Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #2,311 of 11,345

Quote:
Did Fostex stop producing the T50RP?

It just seems that everyone can't keep them on the shelves.

EDIT: Me and Keanex should be paid for this advertising
tongue.gif

But, good thing they aren't HOTM. They are truly worth anything.

You should be paid nothing and that commission would go to LFF :p Actually he's really good at making me buy stuff.

I think it's because they may not be as popular in terms of sales compared to their other models so they probably do not order many pairs. However people from here and similar forums who know about the T50RP buy them and the stock of them runs out and then they have to order more. This has happened before as well.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #2,312 of 11,345

Quote:
Here's what someone told me in PM a little while ago: "I find the T50RPs as my favorite headphone, even after my first headphone meet that I went to yesterday. I listened to the high-end LCD2 and Sennheiser HD800, though found out the term "high-end" is very subjective. If I treat the T50RP like "high-end", it certainly delivers. It's funny, because my T50RP surpassed all the dynamic 'phones in the $400-500 price range that was present at the meet, and I even preferred my T50RP over the HD800"

Of course, he went all the way through the mods...earpads, akasa, newplast, yada yada
heja1.gif

The good ole' legend that if you treat the HD650 like a $1K phone, it will deliver endlessly very much applies to the T50RP as well. Feed it w/ a crystal clear beefy source and prepare to be stunned. Personally, I've always been a mono-headphonus guy and that's not gonna change anytime soon.

The shebang is what's needed.

You've seen my T50RP? Look at my modded, in my signature.

I've went all out up to the point of cups and wiring. I'm very tempted for a rewire though. Cups don't really matter.

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2,313 of 11,345
The best part about the T50RP is it's so tweakable (at least for the brave DIYers out there) to suit your taste \m/ I bet HD800 and LCD2 can't be molested so much to bend to your palate
L3000.gif

But even if you're not so brave, removing the felt/fabric in front of the drivers and poking the vents should be very easy enough to up the performance level of the stock version.
beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2,314 of 11,345

Quote:
The best part about the T50RP is it's so tweakable (at least for the brave DIYers out there) to suit your taste \m/ I bet HD800 and LCD2 can't be molested so much to bend to your palate
L3000.gif

But even if you're not so brave, removing the felt/fabric in front of the drivers and poking the vents should be very easy enough to up the performance level of the stock version.
beerchug.gif

With the speed and the mids eccentric of the driver, you can point it at any direction.

I found the felt to do even worse then just plain blutak. But I might want to try a sponge...

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #2,316 of 11,345
I hope not like the thunderpants with respect to cost :p

real edit: and complexity of modding :D I believe and hope the T50RPs can be modified with minimal cost to bring it up to high end sound. My current tweak is still at 0 cost :D

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,318 of 11,345
The first two tweaks I recommend - you can do even with your eyes closed :D Okay, not with your eyes closed but definitely doable by yourself :wink:
You can actually borrow/listen to my T50s just in case.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,321 of 11,345
i queued up with my credit card for a pair of these earlier.  i blame LFF.    

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #2,324 of 11,345

Quote:
To LFF,
What mods were made to your Fostex cans? Are they like the thunderpants now?

The mods I made are not complicated at all. I initially started out with some of the more complicated mods but gave up when I didn't like the results.

IMHO, they sound better than the Thunderpants. I have auditioned a few Thunderpantses and none of them produced the bottom end my do. However, the thunderpants do look a hell of lot better than mine.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I messed up on my code for the waterfall plots. LFF mods measure even better now!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots/45#post_7730689

That is awesome news! Thanks for the update.

Sorry if I am not responding quickly enough to all of your PM's but I have been a bit under the weather lately. I will get to all of you eventually. Promise....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back