Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #9,976 of 11,345
I just got the Shure SRH840 pads on... DAMN! What a difference! Putting cotton in the cups and mass loading the baffle helped with the sound, but damn the pads make a huge difference. 

I have a question for the people that use the SRH840 pads. Did you cut out the backing fabric or did you leave them as is? The reason I ask is that now there is two layers between the driver and the ear. The stock fabric and now the fabric backing that is a part of the SRH840 pads. 

So, mods as of right now: 
-SRH840 pads
-covered the small port hole on the baffle(s)
-outer cup vents have been left alone, so the felt is still there and all 4 slots are fully open
-mass loaded the baffle with a non hardening modeling clay
-stuffed the cups with a little bit of the Rite-Aid brand cotton roll 
-put some foam in the deeper part of the cups
-rolled up a tissue and stuffed it in the rear of each SRH840 pad to angle them a little bit and give a better seal against my head.

using an E17 with them:
-medium gain, about half volume, which makes them seem just about as easy/hard to drive as the Q701
-treble +2
-bass 0

I really didn't see myself liking these more than the Q701, but damn are they fun. My Q701 isn't going anywhere though because it will still have it's time and place. These are ridiculous with the SRH840 pads though. The difference is so huge. I actually just taped up the outside vents and just poked 3 small pen tip sized holes in the tape. This seems to have tamed the mid-bass a bit, but preserved the awesome sub-bass. 

What genre of music are people listening to with these?

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #9,978 of 11,345
Quote:
I have a question for the people that use the SRH840 pads. Did you cut out the backing fabric or did you leave them as is? The reason I ask is that now there is two layers between the driver and the ear. The stock fabric and now the fabric backing that is a part of the SRH840 pads. 

Personally i removed it carefully cutting it out as large as possible, this way i can always put it back in there after if i didn't like it gone, funny enough i like it gone.
At least this way you remove another "what-if" variable in your mind and can easily restore it again.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #9,979 of 11,345
Quote:
Personally i removed it carefully cutting it out as large as possible, this way i can always put it back in there after if i didn't like it gone, funny enough i like it gone.
At least this way you remove another "what-if" variable in your mind and can easily restore it again.

What did removing it do to the sound? 

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #9,980 of 11,345
as I recall it made things a tiny bit less obscured sounding. Generally fabricy foam like that tends to drop down some highs and or detailing. These things are easily thrown into the warmer side  in my experience so any little thing helps.  A fair number of vintage orthos also have the drivers as close to the ears as they can and often very little if any material junk ( or acoustically transparent material ) between the ear and driver faces. Why add anything extra.

I could see though if they have been tuned high, so It would depend on that also per individual mod itself.

It's really nothing to cut it out carefully and try it out personally, when it is back in place stuffed back in you can't tell at all it looks stock. Best test is your own ears and it's really a fast swap you could( should be able to ) tell right away depending on your mod.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #9,981 of 11,345
This is what I had assumed. I'm going to leave it alone, at least for a little while. I'm actually going for a bassier, warm, forward mid kind of sound with these. I have a Q701 for when I want lots of treble detail with a massively wide soundstage. These T50's still have lots of detail in the bass and mids though, so I'm perfectly fine the way I have them tuned right now. The top end currently isn't really that rolled off anyway. It's about the same as I remember the HD650's top end. I'm going to use these the way I have them now for a bit before I make any other quick changes. Right now they sound like a better sounding HD650 with ridiculous bass extension. I am impressed. 
Quote:
as I recall it made things a tiny bit less obscured sounding. Generally fabricy foam like that tends to drop down some highs and or detailing. These things are easily thrown into the warmer side  in my experience so any little thing helps.  A fair number of vintage orthos also have the drivers as close to the ears as they can and often very little if any material junk ( or acoustically transparent material ) between the ear and driver faces. Why add anything extra.

I could see though if they have been tuned high, so It would depend on that also per individual mod itself.

It's really nothing to cut it out carefully and try it out personally, when it is back in place stuffed back in you can't tell at all it looks stock. Best test is your own ears and it's really a fast swap you could( should be able to ) tell right away depending on your mod.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #9,983 of 11,345
I got my hands on some used LCD2 rev 1 pads and they fit just fine. Ever so slightly loose, but not a problem. Probably my favorite pads overall. I ended up removing the old foam and restuffing with memory foam. Much better now.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #9,984 of 11,345
Quote:
I got my hands on some used LCD2 rev 1 pads and they fit just fine. Ever so slightly loose, but not a problem. Probably my favorite pads overall. I ended up removing the old foam and restuffing with memory foam. Much better now.

I never got to try out rev.1 LCDs, but I couldn't stand the "squishy-ness" of the LCD2 rev.2 pads that I tried.  I bet with the memory foam upgrade they would be supple and just wonderful.  On a side note, anyone try these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productads&gclid=CPHc6of43rUCFQ2nnQod1kkA5A

They are pads the that come with the NVX version of an Fischer FA-003 Clone/ Brainwavz hm5.  Angled pleather pads, these could be interesting for those unoffended by pleather.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #9,985 of 11,345
Quote:

I never got to try out rev.1 LCDs, but I couldn't stand the "squishy-ness" of the LCD2 rev.2 pads that I tried.  I bet with the memory foam upgrade they would be supple and just wonderful.  On a side note, anyone try these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productads&gclid=CPHc6of43rUCFQ2nnQod1kkA5A

They are pads the that come with the NVX version of an Fischer FA-003 Clone/ Brainwavz hm5.  Angled pleather pads, these could be interesting for those unoffended by pleather.

Those look like a great, cheaper alternative to custom leather pads or even stock Denon pads.  

I think I might have overstuffed the modded pads I have, as they are a little firmer than I expected, but they are still very comfortable.  I could easily remove some, but too lazy to undo the stitching again.

BTW, if anyone wants to play with pad mods, a $15 ergonomic pillow from Walmart provides you with enough memory foam for maybe 20 pairs.  Next up for me is getting ahold of some soft leather to see if I can make a decent headpad.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #9,986 of 11,345
Quote:

Really? Now I want to try these headphones with those pads out!! :D

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #9,987 of 11,345
These angled pads just pictured above should fit the T50rp? They look nice.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #9,988 of 11,345
Quote:
These angled pads just pictured above should fit the T50rp? They look nice.

I cannot confirm that they fit snugly since I never tried out the original FA-003/HM5 pads, but the NVX pads are designed to fit the same clone of the previously mentioned headphone(s).  With that said, they should fit.  Anywho... a little electrical tape does wonders 
size]

*Edit: They also sell the standard pad if you are looking for another pleather option

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #9,989 of 11,345
I would be interested in the angled pads. I have a thing for angled pads.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #9,990 of 11,345
If it's for the HM5 they should fit the same as the standard "straight" HM5 pads.
They fit the T50RP but require some quite a bit of stretching otherwise different methods of fixing it on.
If you take on/off the HM5 pads too often, you'll likely rip the flaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back