JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,126 of 1,764

So you stopped liking it with time? 

If that's the case I think otherwise though I do agree to some extent.

Specifically for Daanish, if you like them that much I'm sure they'll grow on you more with time as they age really well, kind of like wine ; ). I don't recommend high volume/pink noise burn-in though, just enjoy them and be careful to not expose them to high-volume levels. 

Hmm Inks, are they as power-hungry as the MDs do? I am still wondering if i should get these, cause i am a pretty much volume-head = For info, I always listen to MDs out of my Cowon J3 at a volume of (34 out of the Maximum 40), and (30~32 out of 40) for my e-Q7 =S I was imagining i could be treating myself to a ear-bleed and a fatigue session if i do the same for FX700, Going back to low-listening is quite hard for me already. What's your suggestions my friend?? >.<

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #1,127 of 1,764

I have no idea why you couldn't get bass using the M6 housing for the driver, but my suspicion will be the housing's limited space in the back. Even though the M6 uses the same size drivers, it could simply be that Hifiman's require more space for the driver to breathe. The RE262 driver should fit the Minitio Housing as they both use 9mm drivers and hopefully that will suit it well as it does have pretty good space in the back (since there's a lack of venting) to let the driver breath and the housing material will sure help with those high frequencies. 
Originally it was for a custom project.  Was shooting for silicone preferably.  Currently they're swapped into Meelec M6 shells.  There were and are issues as it appears to need quite a bit of venting and no reshellers want to really deal w/ a DD.  If I can't make it happen then they are going in my Munitio shells since those drivers suck.  Assuming they fit.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #1,128 of 1,764

Quote:

Hmm Inks, are they as power-hungry as the MDs do? I am still wondering if i should get these, cause i am a pretty much volume-head = For info, I always listen to MDs out of my Cowon J3 at a volume of (34 out of the Maximum 40), and (30~32 out of 40) for my e-Q7 =SI was imagining i could be treating myself to a ear-bleed and a fatigue session if i do the same for FX700, Going back to low-listening is quite hard for me already. What's your suggestions my friend?? >.

No they are way more efficient, I have been using them at 18-22 on my J3, whereas the MD's would go south of 30. Though I'm not sure how to interpret your e-q7 volume, as going over 28 would usually be too loud for me on the e-q5. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #1,129 of 1,764
Yes more efficient than MDs, easily. I believe the EQ7 is slightly less efficient than the EQ5s? not sure but I think it is. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #1,130 of 1,764
Listening to K.D. Langs version of Hallelujah with the FX's... chills and goosebumps!

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #1,131 of 1,764
@kendric, I will admit that you might still find trouble in regards to volume with these, they simply  sound overblown at high volume levels. At very low volume levels they are competent but give up some dynamics, there's a sweetspot that's in the low-mid volume levels that is great when you find it (this is in a relatively quiet environment). As it's somewhat assumed here, don't expect these to shine in loud environments. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,132 of 1,764

Quote:
@kendric, I will admit that you might still find trouble in regards to volume with these, they simply  sound overblown at high volume levels. At very low volume levels they are competent but give up some dynamics, there's a sweetspot that's in the low-mid volume levels that is great when you find it (this is in a relatively quiet environment). As it's somewhat assumed here, don't expect these to shine in loud environments. 

@ Inks - I see.. Maybe i should see which FX700 owner gonna take a plunge into the MG6PRO to compare the timbre of the two, Still saving up but cant decide to go for FX700 or just save-up one shot for the MG6PRO.. Time and money is short for me =((

@Daanish - For e-Q7, mostly i would be comfortable at 30/40 volume on my J3, 32 is only when i am out and about in loud environments, which i rarely turns up even in the situation, being that said also, 32/40 is the loudest i could handle on the e-Q7, 33~40 would be total overkill =S

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #1,133 of 1,764

Quote:
 As it's somewhat assumed here, don't expect these to shine in loud environments. 

That's the main reason I never replaced my MD's with them.  Though now I have the best isolating phones I've heard in my ES5 I can now start thinking naughty thoughts about the FX700.  I'm really curious how well I can carry a conversation w/ someone keeping them in ear and pausing my music.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,134 of 1,764

Quote:
That's the main reason I never replaced my MD's with them.  Though now I have the best isolating phones I've heard in my ES5 I can now start thinking naughty thoughts about the FX700.  I'm really curious how well I can carry a conversation w/ someone keeping them in ear and pausing my music.

I think you would be able to do this quite well. I personally overestimated how bad the isolation is, it's not the greatest but not nearly as bad I thought it would be. I think you can use them on the go with the volume turned up slightly. When you turn them off, outside noise is quite audible. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #1,135 of 1,764
Honestly when I have the music turned on, the isolation is not that bad.  I suppose it does depend on music, because say with softer classical pieces or when setting my DAP to a very low-no volume setting, then yes, I can hear the some dialogue from the TV or say people at the next table talking in the library and what not...I would agree they offer nearly no isolation at all, but when I put on slightly more dynamic music at slightly higher volumes, I can't really hear others around me all that much if at all, and I'm not talking blasting loud volume, just moderate (say between -26 to -34 on a rockboxed Clip).

Granted, I have never taken them on public transportation or in extremely loud areas, but for say sitting between two obnoxiously loud tables in the library, FX700 + music = zero isolation problems, at least for me.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,136 of 1,764
Quote:
Not really. Usually, with any IEM, I get down to analyzing their signature rather than listening. With FX700, I just didn't care about 'how' it sounded and continued to listen. Do I like it still? Let's put it this way. If you put a gun to my head and ask me to choose only one IEM for a long vacation in a deserted island, it would be FX700, though I'd sneak away a couple more in split seconds you take your eyes off me
wink.gif

Well, I am a critical listener and I analyze my 'phones from the time I first hear them. The FX700 have already undergone some seriously critical analysis and passed the test with flying colors. The have the best detail, most natural dynamics, timbre, soundstage/imaging, PRAT, mids and treble of any IEM I've tried so far. That may change in two weeks if I hear something better. Sure, there is some music that doesn't sound great on the FX700, but I blame the recording and/or source, not the FX700. Fit can also be an issue. There are just so many variables. But ultimately, I feel that FX700 just sounds right and all detail and dynamics seem to be preserved in their entirety - nothing appears missing to my ears. If something doesn't sound right, I highly doubt its the FX700s fault. It's probably just shows how sensitive and revealing the FX700 of fit, source and music.

Notice that I did not mention anything about the FX700 bass. That's because the jury is still out for me regarding the bass quality and quantity on the JVCs. I simply can't figure it out because the low end changes like crazy with different tips, insertion depth and insertion angles. However, with certain tip and fit combinations, I hear what sounds like a really tight, defined and deep low end with no artificial mid bass hump and of proper balance with the mids and highs. I will really be surprised if the low end on FX700 doesn't come close to its mids and treble in quality, which are just stellar to me. Usually I find that if a headphone has really impressive mids or bass or treble, then it does the whole spectrum very well, apart from possible limitations at the frequency extremes. I don't think it is possible for any reasonably well designed headphone to have, say, world class mids and highs and mid-fi bass response. That just doesn't seem right to me, but I could be wrong of course.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,138 of 1,764

Quote:
i wouldve kept mine if the cord were at least a meter long...

Didn't you get an extension  with yours? Mine came with an extension cable that added another 2 feet, making it roughly 3.5-4 feet

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,139 of 1,764
You can also just buy another extension cord that's your liking, Joker used the RE-Zero extension/adapter for his review. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,140 of 1,764

Users who are viewing this thread

Back