Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Apr 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #10,066 of 11,345
Quote:

BMF and I have been working on some ideas about pads.  He has concluded through testing that the 840 pads make a MASSIVE difference.  Isolation over stock is due mostly due to the seal.  I would reocmmend getting 840 pads ASAP.  They are on sale at Amazon currently, with free 1 day shipping by using Discover.  I personally hate the 840 pads, but am willing to reconsider them due to how easy BMF has made tuing with them.  

Follow BMF's DBV#3 to get an idea how to squeeze everything you can out of a T50rp.  Using his guides will help familarize yourself with the ins and outs of between different tweaks.  If you haven't read this thread, I would encourage you to: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements#post_8535316

I just got the Shure pads today, and man, were you right!  I ended up putting a little cotton in the cups, along with sealing them, and they sound great.  Now we'll see if I can leave well enough alone...

I don't think it can be overstated how much of a difference the pads make.  It really completely transforms the cans.  Definitely a must have upgrade, imo.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #10,067 of 11,345
Just started my mods today after about a week of listening to the stock version. Opened them up, and sealed the jack and wire-entry points in the cups with silicone. My plasticine, Dynamat and Shure pads should arrive today, the Silverstone was on my doorstep yesterday.

Out of curiosity, how does Acousti-Pack compare to Silverstone? I see no one is Dynamatting the cups before putting down the Silverstone anymore...any reason for this?

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #10,068 of 11,345
I swapped my Shure 840 pads for the Alpha Dog pads today, sounds like I lost a bit of treble, but gained in soundstage and comfort. Will be fiddling with my T50RP again in a couple weeks when I get back to uni to get my treble back. :)

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #10,069 of 11,345
Grief...started putting the plasticine in the baffles. I am terrified of moving the wires too much and having them break off at the drivers (had a nasty incident with a Magnum build recently with rather comedic results...well, comedic in retrospect).

Half way through the second though and nothing tragic yet, knock on wood.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #10,070 of 11,345
so far I have not made any changes to mine.  I do use them with a portable amp, and for jazz I am quite satisfied. I will say in fairness that I have not used these at home with better equipment and I am less demanding on the headphones and amp that I use at the coffee shop, library etc.

I been thinking of replacing the pads.  Can any one make a suggestion ?  I have seen a reference to the byer 770 pads and Sure 840.  

I bought mine from B&H for under $100.  It was an impulse buy.  At somepoint I will probably sell these and move to the HiFiman series.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #10,071 of 11,345
so far I have not made any changes to mine.  I do use them with a portable amp, and for jazz I am quite satisfied. I will say in fairness that I have not used these at home with better equipment and I am less demanding on the headphones and amp that I use at the coffee shop, library etc.

I been thinking of replacing the pads.  Can any one make a suggestion ?  I have seen a reference to the byer 770 pads and Sure 840.  

I bought mine from B&H for under $100.  It was an impulse buy.  At somepoint I will probably sell these and move to the HiFiman series.

The Shure 840 pads are what I used on mine prior to buying the Alpha dog pads. Very comfortable, thicker than the stock pads so gives your ears a bit more room. The Shure 940 velour pads are very nice as well.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #10,072 of 11,345
SRH840 pads are the "Shurest" way to increase comfort and sound quality (bass).  Also the most economical.  I think only moving up to custom pads like the J$ variants is a big enough step up in quality and comfort.  I have no experience with the Maddog pads.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #10,073 of 11,345
Will sealing around the jack and baffle really increase the bass? Do they really leak in these two places?

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #10,074 of 11,345
The jack doesn't leak if you're using the stock cable, but it will if you're using the V-moda one. If anything though, leaking there might actually increase bass.

As for sealing the baffle, I found it did improve bass in the very lowest octaves. This mod can be done with a piece of tape though, so it's really no effort to try.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #10,075 of 11,345
Quote:

After a $100 impulse buy, I think a $16 pair of pads (Shure 840) is a no-brainer.  They improved comfort a bit, and really brought the cans to life, particularly on the low end.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #10,076 of 11,345
Quote:
After a $100 impulse buy, I think a $16 pair of pads (Shure 840) is a no-brainer.  They improved comfort a bit, and really brought the cans to life, particularly on the low end.

Out of all the T50rp mods out there, the 840 pads offer the biggest change. Stuffing the inside of the cups with cotton, and mass loading the baffles help, but the pads are by far the most drastic change. The pads fit right on and it takes no more than maybe 3-5 minutes to take the old ones off and put the new ones on. They take them from being bass light to neutral(ish).

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #10,077 of 11,345
My Q701 usually gets a lot more use than my T50rp, but tonight I've been using the T50rp for several hours sampling a good deal of my music library. I use to think that my T50rp didn't really have that much more bass than my Q701, but I've changed my mind. They bass is plentiful and big. There is still one thing that I can't place my finger on though. I can't tell if my T50rp has too much in the lower mid-range and upper bass region or if it's just the smaller soundstage that sometimes makes them sound congested. Either way, sometimes they sound a bit congested to me, not really muddy or slow, just congested. If I cut out about 3-5db from the 250-500hz area with an EQ they sound cleaner to me. Anyway to fix this without resorting to EQ?

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #10,078 of 11,345
Could i get the mids of say a sennheiser hd598, but with better bass, speed and clarity out of a modded t50? Im so sick of not buying these! Give me the reason!!!!!!

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #10,079 of 11,345
Quote:
 Im so sick of not buying these! Give me the reason!!!!!!

If you don't, all the cool kids are gonna make fun of you. Then you won't get invited to any birthday parties!

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #10,080 of 11,345
If you don't, all the cool kids are gonna make fun of you. Then you won't get invited to any birthday parties!

I just want to fit in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back