Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #30,886 of 63,916
Thanks for your observations here, Otto, particularly regarding the HDS1. To my ears, the initial batch of the ZS3's sound like an HDS1 (rich vocals and slightly rolled treble) coupled to a subwoofer. Would it be reaching to suspect the ZS10 might be a more refined ZS3? I ask because the common thread in several posts regarding the ZS10 seems to be "rolled-off treble and elevated lower frequencies". The bass response in particular is why I included the "We're All We Need" track for comparison. Most of the other tracks are for evaluating the forwardness of lower-midrange to lower-treble frequencies since KZ "apparently" doubled the output (2 balanced armatures) per frequency range).

Thanks for your time.
I don't know the ZS3 very well as mine sound awful - from memory the ZS3 sounded dark with a small soundstage and recessed, however harsh mids. I can't see a relationship between the ZS3 and ZS10. The ZS10's allegedly elevated lower frequencies are contradicting the phonograph's review. And another head fier writes that the ZS10 sound like the ZSR but with less bass. To me, the ZS10's mid bass is overemphasized.

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #30,888 of 63,916
As I have highlighted previously, there are 2 versions of the TRN BT module. One with and one without AptX support.

Do look carefully at the listing specifications first before committing to buying. One other member here has bought the non-Aptx version without realising it.

Yes, good point. I assume everyone would want the aptX version. But still good to mention nontheless.

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #30,889 of 63,916
Hey anybody from KZ I can get in touch with? One of my earpieces are defective, as the bass on the left side is no where near the right side...almost like the dynamic driver ain't pumping... appreciate the help if you could direct me in the right direction! thank you!

For warranty claims you must go through your dealer, not KZ directly.

So, for example, if you bought them from Gearbest, work with Gearbest customer support to get the problem resolved.

Good luck!

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #30,891 of 63,916
Is there physical difference or marking on the module specify is AptX? or price difference that can give me a tell tell sign which is better?
May be you already know. Your smartphone also has to support aptX and in some smartphones, support is disabled even though the specs say that its is supported. Bluetooth reception is more important than the codec since the default codec SBC isn't bad. It can't encode some types of music which is a minor issue.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #30,892 of 63,916
Finally my KZ10 is shipped with air. They gave me another tracking with the original stuck for 2 weeks.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #30,893 of 63,916
May be you already know. Your smartphone also has to support aptX and in some smartphones, support is disabled even though the specs say that its is supported. Bluetooth reception is more important than the codec since the default codec SBC isn't bad. It can't encode some types of music which is a minor issue.
Well in that case is the TRN better in reception and connectivity compare to the KZ one? I carry my phone in a pocket so it will be close by.
Source will be my Nexus 6 with Spotify premium.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #30,894 of 63,916
Well in that case is the TRN better in reception and connectivity compare to the KZ one? I carry my phone in a pocket so it will be close by.
Source will be my Nexus 6 with Spotify premium.

Yes, much better. I discovered a design flaw in the KZ module antenna, which causes range and interference issues. I came up with a fix for the antenna flaw, but it requires disassembly and soldering skills.

The TRN module has no such issues.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #30,895 of 63,916
I don't know how to tell. I have four ZS5's, and they all sound the same.

To tell which version you have, you shine a light a foor ot so above the nozzle, and look for small 'circles' as you move the light around. The light moving around casts shadows on the BA drivers in the nozzle, and you will be able to see them easily.

If you have only 1, you have the ZS5 v1. If you have 2, then you have the c.

In this photo, you can see (2) circles, which means it's a ZS5 v2:

BA-nozzle.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #30,896 of 63,916
I wonder how Rose North Forest compares against KZ "flagship" ZS10 :D
Otto, when I receive it, I will definitely give You feedback about it compared to IT01 and ZS5v1, so You can maybe try them Yourself if they are new "killers" as some claim in sub-100$ thread.
If they are, then KZ train will "run off the track" and spending money on those flashy multi-hybrid cheapo KZs gets pointless imho. Well, it actually already is "pointless" in many ways as there are much better value and SQ offerings out there...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #30,897 of 63,916
I don't know the ZS3 very well as mine sound awful - from memory the ZS3 sounded dark with a small soundstage and recessed, however harsh mids. I can't see a relationship between the ZS3 and ZS10. The ZS10's allegedly elevated lower frequencies are contradicting the phonograph's review. And another head fier writes that the ZS10 sound like the ZSR but with less bass. To me, the ZS10's mid bass is overemphasized.

I gathered from your experience that the mid-bass is too forward and bleeds slightly into the vocals. I took some quotations for clarification but there was no mention of sub-bass which leads me to believe that the 10mm DD is focused mainly on mid-bass.

Thus far, your experience (without the dragonfly) has been over-emphasized mid-bass that forces the midrange into submission.

"To me, the ZS10's mid bass is overemphasized........"

"......bass and drums were overdone....."

"the mid bass was pushing a distant Diana Krall over the cliff and down into the ocean - including piano"

"ZS10 bass comes too close to the vocals for my taste, which congests the image"

"With the ZS10 you get a mid bass again pushing again the vocals. Diana's voice is a bit cleaner but also more distant"

"ZS10's overdoes the bass line again"

"Midbass too much for me"

"the strong mid bass is bordering on awful, it decreases and congests the soundstage"

Thus far, your experience (without the dragonfly) has been that they can be shallow and congested while the imaging is annoying

"the image became annoying"

"The ZS10 sound shallow and congested (at bassy pieces) to me."

In general you found the vocals to be recessed but with good resolution

"Voice is still a bit recessed"

"Diana's voice is a bit cleaner but also more distant"

Thank you for your input.

In retrospect I should have chosen another song in place of "King Of Sorrow" because the lack of resolution in Sade's voice is present in the actual recording which is unfortunate.

Thus far it appears that without your dragonfly the ZS10 has left a bittersweet taste in your mouth. Perhaps a good set of wide-bore silicones will clean up some of the mid-bass by offering a more diffuse presentation.

Please keep us posted if you spend any time having the ZS10 coupled to your dragonfly.

I'd be lying if I said that I was surprised to learn that your ZS10 sounded a bit wonky without the Dragonfly (possible impedance curves); I would expect that using your dragonfly would clean up the sound signature quite nicely.

Looks like B9's ZS10 arrived also so a more clear picture should begin to take form.

p.s. -
My original (matte-finish) ZS3 has slightly rolled treble and a slightly forward midrange (that is not strident in any way). The soundstage is slightly above average but it holds no candle to the ZSR, ZS6 or ZS5(i). The description of your ZS3 sounds quite different from my own.

Again, thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back