Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Feb 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #9,931 of 11,345
Nothing. I have no drivers for it 
size]

I figure I'll send them to BFM to experiment with and see if the spray rubber on the insides makes any difference. 

Aha, so currently they're fostex earmuffs...well they're the best looking earmuffs I've ever seen!

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #9,932 of 11,345
Here's my take on a headband. Nothing more than an old broken belt and some hockey (fabric) tape.

- leather strap roughly 25mm (10")
- a couple layers of tape to make a flap off the ends
- clamp the flap inside the headband assembly (takes a bit of fiddling and eyeballing with scissors and a hole punch to get the spacing just right... you want just enough length of flap to allow the leather to fold up, but too much and it'll be floppy)

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9,933 of 11,345
Quote:
Here's my take on a headband. Nothing more than an old broken belt and some hockey (fabric) tape.

- leather strap roughly 25mm (10")
- a couple layers of tape to make a flap off the ends
- clamp the flap inside the headband assembly (takes a bit of fiddling and eyeballing with scissors and a hole punch to get the spacing just right... you want just enough length of flap to allow the leather to fold up, but too much and it'll be floppy)

Cool.  I might try that.  

BTW, what the heck wire is that?  It looks crazy thick.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #9,934 of 11,345
On my headband I actually folded the tape over so it's adhered to both sides of the belt and no sticky sides are exposed. The simpler but less sturdy method would be to just leave it one sided, and not attach it to the belt first. Clamp the tape in, so now you don't have to fiddle with spacing, then line up the belt with the bottom edge of the headband and fold your tape up to hold it in place.

Oh the wire... lol, that's just the stock cable that I braided to be shorter. You can braid with a single wire; just fold over into thirds and gently weave, and you'll have to pull the loose end through the loops every cycle.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #9,935 of 11,345
I just bought a used pair of modded T50RPs and they were not good at the 5Hz area, the vocals were harsh, so I took them apart and completed the DBV3 mod and the difference is amazing! Very smooth, awesome detailed bass, crisp highs. For those not sure about these, I can tell you that these are on par (but different SS) with the HD600.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #9,936 of 11,345
Quote:
I just bought a used pair of modded T50RPs and they were not good at the 5Hz area, the vocals were harsh, so I took them apart and completed the DBV3 mod and the difference is amazing! Very smooth, awesome detailed bass, crisp highs. For those not sure about these, I can tell you that these are on par (but different SS) with the HD600.

you can hear 5Hz?

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #9,938 of 11,345
Been listening almost exclusively to my T50RP since I got it a few weeks ago and I'm still in awe of how good it sounds.  I've compared it to my AKG's and HD600 and find the Fostex to better them all in one or more areas.  I did perform some mods to the headphones by adding modeling clay to the backs of the drivers and acoustically absorbant padding on the interior of the cups.  Shure  SRH840 pads which boost the base and add more comfort.  Best headphones for the money I have owned.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Feb 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #9,939 of 11,345
Sorry, 5 kHz. I had to lower the 3kHz to 5kHZ range for it to sound natural to my ears, with the new mod they sound very good to me - much smoother, particularly the vocals and some instruments. I know they are not that popular but I use the HM5 pads with mine. I expoxied them on as I will not be opening them up anymore - time to just enjoy my music.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #9,940 of 11,345
Quote:
Sorry, 5 kHz. I had to lower the 3kHz to 5kHZ range for it to sound natural to my ears, with the new mod they sound very good to me - much smoother, particularly the vocals and some instruments. I know they are not that popular but I use the HM5 pads with mine. I expoxied them on as I will not be opening them up anymore - time to just enjoy my music.

Nice work Canuck99, I also use the HM5 pads on my paradox. I just stretched them over and they seal perfectly. If you have pretty good hand dexterity you should have no problem stretching the pad over the housing. Also you can use the hardcore doublesided tape to hold them on for a less permanent solution than epoxy. Good luck on the day you need to replace your pads! But for now just enjoy man! 

Cheers, 

~M

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #9,941 of 11,345
Quote:
Nice work Canuck99, I also use the HM5 pads on my paradox. I just stretched them over and they seal perfectly. If you have pretty good hand dexterity you should have no problem stretching the pad over the housing. Also you can use the hardcore doublesided tape to hold them on for a less permanent solution than epoxy. Good luck on the day you need to replace your pads! But for now just enjoy man! 

Cheers, 

~M

Michael's craft store: Alene's Fabric Fusion. Use 2 to 3 cm strips on 4 sides of the pads' undersurface for a semi-permanent fix.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #9,943 of 11,345
Quote:
Is there any way to remove the treble spike from 9khz to 11 khz? Without EQ some female vocals sound unbearably bright.

You could try placing various materials (foam, felt, etc.) in front of the driver. Surely there are materials that will help tone down that area. I've used foam from the KSC75 earpads before when dealing with hot treble, though I can't remember exactly what frequencies it mostly tames. Other than that, EQ is about all you can do...

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #9,944 of 11,345
Quote:
Is there any way to remove the treble spike from 9khz to 11 khz? Without EQ some female vocals sound unbearably bright.

I found removing just a little cotton help to tame some of those spikes (using a BMF DBV3 mod)

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #9,945 of 11,345
Quote:

I found removing just a little cotton help to tame some of those spikes (using a BMF DBV3 mod)

+1

The initial build is "initial." Each set must be tuned to suit each modder's preferences x gear x ears.

As little as 5 mm more or 5 mm less cotton thickness can make a significant change in the FR and sound quality.
5 mm Less = less treble, more bass.

Could also try with and without treble reflector.

"Bass Boost" holes in the stiff felt are optional and not generally needed.

IME/IMO/YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back