K701 thread
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #1,726 of 2,619
Just came from a massive head jam session with the K701s.  For whatever reason, the K701 started to lose favor with me and I seemed to have condemned it to a low volume can...

This cannot be further from the truth.  The K701 can sink a lot of current....probably more than the LCD2s to attain reference level.  But provided there is sufficient power, the K701 can blast the SPLs....and the chassis does not vibrate whatsoever.  To put this in perspective, the HF2s would start vibrating massively, the D7000s are vibrating as is the HD650.  Only the LCD2s and K701 remain rock steady.  If the headphone physically vibrates, it means the baffles are not anchored correctly and the drivers are not outputting a true signal (hello K1000).

Also, only the K701 and LCD2 to me exhibit no grain...all the other cans are grained to my ears.  The K701 sound nice at high volumes and I can adapt well, something I couldn't with other so called "bright" cans.

No doubt this is due to the K701s treble presentation.  It seems to render the tonality of cymbals more perfectly than my other cans.  The cymbals are well damped and not excessively splashy.  Cymbals sound just a bit too splashy with the LCD2s for me, and just a bit rolled off and grained with the HD650.

Using the Phoenix amplifier balanced into the K701.  This is the first high volume test I conducted with the pairing, the K701s are brilliant at high volumes.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #1,727 of 2,619
I have achieved the best sound with the K701 so far using the following settings:

note that I'm using the headphone jack of nearfield monitors and they probably have monstrous output impedance which would make most headphone's bass muddy ( I guess?) but its actually a very beneficial effect for the K701!

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,728 of 2,619
Is there a Mac equivalent to Electri-Q?

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,729 of 2,619

Quote:
I have achieved the best sound with the K701 so far using the following settings:

note that I'm using the headphone jack of nearfield monitors and they probably have monstrous output impedance which would make most headphone's bass muddy ( I guess?) but its actually a very beneficial effect for the K701!

I just tried to EQ and have found that a dip similar to the first on yours is the most beneficial.  down about 4-5 decibels about 3-4 khz worked OK.  Then that leaves sibilance which then becomes a problem and more fine tuning is needed above this eq'd dip.

Then again play something like Norah Jones and EQ doesn't seem all that necessary.

Actually, there is still very noticeable grain when switching directly from the LCD2s.  But without AB comparisons, it doesn't seem to bother me that much as others.  I'm thinking this uppermids peaks is what masks the sibilance and grain at high treble, making the treble sound much nicer than if it didn't have that upper mid peak.  Then again on some recordings there really isn't that much peak at all.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,730 of 2,619
I have Electri-Q but i find it difficult to adjust. I use the implemented equalizer of foobar and it works just fine. For Audio-GD FUN + k701 I keep the 55hz slide at +3db and the 77hz slide at +2db. This setting compensates well the bass drop of k701.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,731 of 2,619

Quote:
I have Electri-Q but i find it difficult to adjust. I use the implemented equalizer of foobar and it works just fine. For Audio-GD FUN + k701 I keep the 55hz slide at +3db and the 77hz slide at +2db. This setting compensates well the bass drop of k701.

That EQ should work well, but the problem I find with the K701 is that it doesn't respond well with more EQ .  Trying to skew the center of tonal balance lower by boosting or cutting bass or treble respectively shrinks the soundstage a lot.  This didn't happen when EQing the HD800.  Then the K701s start to sound really SLOW when trying to do this.

As is without EQ it sounds smooth, and spritely.  Which is good.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,733 of 2,619

Quote:
Just came from a massive head jam session with the K701s.  For whatever reason, the K701 started to lose favor with me and I seemed to have condemned it to a low volume can...

This cannot be further from the truth.  The K701 can sink a lot of current....probably more than the LCD2s to attain reference level.  But provided there is sufficient power, the K701 can blast the SPLs....and the chassis does not vibrate whatsoever.  To put this in perspective, the HF2s would start vibrating massively, the D7000s are vibrating as is the HD650.  Only the LCD2s and K701 remain rock steady.  If the headphone physically vibrates, it means the baffles are not anchored correctly and the drivers are not outputting a true signal (hello K1000).

Also, only the K701 and LCD2 to me exhibit no grain...all the other cans are grained to my ears.  The K701 sound nice at high volumes and I can adapt well, something I couldn't with other so called "bright" cans.

No doubt this is due to the K701s treble presentation.  It seems to render the tonality of cymbals more perfectly than my other cans.  The cymbals are well damped and not excessively splashy.  Cymbals sound just a bit too splashy with the LCD2s for me, and just a bit rolled off and grained with the HD650.

Using the Phoenix amplifier balanced into the K701.  This is the first high volume test I conducted with the pairing, the K701s are brilliant at high volumes.

You're right,  at high volume the 701/2's can take most of the hps out there in most of the areas, with the right current they even become more balanced a super dynamic compare to the other hps that start to show unbalanced sound presentation and signs of stress all over the sound spectrum. I also find out the more current the more transparent sound you'll get. 

I think the K-1000 drivers are glued very gently, so if the glue get dry the drivers start to physically vibrates.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,734 of 2,619
That EQ should work well, but the problem I find with the K701 is that it doesn't respond well with more EQ .  Trying to skew the center of tonal balance lower by boosting or cutting bass or treble respectively shrinks the soundstage a lot....Then the K701s start to sound really SLOW...

?! What equalizer do you use? The implemented in foobar doesnt't affect anything but the tonal balance.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,735 of 2,619
You know it's easy for me to be cranking up the electric volts and volume for the my 702s to the point that when I take them off, I'm actually shocked by how much sound is leaking out. Other people  in my house have been known to come dancing into my room. I'm curious if folks get a dynamic presence at lower volumes, though I haven't combed through this thread to be honest.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,736 of 2,619

Quote:
I'm curious if folks get a dynamic presence at lower volumes.

Not nearly enough IMO.  I mean, it's there and it sounds good, but they really take off when I crank them up.  Not just loud, but energetic and brisk and nicely imaged (and loud).

Presuming we're talking about the same thing.  My audiophile lexicon is still developing.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,739 of 2,619

Quote:
I have a full correction model for the k702.  You guys should see a release in the next couple days.  It requires Voxengo's GlissEQ to apply the effect.

Cant wait - I have been trying to perfect an electri-q curve for a while and never quite got it. Your GlissEQ examples posted before were pretty mindblowing!

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #1,740 of 2,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to render the tonality of cymbals more perfectly than my other cans.  The cymbals are well damped and not excessively splashy.  Cymbals sound just a bit too splashy with the LCD2s for me, and just a bit rolled off and grained with the HD650.

Yes I do love also the cymbals of the K701.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back