Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #4,096 of 11,346
Was listening intently with Beatles' Abbey Road back in the office and sort of A/B'ing the two:

Musiland 02US>headphone out>dogearsonicsEM3pro
Musiland 02US>line out>Headsave Classic>Pawbulous Pawstex
and realized that the 4 Beatles were singing on the chorus of Carry That Weight while listening with the Pawstex! The Pawbulous Pawstex has already beaten my EM3 on resolution
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #4,097 of 11,346
Another option to the 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor is to get a mini to mini cable.  Make sure that at least one end of the cable has a low profile or else it just wouldn't fit into that narrow input on the headphone side.

I use the monster studio replacement cable.  You can find it on ebay for about $15 to $20.

Also, a few pages back, someone mentioned using a V-Moda cable, and apparently that fits perfect.

The third option is to recable yourself, and connect cables directly to the drivers, then terminating it with a 1/8 plug.  A little more expensive and time consuming, but if you get the right cables, it could give it a different flavour.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #4,098 of 11,346
Cool,  glad you guys had a listen and thought it was fun on the t50 :)   I found a sweet new sponge material im gonna try in the cup today, its a cosmetic facial sponge, its got big pores and looks like it might work alright, hmmm, i'll let you know what happens later. 

M

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #4,099 of 11,346
I'll be expanding on this later once I have tweaked these a bit more, but I've slightly changed directions with my mod. Swapped out the stiff felt for something closer to the stock felt (1 layer of a dryer sheet cut to size), removed any obstructions from the vent (stock felt kept in place), took off acoustic foam that was on top of plasticine in baffle, and am tuning the bass (and sound in general) with cotton balls in the cups. Also got rid of any acoustic foam that was lifting up the earpads.

This is definitely the direction I was looking to take them in. Much more on the neutral side without those oddities in the sound that I couldn't put my finger on. No need to upgrade pads, either, which is a plus.

I encourage everyone to try mods more along these lines. Keep the stock white felt if you can, and work off that. I regret taking mine off, but the dryer sheet seems to be just fine. Not a loss in my mind. If you've removed the stock felt over the vents, it's easy to put back in place with a bit of glue. Don't cover these vents. I found that the cotton balls do a better job tuning the bass than covering the vents.

Again, I'll be expanding on this and my reasons for changing once I finish tweaking them.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4,100 of 11,346

Quote:
I'll be expanding on this later once I have tweaked these a bit more, but I've slightly changed directions with my mod. Swapped out the stiff felt for something closer to the stock felt (1 layer of a dryer sheet cut to size), removed any obstructions from the vent (stock felt kept in place), took off acoustic foam that was on top of plasticine in baffle, and am tuning the bass (and sound in general) with cotton balls in the cups. Also got rid of any acoustic foam that was lifting up the earpads.

This is definitely the direction I was looking to take them in. Much more on the neutral side without those oddities in the sound that I couldn't put my finger on. No need to upgrade pads, either, which is a plus.

I encourage everyone to try mods more along these lines. Keep the stock white felt if you can, and work off that. I regret taking mine off, but the dryer sheet seems to be just fine. Not a loss in my mind. If you've removed the stock felt over the vents, it's easy to put back in place with a bit of glue. Don't cover these vents. I found that the cotton balls do a better job tuning the bass than covering the vents.

Again, I'll be expanding on this and my reasons for changing once I finish tweaking them.

Awesome. Glad to hear it's working out.
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4,101 of 11,346
Anybody want to trade materials?

I have about 1.5 to 2 square feet of dynamat extreme, leftovers from another project, and way more then I need for this.

I don't have anything else, I figure I can go buy the plasticine locally, but would need to order some Paxmate.

Instead, wondering if anybody out there that needs dynamat, and has extra paxmate?

Again, I have dynamat extreme and want to trade for paxmate.

Send me a PM if interested.

Since my cans are on backorder, I have a little while before I get them anyway.

Randy

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #4,102 of 11,346
Actually, if someone has some extra Silverstone or Paxmate acoustic foam left over that they won't be needing, I would love to take it off your hands.  I'm running very low, as in I don't have enough to make any more earpad doughnuts which means I can't open these up anymore. 

Please let me know if you'd be willing to donate!

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4,103 of 11,346

Quote:
And so did many ppl when the HD800 just got released, a good neutral phone is not meant to blow you away.

Where? When I asked a PM at Beyer I know, he told me that the T1 exhibited a very high magnetic field within the cups, but that there were safety rules in Europe for the maximum power allowed on the ear side and that the driver was fully shielded to only allow a minimal "normal" rate to reach the listener's skull. Rules might change in Japan of course, and I personally don't think that having 580VDC constantly flowing around your skull in the Stax's can be good to anyone. So much for whining about cell phones ^^

It was a joke.  

However, I guess I'll stop wearing my O2 in the shower...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4,104 of 11,346
Quote:
Awesome. Glad to hear it's working out.
beerchug.gif

Definitely, thanks for the tips! BTW, I was planning on mentioning that I got the tips from you when I went into more details on the mods at a later point. Don't want you to think I wasn't planning on giving you credit. :wink:

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #4,105 of 11,346
I just got my T50rp's and haven't started playing with them yet, too many orthos! 

But it looks to me like the white material on the back of the driver is not felt, but thin paper of some kind.  Am I wrong here?  Fostex used paper (I think fiberglass paper) on the back of some of their earlier models (T20v2), so it wouldn't surprise me.  I've found thin porous paper to be an excellent damping material on the back of ortho drivers. 

And has anyone tried lining the back of the cups with felt and compared that to the acoustic foam?  I couldn't fit much paxmate into my favorite Yamahas because it's too thick, but from the bit I could fit, it didn't seem that different from felt.  Not a great test though. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #4,106 of 11,346

just got my T50rp's

Talk about being late to the party! Enjoy the show
bluecactus.gif

Musiland 02US [..] resolution
beerchug.gif

I really don't mean to sound patronizing, harsh or anything...but I've briefly owned the OP275/SMPS based 02US, I can safely say that you haven't quite heard what the T50RP can do for you. Treat it like a $1K phone and you won't regret it.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #4,108 of 11,346
what did Gary have to say ??  :)  besides lots of things he could say haha

M

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #4,110 of 11,346
I'm working on it
wink.gif
But still going the DIY path
cool.gif
where price/performance ratio is at its best
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I really don't mean to sound patronizing, harsh or anything...but I've briefly owned the OP275/SMPS based 02US, I can safely say that you haven't quite heard what the T50RP can do for you. Treat it like a $1K phone and you won't regret it.

Just curious (I already sent a PM to 1 person), what amp are you using it with? Was googling the likes of WA6 yesterday even though I know I WILL NOT AFFORD it
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back