JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,682 of 1,764

Quote:
What frequency range would one need to reduce to remove some of the mid-bass? I LOVE these IEM's, but the mid-bass really drives me nuts on certain recordings.

Tips bro!
Sorry if I didn't have any to decrease the mid-bass.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,683 of 1,764
Anakchan, I was eye balling your for sale on the fx700 for the past few days!
I was going back and forth trying to figure out if I wanted a back up pair incase mine died. But it is nice to know they are going to another user to enjoy!

They really are pieces of art, so much so that I could not find them online new!

Good luck and hope you don't miss them too much!

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #1,684 of 1,764
Anakchan, I was eye balling your for sale on the fx700 for the past few days!
I was going back and forth trying to figure out if I wanted a back up pair incase mine died. But it is nice to know they are going to another user to enjoy!
They really are pieces of art, so much so that I could not find them online new!
Good luck and hope you don't miss them too much!

Really? You just have to look in the Japanese market and they're quite easy to find.
Goes around 280-300 new.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #1,686 of 1,764
Thought I would repost my impressions here for anyone who might find them interesting:

I just got my fx700 two days ago and coming from my now broken IE8 I had a very mixed first impression.

Firstly wow, these IEM's have some serious potential and the sound stage is stunning however..

1. Treble was harsher than I have ever heard from any source I have ever come across and immediately had to cut a lot from 3k-10k it was almost unbearable!!

2. The bass, is definitely there and its big and deep which is great but... it sounds as distorted and cheap as a nasty sub-woofer driven well past what it should be. It was downright nasty!
I couldn't believe all this talk of how much bass definition people here kept talking about because to me the FX700 sounded like it was farting where there was supposed to be a clean tight bass in the recording.
This was mostly noticeable only on electronic type bass/kick and not so much on normal drum kit recordings but electronic is what I normally listen to. It seamed to be that the deeper the frequencies the more apparent this problem appeared to be. It also was not from being over driven because no matter what volume level I was pushing to it the distortion was still there.

After two days and maybe 20hrs burn in, the highs are no where near as harsh and I can now comfortably listen without any eq.. YAY!
The bass is getting a bit tighter and defined but the distortion is still there. I am hoping it just needs a LOT of burn in.

The noise floor or self noise or compression noise... I'm not sure which or if all of them but it is very apparent with these IEM's. At the beginning and end of most tracks (where its quiet) I can really hear a hiss and the compression algorithm artifacts. This is not so bad when a decent volume of music is coming through and it may go away with burn in but it hasn't so far. It isn't good but even if it doesn't go away I will probably get used to it and get over it being there.

The good news though...

The isolation isn't nearly that bad at all, as a lot of people posted would be a deal breaker. Yes there is a little bleed through in both directions but it seams irrelevant in all but the quietest environments. covering the big air hole does nothing to the sound or isolation IMO. The bleed through seams to be coming mostly from the tiny holes around the port that goes into the ear. As I said though the isolation is adequate and I will be using these for my portable rig with no issues here.

The highs seam to be sorting themselves out and seam to be completely correcting their harshness. They will probably always be sparkly but that's how I like my music.

These little IEM's are quite a few leagues above the IE8 in every way except bass but if the distortion goes away with burn in then it will completely trump them.

On the side note of what tips to use. If anyone has heard of the universal earplugs from alpine, called music safe pro's I use them. Why? because they mould to the shape of your ear due to the warmth of your body and it does not feel like you have something shoved in your ear. At first they feel like a normal bi flange but after a few minutes they soften into the shape of your ear canal :D

They can also be cut to the length you desire, It does require a little work to get them on the ports due to a tight fit but they work fine and wont come off easily. The only down side is that they will wear out after more than a year of use (a bit like an old rubber band). Oh and the tips are the same as the alpine party plugs and therefore they can be used too.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #1,687 of 1,764
Did you try your FX700 on difference sources? I'm surprised at the bass distortion 'cos mine (when I had it) definitely didn't exhibit any of those symptoms. What was the gain setting on your DAP?

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #1,688 of 1,764

Quote:
Did you try your FX700 on difference sources? I'm surprised at the bass distortion 'cos mine (when I had it) definitely didn't exhibit any of those symptoms. What was the gain setting on your DAP?

I used it with my arrow 3g and gallaxy note as well as directly off my macbook. My monitors and other headphones do not have this distortion at all! 

Yeah I'm not happy with it but considering how much the highs have changed I'm hoping for the best. Oh and the gain setting made no difference. the effect is less apparent when there is a lot of higher frequency content in a track but for those parts where there's a break and you just get the bass... wow farting.. Its not that flabby and its still deep but there is a distortion around 80-200hz that is very apparent and sounds the same on a lot of different tracks (one note type distortion)

EDIT,

Think about turning up a very deep bassline/kick combo on some electronic tune on a set of $30 computer speakers... that's the distortion (minus the depth as the fx700 is still going low at the same time)

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,689 of 1,764
That is very strange. I guess you're somewhere where you can't try different FX700's? Your EQ was flat? Or are your tracks EQ-ed (or some sort of player default EQ)? The FX700 could be somewhat more sensitive than your other headphones (not knowing which ones). It's weird 'cos my FX700's were somewhat more treble veiled and dark even.

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #1,690 of 1,764
Strange. Never had issues with bass distortion on my FX700s. I also wouldn't call them treble veiled lol. Treble is very apparent and sparkly. Bass is very prominent and deep. I still find my IE80s to reach even deeper than the FX700s do though but the timbre and tone of the FX700 bass is amazing.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,692 of 1,764

Quote:

Think about turning up a very deep bassline/kick combo on some electronic tune on a set of $30 computer speakers... that's the distortion (minus the depth as the fx700 is still going low at the same time)

Sounds like you got a lemon. I would return them and get a replacement pair if I was you.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,693 of 1,764
I will try some other tips but from my sketchy memory I think it didn't make any difference. Also yes I don't really have access to another pair of FX700's.

I may be over exaggerating the bass distortion but its still there. After listening more it seams most apparent with longer, less transient electronic kick drums. 

Could someone do a test with theirs and maybe krank up the low end EQ on say a hiphop track (as that will have the biggest and less transient kick sounds of all) and test if there is any distortion? I don't EQ mine for more bass but boy does the distortion become that much more apparent if I do boost.

It would be interesting if this is apparent in other FX700's under more extreme circumstances!

I'm not convinced that the distortion is a malfunction just yet and it may still go away with burn in, or if I should send them back which may be difficult.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,694 of 1,764
I love music with serious bass -Kryptic minds and such- and I can assure you there is no distortion whatsoever with my pair. I found a perfect seal with very shallow insertion sound best for me. If your source (?) or tips are not the issue then I am sorry there is something wrong with you pair.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,695 of 1,764

Quote:
I love music with serious bass -Kryptic minds and such- and I can assure you there is no distortion whatsoever with my pair. I found a perfect seal with very shallow insertion sound best for me. If your source (?) or tips are not the issue then I am sorry there is something wrong with you pair.

Yep, Tips are not an issue :frowning2:  I can hear the effect at about 20-30% of my direct out of my macbook, quieter than that I cant hear much detail anyway but it does get worse as it gets louder. I really love these IEM's even with this issue but I cant live with it knowing its not something I should live with.

Just to confirm that these can go very loud without any bass distortion?

In testing managed to drive them hard enough to its physical limits (quite painful) and the mechanical limiting/distortion was not in the bass department and did not sound anything like the normal bass distortion I was hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back