Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,281 of 11,345
LFF, can you say how your modded T50RP compares to the FA003/2W in terms of sound quality/signature?
Does it sound more natural than the FA003/2W?
Are you planning to write a review for the T50RP(modded)?

Thanks!

You people are annoying me with your T50RPs lunacy!
I'm starting to wonder if these modded can really compete and be as transparent as my modded GMP400...

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,282 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF, can you say how your modded T50RP compares to the FA003/2W in terms of sound quality/signature?
Does it sound more natural than the FA003/2W?
Are you planning to write a review for the T50RP(modded)?

Thanks!

You people are annoying me with your T50RPs lunacy!
I'm starting to wonder if these modded can really compete with my modded GMP400...

As many of you know, I love the FA-003/002W. Keep in mind that this is comparing apples to oranges as the Fischer headphones are dynamic headphones while the T50RP's are orthodynamic.

That being said, compared to the modded T50RP, there is just simply no comparison to speak of. The modded T50RP, for me, is an endgame headphone. It's the most natural sounding headphone I own and I can't really find a fault with it sound wise. The extended bass is just so clear and precise. The mids are extremely natural and liquid as are the highs.

The detail and clarity they put out is amazing. Last night I was listening to a favorite classical recording when I noticed some low level thumps which I had NEVER heard before. The culprit...someone was walking while they were recording. I had never heard this before...not on the Fischers, not on the LCD-2, not on the HD600, not on the Grado HP-2's, not on the JH13's, not on Omega electrostats and not on the Orpheus. The FR is very linear all the way up to the treble region and yet they maintain a very natural sound signature with perfectly accurate soundstage.

I do plan to write a full review of my modded T50RP. Hopefully it inspires people to buy one, mod it and save some money. Paired up with a good amp and source, I don't see why anyone would want anything more....especially considering the cost.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,283 of 11,345

Quote:
Looks like he managed to coax some upper mids out of those things, that looks really good! Wonder what he did.

Weird how the notches around 1 and 3k I hear don't look like spikes, but just long decay.

The ridges at between 1k and 3k were already there on the stock 'phones.  After mods, the ridges are slightly more evident on the L channel and less evident on the R channel. Go figure. This behavior is mostly a limitation of a closed or semi-closed cup design, especially with very limited volume in the stock T50rp enclosure.

As you mentioned, the FR (t=0ms) is much more linear.

LFF did a good job tuning by ear. Always trust your ears more than measurements. And always use the right measurements to measure!

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,284 of 11,345
LFF, you have once again piqued my interest on a headphone..I should just put you on ignore and my wallet will thank me :)

WIll you be posting your mods here and a how you did them either here or in your review? I've always been interested in this pair of headphones but never got around to buying them and then modding them but that may change..

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,285 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF, you have once again piqued my interest on a headphone..I should just put you on ignore and my wallet will thank me :)

biggrin.gif

If it makes you feel any better, to me, these modified T50RP's are an "endgame" headphone. I currently do not want nor need another headphone. So...if you get them, they just might be your final pair resulting in money saved!

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,286 of 11,345
Well I'm pretty content with what I have now so will see about this "end game" and if there really is one for me :p I just want to own various headphones with different sound signatures.

Either way I look forward to whenever this review will be posted but I imagine it will take some time. I have some headphones I like quite a bit already so no rush for me :)

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2,287 of 11,345

Absolutely agree with you 100% LFF, the detail and transparency is amazing, they are just perfect in every area, end game headphones is spot on.

Quote:
As many of you know, I love the FA-003/002W. Keep in mind that this is comparing apples to oranges as the Fischer headphones are dynamic headphones while the T50RP's are orthodynamic.

That being said, compared to the modded T50RP, there is just simply no comparison to speak of. The modded T50RP, for me, is an endgame headphone. It's the most natural sounding headphone I own and I can't really find a fault with it sound wise. The extended bass is just so clear and precise. The mids are extremely natural and liquid as are the highs.

The detail and clarity they put out is amazing. Last night I was listening to a favorite classical recording when I noticed some low level thumps which I had NEVER heard before. The culprit...someone was walking while they were recording. I had never heard this before...not on the Fischers, not on the LCD-2, not on the HD600, not on the Grado HP-2's, not on the JH13's, not on Omega electrostats and not on the Orpheus. The FR is very linear all the way up to the treble region and yet they maintain a very natural sound signature with perfectly accurate soundstage.

I do plan to write a full review of my modded T50RP. Hopefully it inspires people to buy one, mod it and save some money. Paired up with a good amp and source, I don't see why anyone would want anything more....especially considering the cost.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #2,288 of 11,345
I only have this headphone in my stable now :D

Quote:
biggrin.gif

If it makes you feel any better, to me, these modified T50RP's are an "endgame" headphone. I currently do not want nor need another headphone. So...if you get them, they just might be your final pair resulting in money saved!

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #2,290 of 11,345
Absolutely agree with you 100% LFF, the detail and transparency is amazing, they are just perfect in every area, end game headphones is spot on. 

End Game indeed.

I read b0wl1ng's posts about these cans while waiting 2 weeks for D7000's to be shipped. His enthusiasm got me to cancel my Denon order and I'm so glad I did. These are more than what I was hoping the D7000's would be, for 1/10th the price. Add one more convert to Team Ortho.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2,292 of 11,345
"Everyone is backed up until the end of september..." I think that's bullcrap. I think they've stopped making the headphone...
I kind of doubt we'll see anymore and am going out of my mind because I've searched for so long. I am peeved... Truly peeved. Sigh, this sucks. Why else would a headphone not be available?

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2,294 of 11,345

Quote:
"Everyone is backed up until the end of september..." I think that's bullcrap. I think they've stopped making the headphone...
I kind of doubt we'll see anymore and am going out of my mind because I've searched for so long. I am peeved... Truly peeved. Sigh, this sucks. Why else would a headphone not be available?

How "long" exactly have you searched? I saw them on BHPhoto for a while, and noticed they were out of stock at least a month ago. I was also told by PerformanceAudio that they will start shipping at the end of Sept as well. Why would they lie about that? I just don't see your reasoning/assumptions when these reputable shops are just telling us what they know.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,295 of 11,345

Quote:

This is what I received on 29-Aug in response to my query to info_sales@fostex.jp about whether the T50RP was still in production:

"Model T50RP is current and still in production, but we were temporarily out of stock or short in the past several months. We guess the unavailability was caused by that.
Sorry for the inconvenience.  We believe it will become available at stores soon."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back