JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #1,696 of 1,764

Quote:

Yep, Tips are not an issue :frowning2:  I can hear the effect at about 20-30% of my direct out of my macbook, quieter than that I cant hear much detail anyway but it does get worse as it gets louder. I really love these IEM's even with this issue but I cant live with it knowing its not something I should live with.

Just to confirm that these can go very loud without any bass distortion?

In testing managed to drive them hard enough to its physical limits (quite painful) and the mechanical limiting/distortion was not in the bass department and did not sound anything like the normal bass distortion I was hearing.

I recommend sending them back for replacement then. Also they should be able to go super loud without distorting. If anything they will distort your own hearing before they actually start distorting themselves.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #1,697 of 1,764
Shouldn't be a bass distortion at all, I've used mine for quite a long while and have pumped out a lot of bass, even boosting it eq/amps like the ZO and no problems...

Will recommend getting a replacement pair as well-sounds like you might have gotten a rare dud.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #1,698 of 1,764
Thanks guys, Its good to hear that these babies can do better. I'm organising a warranty/replacement.

Keep in mind those tips didn't seam to do anything to the sound, if anything they increase the soundstage so due to huge comfort levels I highly recommend them :)

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #1,699 of 1,764
Personally I wouldn't use tips that restrict or obstruct the diameter of the FX700 or prolong the nozzle as IMO  that deteriorate the overall sound. My favourite tip for comfort are the Sony hybrid but sadly even those affected the sound slightly. Deep insertion using double or triple flange sounded the worse. Luckily I had  clear silcone tips for an old V-Moda and I found those perfect.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #1,700 of 1,764

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't use tips that restrict or obstruct the diameter of the FX700 or prolong the nozzle as IMO  that deteriorate the overall sound. My favourite tip for comfort are the Sony hybrid but sadly even those affected the sound slightly. Deep insertion using double or triple flange sounded the worse. Luckily I had  clear silcone tips for an old V-Moda and I found those perfect.

Yeah I use V-Moda tips as well. They seem to work the best and the JVC tips I bought from amazon work best with the IE80s.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,701 of 1,764
Is anyone there who have both FX700 as well as Atrio MG7. Please compare both of them in bass, mids, treble, soundstage, imaging. Any help will be appreciated.

TIA :)

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,703 of 1,764
how do both of them compared to the EPH-100?

I want slightly more bass punch but with similar or more quality with tightness, same mids as EPH-100, better instrument separation than the EPH-100(I know EPH-100 has very good separation) better soundstage and same or tad more extended smooth treble.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,704 of 1,764
Quote:
how do both of them compared to the EPH-100?

I want slightly more bass punch but with similar or more quality with tightness, same mids as EPH-100, better instrument separation than the EPH-100(I know EPH-100 has very good separation) better soundstage and same or tad more extended smooth treble.

Compared to the EPH-100, the FX700 will have a better soundstage (it can actually throw cues in front of you, and wider than the EPH), it will have a more solid bass body with similar or greater quantity. Though, the treble of the FX700 is quite aggressive. It's not that bad though because it's balanced out by the bass. The mids aren't really recessed, but they're not the strong suite/focus of the FX700.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,705 of 1,764
the eph have better instrument separation than the fx700.

go for the eph if:
pros
-you want clarity without the bass ruining your music enjoyment
-smoother midrange than the fx
-better vocals than the fx, which is my only gripe with the fx. eph is more upfront.
-better build, more stronger than wood iem
-eph is more balanced sounding
-incredible instrument separation and clarity of a ba driver
-sweet sounding
cons
-sometimes weird treble
-a little thin sounding

go for the fx if..
-you wanted to hear the best timbre there is in the iem realm
-natural sound
-strong treble and bass but never harsh
-for serious listening to your classical collections
con...
-wire length
-wood iem, needs to be gentle on this
-mids, vocals is not as quite good as the eph

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,706 of 1,764
Quote:
the eph have better instrument separation than the fx700.
go for the eph if:
pros
-you want clarity without the bass ruining your music enjoyment
-smoother midrange than the fx
-better vocals than the fx, which is my only gripe with the fx. eph is more upfront.
-better build, more stronger than wood iem
-eph is more balanced sounding
-incredible instrument separation and clarity of a ba driver
-sweet sounding
cons
-sometimes weird treble
-a little thin sounding
go for the fx if..
-you wanted to hear the best timbre there is in the iem realm
-natural sound
-strong treble and bass but never harsh
-for serious listening to your classical collections
con...
-wire length
-wood iem, needs to be gentle on this
-mids, vocals is not as quite good as the eph

I too noticed that EPH-100 has an amazing instrument separation.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,708 of 1,764
Has anyone compared the FX700 with the Sennheiser HD600?  I ask because I have need for an iem that does not attenuate outside noise like a normal closed iem.  The FX700 is perfect for that but is quite expensive.  I might get off the fence if the FX700 were at least as good if not better than my HD600s.  I like my sennheisers a lot but they have never been truly satisfying for me.  The mid range is to my ear cluttered and confused.  I'd like to upgrade them within 6 months and would be willing to drop up to, but preferrably not, $1000.  I've only started to dig around in that price range so I haven't yet come up with a plan.  But, if the FX700 have a cleaner midrange and slightly better tonal color, I'd probably be quite happy.  I'd love to kill two birds with one $320 stone. 

Here is what I like in sound reproduciton in order:
-Tonal "color" - I want the rich fleshy tone of a cello or the cool etheral tone of a flute to really be unmistakeable.
-Dynamics:
-Voice seperation
-Soundstage
-detail

Along with all the other audiophool  mumbojumbo dejour of course ;-} 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,709 of 1,764
Quote:
A/B comparison done right:

Well... *sigh*

I was right about my feeling. On some tracks they sound both astonishing and extremely similar. Both me and my wife could not tell them apart. But on bass excessive tracks, like Machine Head's recent release Unto the Locust, the differences are definitely there.

James' pair feels lighter, has less fundamental tone. My pair has more weight and the bass tries (only tries!) to suck in the mids. Male voices get pulled down a bit while female voices are not affected. It's really no dramatic difference and I would have never known if I didn't compare. But in the end it makes the difference between very good timbre and great - maybe even the best among all IEMs?
Now that is what bothers me!

I currently also have a bunch of IEMs to compare: next to the EX600, I have lying here some SE535, W4, TF10, UE4 and a JH5 (the customs are in a universal shell for test purposes).
But still, the JVC hits my sweet spot. For simple, uncomplicated and immersive listening it's still my favorite. Of course I want it to sound its best. I will probably sell my pair and buy a new one when I have the chance again. 198 € was pretty cheap anyway.

Thank you James for pushing me to settle for nothing but perfection!
ksc75smile.gif

I will order either the W4 or UE4 tomorrow. It should ease my pain a little, lol.
BTW, the EX600 are really great too! I enjoyed the presentation a lot as a budget all-rounder but the over-ear design is not working for me so I will skip the EX1000 too.

In case anybody remembers, my pair was probably stored in too high humidity and I (tried to) fix it with drying tools. Anyway, I got me a fresh pair now and I can finally enjoy the highest quality possible.

I just want to give a heads up to anyone who thinks his pair isn't sounding right. The packaging is not sealed by default, storage can cause a problem so I suggest to pay a few bucks more and get them from a trustworthy seller. It really makes a difference.

Yes, they're V-shaped and I'm starting to enjoy linearity a little more every day, but the FX700 has a perfect V in my opinion. :D This is a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back