Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,111 of 11,346
I might be beating on a dead horse by asking this question but I was wondering how these modded t50rp sound through a ipod Touch or  Sansa Fuze? Or do I need something like a hifi602 or 801 to make it sound good. What is the cheapest mod to do with the highest audio improvement?

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4,112 of 11,346

Quote:
I'm working on it
wink.gif
But still going the DIY path
cool.gif
where price/performance ratio is at its best
beerchug.gif

Just curious (I already sent a PM to 1 person), what amp are you using it with? Was googling the likes of WA6 yesterday even though I know I WILL NOT AFFORD it
rolleyes.gif

If you're looking for inexpensive, and DIY, try looking at the Objective2 amp. I personally haven't heard this combo (although the PCBs from the group buy seem to be making their way into the wild now), but early reports have been good. I know that LFF has used this combo for a while, so maybe he can chime in. 

Quote:
I might be beating on a dead horse by asking this question but I was wondering how these modded t50rp sound through a ipod Touch or  Sansa Fuze? Or do I need something like a hifi602 or 801 to make it sound good. What is the cheapest mod to do with the highest audio improvement?

I've tried it briefly out of my iPod Classic. I do get sound out of it, but it will sound thin compared to a more powerful amp. Strangely enough, if we're talking pure volume, I can get the Fostex louder straight out of my iPod than either my Grados or Ultrasone HFI-580, both of which are notoriously easy-to-drive. But then when I plug into a proper source, the Fostex sings, while the others don't scale quite as well. 

Also, the mods with the highest improvement is mass-loading the baffle, and some sort of acoustic damping on the back of the cups, in my experience. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4,113 of 11,346

Quote:
I'm working on it
wink.gif
But still going the DIY path
cool.gif
where price/performance ratio is at its best
beerchug.gif

Just curious (I already sent a PM to 1 person), what amp are you using it with? Was googling the likes of WA6 yesterday even though I know I WILL NOT AFFORD it
rolleyes.gif

Which DIY amp will it be? I really like both of my amps with the T50RP I have but the V200 is better but also does add some warmth. The PPAv2 is perfect in terms of price to performance ratio since I got it at a steal but sadly the boards for the PPAv2 is no longer available.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #4,114 of 11,346
per earlier, the facial sponge i picked up today and cut into the cups atop the paxmate didnt sound really any different than open cups with paxmate. like many others started doing a while ago like fishski and...cant remember the rest, the cotton balls in the cup work really nice. Thanks to LFF for encouraging me to try the cottonballs on top of the paxmate! 

M

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #4,117 of 11,346
I'd like a comparison between your pawtex or whatever it is u call ur T50RP when you finish mods and get the chance to. What pads are those?

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #4,118 of 11,346
This is already way past half of what the Pawstex is doing :p
Pads is synthetic leather(?) from a local seller: http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=5206&main=34
worth <USD1 a pair. I stitched them together for one side (best sounding config for me).
Fuseboxx prefer 1 and wishing for 1.5 if possible :p [he owns DT770] when he listened with the Pawstex.

Hmn, maybe I'll stitch the stock pads together as well.

I'm off to cdrking later to get 2 pairs of the pads.

Ishca if you're reading this... want me to stock some pads for you??? :D

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #4,119 of 11,346
Stockpads*2 on each side renders a different sound: thicker/flabby(?) bass that sounds like a ported (sub)woofer. Treble sounds polished and more extended.

And its definitely more comfortable :p

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #4,120 of 11,346
Not sure if these cans really need a significant of modding since as far as I've heard, the stock sounds pretty good already and a matter of changing the pads - like what dogears mentioned - already helps with the bass quite a bit.

Having said that, the order I'd consider modding these cans is:

1) Change the pads
2) Play around with the 3x3 grills

I'd imagine one can do quite a bit of customization playing around with those grills.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #4,121 of 11,346
^He means the back of the driver w/ the white paper thing removed and replaced with Transpore/Micropore/Masking tape combo as per my Pawstex (T50rp).

My plan is not to tamper with that anymore. Just to add my recipe on the cups and see how it goes :)

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4,122 of 11,346
This is not really relate to this thread but i have just modded my current headphone while waiting for t50rp to be stock 
mad.gif
, inspire by dogear's ear pad mod:

The first thing i do was add some cotton wool to angle the pad, result was excellent, soundstage is wider, i can hear more detail. After that, i merged 2 pad together and expected it would be better. The soundstage after this mod is really wide but it lost the depth, the sound is more 2d. Maybe this mod is only work with the fostex?

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #4,124 of 11,346
@proid, notice that my cdrkings pads are quite thin and its 'tougher' than the stock pads.

Just got from cdrking shop:

Stock T40RP2 with stockpads*2
(DT770 on the background)

fuseboxx w/ stockT40RP2+stockpads*2

note that pads are just pressing against t40 and fuseboxx
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #4,125 of 11,346
The T50RP requires some juice, a beefy amp, 3000mW into 50ohms aint exactly a light foot. The Schiit Lyr is a good powerfull tube amp, but I really want a Solid State, how would the Audio-GD C.2.2 go with the T50RP?

[size=medium]C-2.2   Specification[/size]
[size=x-small]S/N Ratio[/size]
[size=x-small]118db (Input short)

[/size]
[size=x-small] Output Level[/size]
[size=x-small]11V RMS

[/size]
[size=x-small]Output Power[/size] [size=x-small]25 ohm : 4500MW
40 ohm: 3000MW
100 ohm: 1200MW
300ohm : 400MW
600 ohm: 200MW
[/size]
[size=x-small]Gain[/size]
[size=x-small]4DB (Gain setting L)
13DB (Gain setting H)

[/size]
[size=x-small]Volume Characteristic[/size] [size=x-small]Applied I/V change volume control[/size]
[size=x-small]Output Impedance[/size]
[size=x-small]1.5 Ohms (HP amp)

[/size]
[size=x-small]Input Impedance[/size]
[size=x-small]47K Ohms (RCA input)

<10 Ohms (ACSS input)

[/size]
[size=x-small]Frequency Breadth[/size]
[size=x-small]2Hz to 130KHz (ACSS input ,1V output level)[/size]

[size=10pt]Fostex T50-RP Flagship RP Model Headphones Specifications[/size]

1. [size=10pt]Frequency Response: 15Hz - 35kHz[/size]
  2. Max Input 3000 mW
  3. Impedance 50 ohm

NOTE: The C.2.2 does 3000mW into 40ohm, and the max input of the T50RP is 3000mW into 50ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back