Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #10,038 of 11,345
Got some T50RPs recently and I'm having trouble with the right channel cutting out. If I hold the cable in the right position, or if I plug it in upside down (so the cable points up in the lock position) it works no issues.

Any ideas?
Had the same problem and plugging it upside helped. but later I found that the problem was 6.35 jack. had to turn it left-right to fix.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #10,041 of 11,345
Finally got my NVX pads.  Confirmed that they don't really fit the T50RPs.  Didn't feel like gluing them on just to test so no report on how well they work with the T50RPs.  They do, however fit the frames for both Denon D2,5,7000 headphones and Hifiman HE-XXX headphones.   Very soft and comfy.  I might like them more than real leather, and certainly better than the typical fake leather.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #10,042 of 11,345
Quote:
Don't waste your time exchanging them. Deoxit will fix the problem and the next pair is likely to have the exact same problem.

Exchanging them takes 2 minutes from a local store tomorrow so I'll try that first. The only deoxit I can find locally is a 20 minute drive and 25 dollars, which I won't be able to try until Saturday anyway. so I'd like to try the free option first :p

Next step will be deoxit if the free option proves unsuccessful.

Thanks for your help

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #10,043 of 11,345
Quote:
Finally got my NVX pads.  Confirmed that they don't really fit the T50RPs.  Didn't feel like gluing them on just to test so no report on how well they work with the T50RPs.  They do, however fit the frames for both Denon D2,5,7000 headphones and Hifiman HE-XXX headphones.   Very soft and comfy.  I might like them more than real leather, and certainly better than the typical fake leather.

I agree with you completely about the comfort.  I was not expecting them to be so soft and breathable!  They fit my FA-011, but sounded dreadful doing so.  I plan to test it on my travel pair of sony MDR-V6.  Good to know about the Hifiman fit.  At the next headfi meetup, I will bring the pads and test them out if anyone is willing to let me slap 'em on.

Quote:
Exchanging them takes 2 minutes from a local store tomorrow so I'll try that first. The only deoxit I can find locally is a 20 minute drive and 25 dollars, which I won't be able to try until Saturday anyway. so I'd like to try the free option first :p

Next step will be deoxit if the free option proves unsuccessful.

Thanks for your help

Atta' boy!  Deoxit is handy to have, but I found the problem to be Fostex's 3.5mm termination rather than the connector itself.  All three of my units' problems disappeared when I tossed aside the stock cable.  No more worries about tugging the cable accidentally or worrying if my right channel was off balance. Chrislangley4253, I am not knocking the use of Deoxit, but rather proclaiming that the stock cable is absolute rubbish.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #10,044 of 11,345
I agree with you completely about the comfort.  I was not expecting them to be so soft and breathable!  They fit my FA-011, but sounded dreadful doing so.  I plan to test it on my travel pair of sony MDR-V6.  Good to know about the Hifiman fit.  At the next headfi meetup, I will bring the pads and test them out if anyone is willing to let me slap 'em on.

Atta' boy!  Deoxit is handy to have, but I found the problem to be Fostex's 3.5mm termination rather than the connector itself.  All three of my units' problems disappeared when I tossed aside the stock cable.  No more worries about tugging the cable accidentally or worrying if my right channel was off balance. Chrislangley4253, I am not knocking the use of Deoxit, but rather proclaiming that the stock cable is absolute rubbish.

Please let us know about the fit on the v6, I recently discovered that angled pads make a big difference on the mdr-v7 and I need new pads anyway

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #10,045 of 11,345
Quote:
Please let us know about the fit on the v6, I recently discovered that angled pads make a big difference on the mdr-v7 and I need new pads anyway

They should fit without any hiccups; I am more concerned with the sound.  The standard mod for the sonys is the beyer dt-250 pad swap.  The cheapest price is Sweetwater, but they are currently OOS (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/).

I will PM you as soon as I can test the NVX out; my girlfriend is borrowing my MDR-V6s at the moment.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #10,046 of 11,345
Quote:

Decided to try some Isopropyl alcohol as I figured it was near enough to Deoxit and I've used it for similar applications in the past. Seems to have worked for now.

Out of interest what cable did you replace it with? I may look down that avenue if the issue returns

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #10,047 of 11,345
They should fit without any hiccups; I am more concerned with the sound.  The standard mod for the sonys is the beyer dt-250 pad swap.  The cheapest price is Sweetwater, but they are currently OOS (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/).

I will PM you as soon as I can test the NVX out; my girlfriend is borrowing my MDR-V6s at the moment.

You are the man. i look forward to hearing your impressions

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #10,048 of 11,345
Quote:
Decided to try some Isopropyl alcohol as I figured it was near enough to Deoxit and I've used it for similar applications in the past. Seems to have worked for now.

Out of interest what cable did you replace it with? I may look down that avenue if the issue returns

Now why did I not think of rubbing alcohol?!  Must've been busy hoarding my whisky collection. 
size]

Cable picture and linky (not my picture... I think it's Jude's):

http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back