Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #9,961 of 11,345
Since I was replacing the jack, I used my solder sucker to remove all the old solder. I didn't have any trouble whatsoever with tinning the stock wire, and it seemed to be fine quality for what it was (much better than the wire in the stock cable), so I just used the stock wire. And Kester 60/40 or 63/37, though I do have some Wonder Solder and some Carda Quad. Don't seem to use it much though, but I would if I was soldering to the driver pads, since it does have a lower melting point.

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #9,962 of 11,345
The best way to remove old solder is with a fine braided solder wick, which you get from Radio Shack, etc.  you can also get the old solder off the wire, and it solders up just fine.

For best results use a 60/40 rosin core solder that is very thin, and work fast.  "Get in and get out quick."  Overheating is where pad or wire problems occur....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #9,963 of 11,345
Quote:
I used Canare mini-quad and it tinned much better than the original enamel-coated cable. But my experience was different than yours when it came to clearing away the original solder. When I cleared the pads of solder, the fresh solder beaded up like water on a duck's back. Took a bit of extra heat and some added rosin to get it to tin. I'm not sure if I was using eutectic solder or not, though.  

I've read a few times that there's a risk of melting/damaging the solder pads. You guys haven't had any trouble with this?

So far I've just left part of the original wire as a pigtail and soldered to those. Haven't had any issues there, though it's a bit messier than I like. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #9,964 of 11,345
Quote:
The best way to remove old solder is with a fine braided solder wick, which you get from Radio Shack, etc.  you can also get the old solder off the wire, and it solders up just fine.

For best results use a 60/40 rosin core solder that is very thin, and work fast.  "Get in and get out quick."  Overheating is where pad or wire problems occur....

I have both: a good solder pullit tool, as well as a couple of sizes of braid. I usually prefer the solder pullit (Edco or something like that?) over the braid, but YMMV. Seems like less heat is required.

BTW mrspeakers, I haven't read the whole thread, but am interested in your pads, vs. the SRH840 pads I am currently using. Are these pretty much directly replaceable, or are there specific mods to tune to these pads? Also, do they fit better than the Shure pads do? I notice that you offer a Mad Dog pad and an Alpha pad? Which would I want?

Thanks for this and also all your participation in your thread!

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #9,965 of 11,345
I have both: a good solder pullit tool, as well as a couple of sizes of braid. I usually prefer the solder pullit (Edco or something like that?) over the braid, but YMMV. Seems like less heat is required.

BTW mrspeakers, I haven't read the whole thread, but am interested in your pads, vs. the SRH840 pads I am currently using. Are these pretty much directly replaceable, or are there specific mods to tune to these pads? Also, do they fit better than the Shure pads do? I notice that you offer a Mad Dog pad and an Alpha pad? Which would I want?

Thanks for this and also all your participation in your thread!

Have you looked at the incremental mods thread, BMF has just commented on the alpha dogs

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #9,966 of 11,345
Quote:
You can order adapter or buy a v-moda cable http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/
I dont think Velour cushions are recommended. Yes the headband is not suitable for long listening,You can buy Sennheiser HD Headband Cushion. These headphones are easy to drive.

They are easy to drive, but they can really use the power which will bring out the best the headphones have to offer.  Now that I have my Project Sunrise II, I can't even listen to my Fostex using my iBasso D10. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #9,967 of 11,345
Quote:
Have you looked at the incremental mods thread, BMF has just commented on the alpha dogs

Hi, and yes, it was really nice of BMF to share his experience!  The Dog Pad is a very close replacement for the 840, at least on my mods, but the Alpha Pad has it's own voice and might take a bit more effort.  On my system it sounds distinctly better than the Dog Pad, but the effect will vary by how you have modded and tuned your phones, there's not a magic answer for which pad except the Alpha has a nicer design and I think came out better, and it's more comfy.

I think BMF used it as a direct replacement for his DBV3 mods, but I can't speak to that. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #9,969 of 11,345
I'm having a bit of trouble with muffled bass on my pair. I'm just not getting the same clean and punchy feel that the stock T50RPs give. My config is the same as DBV #3 except I'm using pink fiberglass. Anyone have any suggestions?

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #9,970 of 11,345
Just got a pair today. Will be modding away....

So far: 
-840 pads on order from amazon
-reinforced the baffle with a non hardening modeling clay
-stuffed cups with the Rite-Aid brand cotton roll 
-using masking tape on outside of the cup grill to dial in bass with a few small port holes - right now I have 4 small holes poked in the tape using a bic pen
-rolled up a tissue and stuffed in rear of each pad to angle them a little bit and give a better seal against my head.

using an E17 with them as a DAC and amp:
-medium gain, little over half volume, which makes them seem just about as easy/hard to drive as the Q701
-treble +2
-bass +2

I'd still like a bit more bass, and more bass extension, but from the graphs I've seen the 840 pads should give me a good amount of extra bass. I'm guessing that i'll be closing up some or all of the little bass ports I made in the outer grill after putting the 840 pads on. Mid-range and treble seem fine, since I'd like these to be a bit darker and bassier than my Q701. I may end up tuning them for a bit more treble though in the end. They may be just a little to dark. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #9,971 of 11,345
I quickly noticed with mine already that too much stuffing kills the bass. Initially I put way to much cotton in mine, to the point where it was tough to even screw the headphones back together. I took about half out and the bass came back. 

You could also try covering the outer grill and just poking a good size hole in it, or start with one small hole and keep poking more small holes to get the amount of bass you want. Also, according to the charts I've seen the best thing for more bass is the 840 pads. I have those on the way.
Quote:
I'm having a bit of trouble with muffled bass on my pair. I'm just not getting the same clean and punchy feel that the stock T50RPs give. My config is the same as DBV #3 except I'm using pink fiberglass. Anyone have any suggestions?

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #9,973 of 11,345
I'll just leave this here. Watch to see what headphones she uses and if she puts them on right... 
ph34r.gif

http://www.hulu.com/watch/447189

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #9,974 of 11,345
Should these have more bass than an AKG Q701 with these mods:

So far: 
-reinforced the baffle with a non hardening modeling clay
-stuffed the cups with the Rite-Aid brand cotton roll 
-some foam in the cups
-rolled up a tissue and stuffed in rear of each pad to angle them a little bit and give a better seal against my head.

using an E17 with them as a DAC and amp:
-medium gain, about half volume, which makes them seem just about as easy/hard to drive as the Q701
-treble 0
-bass +2

I have the Shure 840 pads on order, they should be here tomorrow. Should these already have more bass than the Q701 with the stock pads though? Right now these just sound like a Q701 with a more rolled off treble. They may sound just a tad bassier than the Q701, but not by much. How do I make these bass monsters?

I basically want them to have a lot of bass, with the same forward and clear mids that they already have, and an HD650 like treble. I want lots of bass impact and really deep extended bass. How do I make these into bass monsters? Are the 840 pads alone going to make a huge difference?

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #9,975 of 11,345
I'd like to first point out:  Welcome to page 666 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Second, I'm very much considering a pair of the latest rev. MadDogs with the new Alpha Pads, as a complimentary closed headphone to my HE-400.  I've had my eye on them for some time, but the inclusion of the new pads (and their benefits) have officially sold me into giving them a go in the very near future.  I ultimately plan on using these with a small speaker amp, so I will be creating an adapter to use taps (also for use with my HE-400).  I'm definitely excited to see what these can do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back