K701 thread
Aug 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #1,696 of 2,619
Mr Noob here,  
I've been lurking for a while and thought I would throw in my 2 cents..............I have a pair of Q701s and am quite happy with them.
Not too sure what some people mean when they say these 'phone are bass shy, maybe the Q701s are different than the K701 and 702 but I find the bass is deep, full, tight and punchy.............YMMV

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,697 of 2,619

Quote:
What cable did you get? Hwere did you bought it?

believe i bought the silver cable at ebay for $30 shipped. i thought What how can i lose for that kinda money even if its 'not' pure silver. however the upgrade in sound over stock cable, while not nite & day, is discernible within 1/2hr of listening. as mentioned, bass is tigher, more textured & with a meatier mid bass. mids smoothen out appreciably & treble grains is reduced to almost nil - well maybe slightly bothersome sometimes but mainly depending on quality of track.

bonus is the cable is super thin (almost IEM range) with zero microphonics & way easier to handle vs stock. infact im so impressed with this cable that i wanna contact the ebay seller to see if u sells the "jensen 99.997%silver" cable by itself so i can diy some for my iems.

regardless, for $30ish i cant see anyone losing on this. btw i also find the K702 slightly easier to drive with this cable, reaching doable db levels on a max sony E344 DAP unamped ofcos.

btw while i can honestly identify ppl bitchin the K702 has no bass, THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE on my rig. maybe mid bass isnt as phat as the HD650, its certainly no slouch either & definitely trumps the senn in getting lower. as is with my rig, my K702 has no issues with lack of bass nor treble hotness. YMMV ofcos

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #1,698 of 2,619
I've always preferred the K702's bass over almost every other phone I've heard. I just love that tight, impactful bass that goes well with it's sound signature. It's mostly subjective I'm sure, but system synergy plays a huge role with these headphones more than maybe any other I've heard.

-Daniel

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,699 of 2,619
Well.. i'm driving my K702 with Lyr, and ppl that claimed it had no bass before (using E9) are just loving it

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,701 of 2,619
Quote:
Mr Noob here,  
I've been lurking for a while and thought I would throw in my 2 cents..............I have a pair of Q701s and am quite happy with them.
Not too sure what some people mean when they say these 'phone are bass shy, maybe the Q701s are different than the K701 and 702 but I find the bass is deep, full, tight and punchy.............YMMV

I think that people mean that they lack a certain impact for their bass. Some rock, jazz, vocals are great from the 701 (I also have the Q, the bass isn't different). For hip-hop, you are lacking a certain volume to the bass. But for something like a double bass in a jazz ensemble? The headphones are perfect, the bass is deep and tight, and doesn't overpower the other instruments.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,702 of 2,619

Quote:
I think that people mean that they lack a certain impact for their bass. Some rock, jazz, vocals are great from the 701 (I also have the Q, the bass isn't different). For hip-hop, you are lacking a certain volume to the bass. But for something like a double bass in a jazz ensemble? The headphones are perfect, the bass is deep and tight, and doesn't overpower the other instruments.

totally agree on your bass comments...............I heard a pair of K701's a few years back and loved them, I just bought the Q701 because they came with two detachable cords of two different lengths
I gotta try these things on tubes someday............

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #1,703 of 2,619

Quote:
Sounds great! Im getting really curious now
biggrin.gif

Well, here's the current iteration!  Music produced by Jonathan Coulton and distributed under the Creative Commons license.

Here is the original:
http://soundcloud.com/kylebloss/bigbadworldonesource

And compensated for the k701's psychoacoustic characteristics:
http://soundcloud.com/kylebloss/bigbadworldonepsych

It may take a few moments for your ears to get used to the new sound.  You'll need a GOOD amp for it to produce the sound of the corrected file correctly.  Just fair warning.
Notice how full the mids are and how the treble isn't completely masked by the mid-highs.  The bass is extremely full and well-controlled (more than a bit too full for my tastes, but that's just how this particular song is mastered.  I couldn't find a better song for it!  It's mastered to have booming bass, and the point of this project is to make a brutally honest set of completely neutral reference cans.  In this case, it happens to be brutally honest about how the song has too much bass 
k701smile.gif
)

However, it's said that balanced k701s have a LOT more bass, so another fair warning: I haven't listened on a balanced set; here's more than a good chance that this will sound even more booming.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #1,704 of 2,619

Sounds great :D And you're right, the song is kinda boomy but still ok :D This sounds kinda like my own EQ for the K701 but I guess u've put way more effort and refinement into this.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #1,705 of 2,619
Quote:
The headphones are perfect, the bass is deep and tight, and doesn't overpower the other instruments.

Yes the bass is so nice....the highs are really glorious.....why K701? You are such a nice headphone to ears as you grow old and older.....
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #1,706 of 2,619
To this day...the K702 still hass the type of bass, not the BEST bass mind you, that I like for my music. And this is against Pro 900s, D2000s, DT 990s, AD2Ks. All of those headphones' bass is technically superior, and better even for games and movies and certain music---but **** it if the Akg's bass isn't exactly what I prefer in a headphone-properly amped and burned in, of course. If only the AD2K had the bass impact of the K702-I think it would be (subjectively) flawless to my ears...
-Daniel

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #1,709 of 2,619
I use High Gain as well for my AKG 702s which are in fact 701's with that detectable cable.I still trying to get ahold of a hex key screw driver so I can change the OPA2134s to a some LT1364 or OPA2107APs.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #1,710 of 2,619
I use low gain on my E9. I'll admit, I've not sat down to analytically listen for the differences, but I figured there's less channel imbalance with volume control at 10 o'clock rather than 9 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back