I write "it sounds as though I am in the second row and Ella is singing to me". If the reader accesses file#1 below then he/she might be able to identify with my observations. However, if the reader looks up Ella Fitzgerald's "Basin Street Blues" on his/her own and listens to file#2 then my description would be confusing because file#2 (which is "Basin Street Blues" sung by Ella Fitzgerald) sounds as though I am perhaps 80 to 100 feet away from Ella and she's singing to a crowded room and not to me per se. Where the microphone was placed during the recording is the defining factor.

File#1

File#2:

My original comments were directed toward early jazz and early orchestral/symphony recordings.

There is an endless debate regarding recording methods (multi-microphone recording better known as multi-micing) of three of the main houses.......

Deutsche Grammophon (DG)
RCA/Victrola
CBS (Columbia)

.....and what effects said methods had on the final product.

I'd love to have the vocals of #1 with the instruments of #2!

Anyways, thanks for sharing this. I definitely see what you mean about the differences.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #30,966 of 63,836
I made a stink that attracted a CTV camera team to my living room. I was on TV in Calgary and Vancouver:
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/delayed-delivery-canada-post-says-you-get-what-you-pay-for-1.3446303

So that was you in that video with the glasses?

What that that green cutter thing you bought? It had odd angled blades that were at such an extreme angle, it looks like it wouldn't cut melon or whatever properly.

Screenshot 2018-04-18 at 7.29.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #30,967 of 63,836
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #30,968 of 63,836
So that was you in that video with the glasses?

What that that green cutter thing you bought? It had odd angled blades that were at such an extreme angle, it looks like it wouldn't cut melon or whatever properly.

I was the guy with the earphones and the German accent!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #30,969 of 63,836
my ZS6 came today and the right side connector is loose... tried to put instant glue on it and it went into a pin hole -_- luckly i cleaned mostly, however i haven't found a solution. What's the name of those screws?

I've modded them by tapping one of the BA from each side, it sounds miles better now (i used glue and a small ball of paper), and rubber tips from vsonic.

I did glued all the 4 BA's and it ruined the sound, fortunatley i could wipe the glue ball (mostly)...

i just want to solve that loose connection but opening this seems to be a challenge.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #30,970 of 63,836
I was the guy with the earphones and the German accent!

Oh, I see. It was the 2nd video.

Wow, you are a TV star LOL

So what were the IEMs you showed on TV for $13.50? I wasn't able to identify them. They any good? :)

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #30,971 of 63,836
Oh, I see. It was the 2nd video.

Wow, you are a TV star LOL

So what were the IEMs you showed on TV for $13.50? I wasn't able to identify them. They any good? :)

I had been a TV star all along :)...this one ends up with beer and wine as always.

The Calgary coverage was longer but harder to find.

The earphones shown on TV were the Joyroom JR-E103. Well made but problematic sounding. See audiobudget.

Delayed delivery_ Canada Post says you get what you pay for | CTV Vancouver News.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #30,972 of 63,836
Just ordered a pair of black no-mic ZSR. First KZ purchase.

Hoping it lives up to the hype! I expect DUNU-2000 level performance for $30! :)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #30,973 of 63,836
I did glued all the 4 BA's and it ruined the sound, fortunatley i could wipe the glue ball (mostly)...

Yeah, gluing all 4 BA's would change the issue from too much treble to no treble

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #30,974 of 63,836
my ZS6 came today and the right side connector is loose... tried to put instant glue on it and it went into a pin hole -_- luckly i cleaned mostly, however i haven't found a solution. What's the name of those screws?

I've modded them by tapping one of the BA from each side, it sounds miles better now (i used glue and a small ball of paper), and rubber tips from vsonic.

i just want to solve that loose connection but opening this seems to be a challenge.

Cant tell if you are trolling.... You can open the shell with removing by using a torx screwdriver which will then give you a better angle to the 2 pin connector port but if your connectors fit; just leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back