Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 26, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #11,162 of 11,345
Hi guys what are some good deep ear pads to use with t50rp. I'm currently using the HPAEC840 and my ears are touching the drivers it's very uncomfortable after 30mins.

Any suggestions recommendations would be appreciated thanks!

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #11,163 of 11,345
Many people are happy with the MrSpeakers alpha pads, however, there are cheaper options from Brainwavz; specifically the memory foam and angled memory foam pads (which are a little too small for the fostex enclosure, but can be installed)

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #11,165 of 11,345
It's been a long time. Modded these couple years back but than decided to sell them and purchased some LCD-2 Fazor.
But I decided trying modding again.

What are some new proven mods (besides the general cotton, clay, transpore tape, felt, acoustic dampening foam)?
What are some budget cables that people are using now?

thanks

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #11,166 of 11,345
What are some new proven mods (besides the general cotton, clay, transpore tape, felt, acoustic dampening foam)

Those are the proven mods, however, pad choice is paramount to the success of your mod. In my experience, most pleather pads tend to retain the 4 KHz dip and roughen the treble. If you don't crave a big bass or high isolation, the HM5 memory foam velour pads (angled or straight) are a good option (If you're not careful when mounting you will rip the elastic bands off). Many successful commercial mods use the MrSpeakers alpha pads or something similar. Start with the pads and then fine tune the signature to your liking progressively. I've found that more damping behind driver = more low treble, less bass, more absorption inside cup = less reverb, better bass. Try to address them separately, that means not overstuffing the cup with dampening materials that will add to the driver damping directly.

GL & HF

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #11,167 of 11,345
Those are the proven mods, however, pad choice is paramount to the success of your mod. In my experience, most pleather pads tend to retain the 4 KHz dip and roughen the treble. If you don't crave a big bass or high isolation, the HM5 memory foam velour pads (angled or straight) are a good option (If you're not careful when mounting you will rip the elastic bands off). Many successful commercial mods use the MrSpeakers alpha pads or something similar. Start with the pads and then fine tune the signature to your liking progressively. I've found that more damping behind driver = more low treble, less bass, more absorption inside cup = less reverb, better bass. Try to address them separately, that means not overstuffing the cup with dampening materials that will add to the driver damping directly.

GL & HF

Thanks.
Yes, I used the Shure pads and V-moda cable back when I did them.   Wondering about better cable option though.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #11,168 of 11,345
  It's been a long time. Modded these couple years back but than decided to sell them and purchased some LCD-2 Fazor.
But I decided trying modding again.

What are some new proven mods (besides the general cotton, clay, transpore tape, felt, acoustic dampening foam)?
What are some budget cables that people are using now?

thanks

Hi
I have a modded pair of T50RPs (used cosmetic foam pads, a bit of cotton, and mass loading with Plasticine. 
Happy with these as closed back planers for listening in noisy environment.  Excellent value for money.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/11040#post_11438592

However I enjoy my LCD-2F more for laid back listening session (mostly Jazz) when there is quiet in the house.  Much bigger bass and sound pressure from the larger drivers.  Wider sound stage and separation of instruments.

Ideally, I want a closed back LCD-2F (without spending more for the LCD-XC).

What I would like to see is someone modding the LCD-2F with the closed backs (like LCD-XC).

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #11,169 of 11,345
  Hi
I have a modded pair of T50RPs (used cosmetic foam pads, a bit of cotton, and mass loading with Plasticine. 
Happy with these as closed back planers for listening in noisy environment.  Excellent value for money.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/11040#post_11438592

However I enjoy my LCD-2F more for laid back listening session (mostly Jazz) when there is quiet in the house.  Much bigger bass and sound pressure from the larger drivers.  Wider sound stage and separation of instruments.

Ideally, I want a closed back LCD-2F (without spending more for the LCD-XC).

What I would like to see is someone modding the LCD-2F with the closed backs (like LCD-XC).

Yeah..the LCD-2F is a superior headphone. But I just found the LCD-2F too laid back. Had all the revisions too.
The bass was too over powering for me and treble still too laid back.
I prefer the Fostex midrange and at least I can adjust the treble and bass to my liking. So hoping to mod them once my Fostex arrives. What cable do you use? Is everyone still using v-moda cables as budget options?

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #11,171 of 11,345
Just wanted to thank the countless people that have contributed to this thread as the t50rp's have been a success story for me. Out the box I really was sure but after modding with things I had laying around I'm very happy. Make my takstar pro80, hi2050 and dt770 all sound like a muddy mess. My mods were very basic:

* usual plastercine
* taped off cup vents
* Dynomat xtreme over base of cup
* 4 cottonwooll buds unwrapped and laid in each cup
* taped off ear side vent and pin pricked it
* Brainwavz hm5 pads
* cheap headband pad off ebay

Basic standard affair but totally loving the sound for my tastes, mids very prominent with that nice crunchy crispy planar sound, perfect for what I listen to.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #11,172 of 11,345
I have just (yesterday) received an O2 amplifier, and I have been spending some time tonight comparing the T50RP (modified with plasticine, cotton, felt in the cups, Shure 840 pads) and the Beyerdynamic DT250.  The music is the last collaboration of two great Malian players: the late Ali Farka Toure (guitar) and Toumani Diabate (kora).  The recording is Nonesuch CD 522937-2 playing through a Dragonfly v.1.0 used as DAC.  I do not know which headphone I would choose, if I had to.  The DT250 has a slight mid-bass emphasis that seems a little artificial, but both headphones really let this beautiful music shine through.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #11,174 of 11,345
  How are the Mayflower cable and v3 pads? 

I cannot help you with that.  I bought the modification kit and the standard O2 from them only.  Both shipments came quickly and without trouble. Tyler (Mayflower Electronics' founder and president, I assume) is very responsive.  I contacted him first through the contact form on the website first, and then followed up by email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back