Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #28,036 of 63,836
Watch the orientation of the jack in the earpiece too as KZ has been known to just slap them in without paying any attention to which way they are turned. I had one set of Zs6 where the two earpieces were in opposite orientations. . Luckily those are easy to take the face off of and reverse one.
So as long as plug fits correctly its alright right? Because i am little concern over the polarity of the drivers.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #28,037 of 63,836
I haven't seen one where the wires were reversed on the under-side of the plug so I think that is fairly consistent. Not sure I have seen enough pairs to say conclusively it couldn't happen, but in my experience reversing the jack is a much more common issue than the wires being soldering on in reverse.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #28,038 of 63,836
Watch the orientation of the jack in the earpiece too as KZ has been known to just slap them in without paying any attention to which way they are turned. I had one set of Zs6 where the two earpieces were in opposite orientations. . Luckily those are easy to take the face off of and reverse one.
I had the same problem. The original KZ ZSR cable has an angled connectors and the correct orientation of the headphone jacks is as follows:
IMG_20180210_151942.png

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #28,039 of 63,836
I had the same problem. The original KZ ZSR cable has an angled connectors and the correct orientation of the headphone jacks is as follows:

Most are aware of that, what I was referencing was I had a set where the jack (shown in red) had the curved end to the front on one earpiece and to the rear on the other.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #28,040 of 63,836

I think KZ could learn something from newcomer TRN when it comes to the female connectors.

HTB1debsb7fb_uJkHFrdq6x2IVXaC.jpg_q85.jpg

Much cleaner and probably more sturdy.....
TRN V10 connectors.png

...than this
10067790.png

Hope you don't mind my using your photo for illustrative purposes kuko.

Anyway, sure once you connect the cables the connection is solid, but does it have to look so...."Toys "R" Us"?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #28,041 of 63,836
Most are aware of that, what I was referencing was I had a set where the jack (shown in red) had the curved end to the front on one earpiece and to the rear on the other.
Yes, I found bad oriented connector right after opening the package. I open left earpiece and turn jack to correct orientation. This photo is taken after the fix. On the previous page I posted a photo of the open ZSR with bad oriented connector.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #28,042 of 63,836
As Wiljen says watch orientation, for me I pretty mich need a magnifying glass to tell but the plug reciever and plug have one end flat and the other rounded. Just line those up correctly and you should be good to go.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #28,043 of 63,836
I made a photo of an open KZ ZSR. I had to open it, because the 2pin connector has been 180° rotated :confused:
I had only a phone, sorry for lower quality.

another one..
kz-zs5-r-01b.jpg kz-zs5-r-02b.jpg

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #28,044 of 63,836
BTW, I read your DM5 review and found the same anomaly that you did.
Outside of vocals, the center was just dead space which I've never experienced with an IEM before. When you couple that dead space with the DM5's strident tendencies in the higher frequency range. .....

.....well, let's just say I'm not a fan, which is unfortunate because it had other attributes.
.....and like Brando says, it "could've been a contender".

With all that said, I'd take my ES3 over the DM5 eight out of ten times, even though it's slightly less refined. The DM5's separate drivers really give it the upper hand when it comes to definition, but it's shortcomings are simply too obvious to overlook. The only time things get uneasy with the ES3 is if a track is mastered with mid-bass that's laid on a bit too thick.

I feels the same way about my ZSR. Would take it over my DM5 and RT-1. Sorry to hear I wasn't the only one with weird DM5 performance.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #28,045 of 63,836
Hi everyone, new user here.

I just bought a pair of zs3 and zst with their respective silver cables for my and my gf after reading a bit about them.

Being a total newbie, are there some mods for this IEMs to improve their sound?

Also, i listen a lot of black/death metal so im not sure if i did a good purchase for this cause ( total noob in this field )

Thanks in advance to any possible reply :bow::bow:

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #28,046 of 63,836
Hi everyone, new user here.

I just bought a pair of zs3 and zst with their respective silver cables for my and my gf after reading a bit about them.

Being a total newbie, are there some mods for this IEMs to improve their sound?

Also, i listen a lot of black/death metal so im not sure if i did a good purchase for this cause ( total noob in this field )

Thanks in advance to any possible reply :bow::bow:

You can tip roll (try different tips), as finding better or different tips will help with sound signature, comfort, seal, etc.

In addition, here's a list of the most common/most recommended mods to each.

Recommended mods to ZS3:

Recommended mods to ZST:

You should also make sure the vent ports aren't clogged on any of the IEMs (sometimes they are). You can do this with a sewing needle.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #28,047 of 63,836
I feels the same way about my ZSR. Would take it over my DM5 and RT-1. Sorry to hear I wasn't the only one with weird DM5 performance.

Never tried the DM5, but loving my RT-1. I am, however, someone aiming for a fun signature instead of balanced/neutral which is the typical goal of many Head-fiers. My only issue is some discomfort, but I've had much worse.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #28,048 of 63,836
another one..

Sorry @hakuzen , I always thought if the were just lined up the polarity would be correct! I guess if the plug was angled it might have the cable going the wrong way out of the shell. I stand corrected:beerchug:

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #28,049 of 63,836
Never tried the DM5, but loving my RT-1. I am, however, someone aiming for a fun signature instead of balanced/neutral which is the typical goal of many Head-fiers. My only issue is some discomfort, but I've had much worse.

ZSR definitely ain't balanced/neutral, haha. Better than the ZS6 in that respect though. It comes across more coherent than the RT-1 to me which lacks upper mid quantity and suffers due to excess mid-bass. I can live with all that, but the driver flex simply kills it for me. ZSR suffers from none of those issues thankfully. I love the RT-1's fit/shell, just not with the stock cable.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #28,050 of 63,836
ZSR definitely ain't balanced/neutral, haha. Better than the ZS6 in that respect though. It comes across more coherent than the RT-1 to me which lacks upper mid quantity and suffers due to excess mid-bass. I can live with all that, but the driver flex simply kills it for me. ZSR suffers from none of those issues thankfully. I love the RT-1's fit/shell, just not with the stock cable.

Hmmm.....sounds like the RT-1 and TRN V10 have a lot in common. Not so much in the mid-bass, though it is lifted slightly, but more so in the upper midrange. I can handle it, but I prefer the midrange/vocals to have more presence. The TRN reminds me of the ZS5(i) to a certain degree due to the somewhat distant vocals in a 2+2 (quad) IEM.

I think Coil might enjoy the V10 since he prefers slightly distant vocals. I, on the other hand, am seriously considering ordering the red ZSR when it's released and if I find the color a bit garish then I may just open them up and transplant the drivers into the TRN because the V10 shells are very comfortable. They were clearly trying to imitate the iBasso IT03.

71Gch5H0VLL._SL1500_.jpg
51FuXICcUkL._SL1500_.jpg

20180112_133743.jpg
ZSR RED.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back