Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #11,147 of 11,345
I'm giving up on an open t50 mod. No time at all so....I have the he400 frame up for grabs if any of you modders want to try it. Sorry for the shameless plug! Can't wait to get back into the clos3d mods and seal these drivers forever!

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #11,150 of 11,345
Is there any reason to rewire these if there is no channel imbalance?  Is the wiring fragile, for instance?  

If mine are imbalanced, I haven't noticed it yet.  I do, however, want to repaint the cups, and it seems like everyone who paints the cups also rewires them.  I'll consider it if it seems remotely feasible, but don't want to screw these up, as the stock sound really only lacks lower bass to my ears.  

Rewire can give an improvement to sound. Also you'll benifit from the wiring style you want (dual entry, braded, ect) or moving to a balanced set up and over all higher quality.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #11,152 of 11,345
  I've always wondered, what does it mean when you say "balanced" cable?

Hi:

"Balanced" stereo can mean different things at each stage of the chain.  That is, you need a truly balanced DAC, a balanced Amp, and finally, headphones with separate left/right cables to each cup.

I use the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, but it is only "impedance balanced" (you really need a to have dual DACs, left/right, and isolated left right channels).

I initially re-wired my T50RPs because the stock 3.5mm socket was loose and causing static.  After installing a balanced cable, the difference in SQ is very minimal, in my experience.  However my silver plated Litz cables from my LCD2s did brighten up the sound a bit.

I mostly use my moddedT50RPs with my iPad (for Tidal and Netflix).  Happy customer.

I use

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,153 of 11,345
I've always wondered, what does it mean when you say "balanced" cable?

Most common balanced set up is a balanced amp.

All it means as it has separate amps driving the left and right individually. Inluded with that sort of set up would be a balanced cable. Normal stereo cables share the ground wires. With balanced, hopefully there's nothing shared.

And peterinvan said, the socket can be lose. For instance, I can't have mine fully locked in, or the right channel loses volume, instead I have it turned ever so slightly

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #11,155 of 11,345
  Hi:
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg

"Balanced" stereo can mean different things at each stage of the chain.  That is, you need a truly balanced DAC, a balanced Amp, and finally, headphones with separate left/right cables to each cup.

I use the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, but it is only "impedance balanced" (you really need a to have dual DACs, left/right, and isolated left right channels).

I initially re-wired my T50RPs because the stock 3.5mm socket was loose and causing static.  After installing a balanced cable, the difference in SQ is very minimal, in my experience.  However my silver plated Litz cables from my LCD2s did brighten up the sound a bit.

I mostly use my moddedT50RPs with my iPad (for Tidal and Netflix).  Happy customer.

I use

This is sick! I have to get my head to it!

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #11,156 of 11,345
To anyone using HM5 pads on their T50RP (and not taped on), how much did you need to stretch it? and which part of the pad, the inner diameter or the back flap? My pads and other modding materials are ready, so I'm starting to try and stretch the HM5 pads out for a couple weeks before I order the headphones.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #11,157 of 11,345
I had little luck with both the pleather and velour hm5 pads, while I could stretch them successfully to install, they started to rip pretty soon after I had to revise my mods a couple of times. In the case of the velour pads, the elastic band that kept the flap tensioned came undone, rendering the flap useless. I replaced the flaps with socks and adjusted my mods accordingly, the velour pads are pretty good sounding in this configuration (very similar to the stratopads).

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #11,159 of 11,345
  To anyone using HM5 pads on their T50RP (and not taped on), how much did you need to stretch it? and which part of the pad, the inner diameter or the back flap? My pads and other modding materials are ready, so I'm starting to try and stretch the HM5 pads out for a couple weeks before I order the headphones.

You can definitely get them to stretch wide enough to get onto the Tx0RPs, and you don't have to start doing it ahead of time. Just use some leather oil or something similar on the rim of the pads and just stretch small sections at a time with your fingers. I got an original pair of HM5 pads onto mine that way after stretching the rim a couple times in each spot without them ripping. You just have to have patience. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #11,160 of 11,345
go_quote.gif

You should measure resistance of each coil.
I have 8ohm difference. Rewire in this case not solve a problem. I decide to eliminate difference with 8 ohm resistor soldered to coil with smaller resistance:frowning2:

So basically you lowered the volume of the other side also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back