K701 thread
Aug 28, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,756 of 2,619
][/CODE]
Why do people like the k701 so much? It seems super popular and I wonder why? They are solid white in color. Is this an important factor? Not trying to start a flame war, I'm just wondering. 

I like the K's because they are a very neutral, very accurate headphone at a great price.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,757 of 2,619
That, and the toilet-bowl-white scheme grows on you anyway.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,758 of 2,619
I wanted the K701 so badly because of the look, and the 4-conductor stock cable.  Reterminating to balanced end would be like... you blink and an XLR is on there.

I went with the Q701 because I had read enough anecdote regarding improved sound signature that I thought it would be worth getting.  Also, I figured any cabling difference would be insignificant if I were to decide I really wanted to change these things.

Fast forward to present, and while I do not require balanced operation at this time, I am shopping for the necessary parts and starting to hate that I can't just chop off the 3.5mm plug and put on a 4-pin XLR and call it done.  I mean, we should all be so lucky, right?

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #1,759 of 2,619
Are people still saying that Q701 sounds better?
AKG said that there's no difference other than appearance on Twitter or Facebook. You can email them yourself and get it straight from the horse's mouth. If they are lying, that would make no sense, otherwise they would market Q701 as having better sound versus K70x. It's all placebo, I say.

Is the cable on the Q701 3-conductor that you can't reterminate it so easily?

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,760 of 2,619

Quote:
AKG said that there's no difference other than appearance on Twitter or Facebook. You can email them yourself and get it straight from the horse's mouth. If they are lying, that would make no sense, otherwise they would market Q701 as having better sound versus K70x. It's all placebo, I say.

Well, I don't know the Q701, but according to the headroom site the graphs show few more db in the lowmid bass area. So, if I'll need to pick one of the 7xx series I'll definitely go for the black Q701, as I did with my K702 over the K701.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,761 of 2,619
The raw measurements of a driver are required to fall within certain tolerances when they are checked at the factory, so there's room for variance. You actually don't see identical drivers.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,762 of 2,619
Quote:

I don't trust what what AKG is saying on the matter, considering some head-fiers have reported AKG claiming there is a difference or otherwise being very vague about it.  When I have anecdote from head-fiers, especially K701/2 owners, whose opinions I have vetted to some degree by reading their posts, I'll take that for what it is.  Placebo versus subjectivity.

Perhaps it makes no sense from certain perspectives for AKG to lie about the comparative sound of their 700 series products.  I understand what you're getting at.  But from other perspectives it could make some sense.  For example, by being ambiguous about the Q being better or worse, it sells as a result of its own marketing, and doubters/haters/purists are free to choose the previous models.  Why unseat the successful and revered K70x at the hands of the obviously polarizing and aesthetically more daring Q701?  Why not try to keep them all in the market?  It's a hypothetical explanation, and my point is that AKG may very well have their reasons and we can only speculate.  What they tell you on the internet is not necessarily what they're thinking.

Quote:

I haven't chopped my Q701 cables (of which there are two, so maybe...) but they terminate to 3-pin mini XLR on one end, TRS on the other.  Plus it's a skinny cable, so I have no reason to believe there are 4 conductors in there.  Also, I believe it's only the K701 that is spec'd by AKG as having a bi-wired cable.

There exists a thread or two about people who have been able to get a 4-pin mini-XLR male into the K702, thereby changing the entire wiring scheme outward of the left side solder pads.  You'd be able to go balanced after this mod.  Or you skip the XLR male and wire directly onto the driver(s).

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #1,763 of 2,619
While the Q701 has exactly the same drivers as the K701/702, the Q model has a solid "button" over the center of the outer screen which makes from my measurements the Q701 4-5% more closed than the K701/702.

If that actually makes a difference in the low end, I hope no idea. But that's the ONLY structural difference between the cans.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,764 of 2,619

Quote:
While the Q701 has exactly the same drivers as the K701/702, the Q model has a solid "button" over the center of the outer screen which makes from my measurements the Q701 4-5% more closed than the K701/702.

If that actually makes a difference in the low end, I hope no idea. But that's the ONLY structural difference between the cans.

What I can tell you is the Grado SR-325is with G-Cushions have a wider soundstage than the Q701.  Don't know the K series.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #1,766 of 2,619
Exactly, I don't know the K series.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,767 of 2,619

Quote:
Exactly, I don't know the K series.

They're the same as the Q, and I must say I'm also having a hard time believing you...

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,768 of 2,619
Buh-LEEVE brother, Buh-LEEVE!! 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,769 of 2,619
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,770 of 2,619
Hello, all.  My first post on Head-Fi.  I love this place.

I currently own the AKG K701 with HeadRoom's Balanced Cardas Fat Pipe Upgrade.  I've been powering the K701s with HeadRoom's Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp (BUDA) with Desktop Power Supply (DPS).  This is a very nice combination.  In fact, it's stupid-nice.  I have not heard much of the quality gear discussed on this site, but I do know that the K701 / BUDA / DPS combination provides the best sound I've ever heard.  

To provide some background on me, I spend most of my spare time listening to music and playing drums in multiple bands around Portland, Oregon.  I love high quality reproduction of low frequency instruments, an appreciation developed from terrible stage mixes over the years.  The K701s, while not the authority in low frequency impact, communicate the best low frequency detail I've experienced.  I really dig these headphones.

Now, for a twist.  I purchased the headphone rig listed above shortly after my first child was born, as I expected listening sessions on my main two-channel system to be limited.  Despite how awesome the sound is, I barely find the time to sit down and enjoy.  I have a feeling this is not a problem many Head-Fi'ers encounter.  Anyway, I love the K701s, and I think AKG has created something truly unique and wonderful.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back