Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
May 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #11,131 of 11,345
Hey guys.. I just have a small update (with no pics unfortunately)

I have replaced the stock cable/jack with my old HE-400 Canare cable and the sound has massively changed for the better! So far I have mass loaded the cups, also applied acoustic foam and cotton batting as dampening. As I said before, I am using HE-400 pleather pads as well. The bass is unbelievable now! It is so punchy, low and present it baffles my mind. It responds very well to EQ and becomes even better. The mids are still the same I fell in love with and the highs are possibly a bit harsher than stock.

May 24, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #11,132 of 11,345
That's good news on the mod.
You can try a simple thing that is easily reversible without opening them up.

Use a square of acoustic foam and cover/stick it over the very center of the driver grid on the earside. It should slightly bring up bass a bit more but also  tone some highs down at the same time.

Also do not be afraid to add in some earside foam inserts or felt or something. You'll know when to much is too much, and what it affects in your situation.

So you bypassed the jack and did a non-detachable wiring?

May 24, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #11,133 of 11,345
Hey guys.. I just have a small update (with no pics unfortunately)

I have replaced the stock cable/jack with my old HE-400 Canare cable and the sound has massively changed for the better! So far I have mass loaded the cups, also applied acoustic foam and cotton batting as dampening. As I said before, I am using HE-400 pleather pads as well. The bass is unbelievable now! It is so punchy, low and present it baffles my mind. It responds very well to EQ and becomes even better. The mids are still the same I fell in love with and the highs are possibly a bit harsher than stock.

Wiring on stock t50RPs is terribad. My cans sound aweful, major unbalance between left and right. just waiting on the actual wire to redo them

The v3s looks like they "solved" the problem, all I see is sleeving. Which really doesn't do a thing

May 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #11,134 of 11,345
Wiring on stock t50RPs is terribad. My cans sound aweful, major unbalance between left and right. just waiting on the actual wire to redo them

The v3s looks like they "solved" the problem, all I see is sleeving. Which really doesn't do a thing

Do you really think it's the wiring that's causing your imbalance? Unless you desoldered and resoldered them I would bet it's not.

May 24, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #11,135 of 11,345
Do you really think it's the wiring that's causing your imbalance? Unless you desoldered and resoldered them I would bet it's not.

Yeah, unfortunately the t50 drivers don't always have the best L/R balance.  A measurement device/set-up is best to get them matched, otherwise you can just add/subtract material on each side until it sounds right I guess.  Like Nick said above you could also alter the frontal dampening to match L/R, but it's best to get the L/R matched with work inside the cups or by matching drivers (if you have extra drivers).

Ofcourse, yeah it could be the soldering. 

Typically changing the wiring out will give you better signal efficiency and overall timbre but won't solve that issue.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 24, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #11,136 of 11,345

Whelp, power of deduction. I've removed all my mods completely, I've switched the mods from left to right, I've tried a whole slue of sources and cables, different pads, ect ect ect.

It's hard to tell if it's frequency response or volume, or both. My ears aren't sensitive enough yet.

My only evidence,besides deduction, for wiring, is sometimes they get REALLY out of balance (the right goes funny like it always is, just worse) I play with the cable in the socket, and it comes back to its normal unbalanced place.

Besides, it's not like a rewire would be bad xD

EDIT: heh I know I've been VERY winny about it on the forums, but by goodness does it start to drive you crazy after awhile when you use multiple cans through the day, then come back to your main pair And have that issue...

May 24, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #11,139 of 11,345
I am, hence the rewire. I have everything reaady but the cable.

The plugs and everything cost maybe like $10, not the greatest, all metal though. The actual cable was like $12.

Worst case, rewire doesn't fix it. And doesn't change the sound. But now I have a nice custom cable, that's sleeved, and dual entry, with metal plugs and Jacks.

Besides, my dad wants to buy them off me, so I'll just buy v3s depending how they turn out. (Of course rewire those too eventually) I'll miss the Uber retro graphics on them though xD

May 24, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #11,140 of 11,345
HI!
I have huge disbalance between channels.
Measuring resistance shows such results: left is 51 Ohm, right is 43 ohm. Simplest solution is solder additionar resistor with 8ohm resistance. Fostex must work with their QQ.
PS Measurements taken from coils direct, with wires unsoldered.

May 27, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #11,142 of 11,345
Not usually but I have some older stuff that I guess is a mix of vinyl rips, and is biased towards one side.
Depends on the mastering/recording, and what it is. It'll be a case by case basis.

If you are at all curious about imbalance ( ?  unsure if this is what you are getting at ?) find a stereo receiver/amp that has a mono/stereo switch and try it in mono to see if it is the headphones or the tracks.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #11,144 of 11,345
Is there any reason to rewire these if there is no channel imbalance?  Is the wiring fragile, for instance?  

If mine are imbalanced, I haven't noticed it yet.  I do, however, want to repaint the cups, and it seems like everyone who paints the cups also rewires them.  I'll consider it if it seems remotely feasible, but don't want to screw these up, as the stock sound really only lacks lower bass to my ears.  

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #11,145 of 11,345
  Is there any reason to rewire these if there is no channel imbalance?  Is the wiring fragile, for instance?  

If mine are imbalanced, I haven't noticed it yet.  I do, however, want to repaint the cups, and it seems like everyone who paints the cups also rewires them.  I'll consider it if it seems remotely feasible, but don't want to screw these up, as the stock sound really only lacks lower bass to my ears.  

I re-cabled mine with my old HE-400 Canare cable and have noticed the bass become more present as well as the highs clear up. It's a subtle change, but nonetheless there.. to my ears at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back