Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 19, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #4,066 of 11,345
So I have these bad boys in front of me, and after listening for a while stock WOW! just like the OP says I can hear the potential. So now I just have one question I've opened them up I'm staring the baffles in the face. HOw much plasticine do I use how much is 5-6 time the normal amount xD?

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #4,067 of 11,345

Quote:
Stax SR007 and Omega 2 is the same headphone. The full name is SR007 Omega II 

There you go...Thanks mate. Clearly its a FAIL on my part for not knowing this
eek.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #4,068 of 11,345
Quote:
Its a shame that they're dynamic, because I've really fallen in love with the way the ortho's sound.  Its way more natural especially in the mids.

I've not yet heard this "more natural" sound from my T50RPs. I have:

1. Silverstone foam completely covering the inside of the cups (neat and tidy, no "draping" anywhere)
2. Stock felt over vents, Silverstone foam covers all but the bottom slit. Tape used on the outside to tune bass (has 2mm or so hole open)
3. Plasticine loaded baffles, with Silverstoam foam covering that
4. Stiff felt over driver (correct kind)
5. Ring of Silverstone foam under earpads with a second layer on back half
6. 840 earpads

They sound good, no doubt, but I have to admit that they aren't wowing me like I was led to believe they would. I have owned some HD598s before, and I currently own D2000s that I've modded into open-backed headphones (listened to them for several months in stock form). I've heard people saying that the modded T50RPs sounded noticeably better than, say, an HD650...and I'm just not hearing it. I am not hearing anything that immediately jumps out at me saying, "This sounds so much better than what I've heard before".

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with my mods or what. Or maybe I'm just hearing oddities in the sound that will only be fixed by something like the RP2 mods. Having heard the difference between the stock earpads and the 840 earpads with RP1-type mods, I have no doubt in my mind that the O2 pads could make a huge difference. I believe mrspeakers claimed the O2 pads bring out the bass in the T50RPs, hence the vents being completely closed in the RP2 mods. I feel like when I completely close the vents, there is something about the sound that seems more natural (ignoring the total lack of bass). So, I'm under the impression that if I can close that off with the added benefits of the O2 pads, perhaps it will match my preferences. I might just be hearing those peaks in the bass/lower mids that people were referring to. Still, that doesn't explain why I'm not hearing this absolutely amazing sound that people are speaking of with mods that don't use the O2 pads or cost a lot of money.

Oh well, I'm having fun, and I can hear the potential! Despite all this, I can't wait to see what else I can get out of them!

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #4,069 of 11,345
edit: Quote:
+1

I was just telling another member about how I haven't touched a dynamic headphone in quite some time. Orthos (and a Stax Lambda set I'm borrowing from another member) have been all I've been listening to for the past month at least. 

^+2! Specially when you get the right amount of treble.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #4,071 of 11,345
This is 4 or 5 times the normal amount of plasticine in the baffles:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/3945

post #3952

I hear a significant improvement after "BMF Super Mass Loading" and adding Dynamat to the ear side of the baffle.   
wink_face.gif

Quote:
So I have these bad boys in front of me, and after listening for a while stock WOW! just like the OP says I can hear the potential. So now I just have one question I've opened them up I'm staring the baffles in the face. HOw much plasticine do I use how much is 5-6 time the normal amount xD?

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #4,072 of 11,345
In response to my previous post, I tried fooling around with the EQ while listening to these. Bumped up the frequencies at 2KHz and above just a hair, and they do sound considerably better to my ears. I also closed the vents a bit more. That also helped, though their still seems to be a little bit of bloat. Perhaps the felt I'm using is too breathable? No one answered my previous question about the varying thickness/density in the 2mm stiffened Creatology felt...

Either way, I can see now why people are raving about these...but something still sounds off to my ears...I wish I was better at pinpointing problems like these, because I'm not sure WHAT it is that sounds off...

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #4,073 of 11,345

Quote:
This is 4 or 5 times the normal amount of plasticine in the baffles:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/3945

post #3952

I hear a significant improvement after "BMF Super Mass Loading" and adding Dynamat to the ear side of the baffle.   
wink_face.gif

You might as well just move up to tungsten putty at this rate... or maybe just shove lead shot into the plasticine.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #4,074 of 11,345

Quote:
OT: Dang, that TH900 is a beauty! Woof woof!

at 100,000 Yen ($1300 USD), I think I will be sticking to the T50RP's.

and

THERE NOT EVEN ORTHO'S
eek.gif

October 2011
Fostex will be launching the new TH900 Dynamic Headphones at CanJam @ RMAF which is to be held at the Denver Marriott Tech Center on October 14, 15, and 16, 2011.
TH900 Dynamic Headphones
Model TH900 is a pair of flagship dynamic headphones from Fostex featuring newly developed drivers with 1.5 tesla magnetic flux density and housings beautifully finished by Japanese lacquer.
  1. Newly developed 50mm dia dynamic type driver units with 1.5 tesla magnetic flux density
  2. Beautiful housing finished by “Urushi”, Japanese lacquer, made by traditional craftsmanship
  3. Headphone cable made of high purity OFC of 7N grade (99.9999%)

The D7000 T1 hybrid monster has arrived!!! Muhuhahahaa

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4,075 of 11,345
Nah, I'm satisfied with this, for now.  Let me know how that works for you, though.  
beerchug.gif

Quote:
You might as well just move up to tungsten putty at this rate... or maybe just shove lead shot into the plasticine.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #4,076 of 11,345

Quote:
They sound good, no doubt, but I have to admit that they aren't wowing me like I was led to believe they would. I have owned some HD598s before, and I currently own D2000s that I've modded into open-backed headphones (listened to them for several months in stock form). I've heard people saying that the modded T50RPs sounded noticeably better than, say, an HD650...and I'm just not hearing it. I am not hearing anything that immediately jumps out at me saying, "This sounds so much better than what I've heard before".

Each mod sounds very different. What might work for Mr.Speakers might not work for you. What might work for me might not work for you. What might work for X person might not work for Y person. You get the idea. The T50RP's can really be turned into some fine sounding headphones capable of playing with all the big boys and even beating them. My goal at the moment is to match them with the SR-009. A challenge...I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with my mods or what. Or maybe I'm just hearing oddities in the sound that will only be fixed by something like the RP2 mods. Having heard the difference between the stock earpads and the 840 earpads with RP1-type mods, I have no doubt in my mind that the O2 pads could make a huge difference. I believe mrspeakers claimed the O2 pads bring out the bass in the T50RPs, hence the vents being completely closed in the RP2 mods. I feel like when I completely close the vents, there is something about the sound that seems more natural (ignoring the total lack of bass). So, I'm under the impression that if I can close that off with the added benefits of the O2 pads, perhaps it will match my preferences. I might just be hearing those peaks in the bass/lower mids that people were referring to. Still, that doesn't explain why I'm not hearing this absolutely amazing sound that people are speaking of with mods that don't use the O2 pads or cost a lot of money.

I have said it before but it's worth repeating...THE O2 PADS MAKE THE T50RP SOUND WORSE. I have had pads measured and the O2 pads are the worse of the custom pads. I won't argue about the comfort but they sound bad.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #4,078 of 11,345
Quote:
I have said it before but it's worth repeating...THE O2 PADS MAKE THE T50RP SOUND WORSE. I have had pads measured and the O2 pads are the worse of the custom pads. I won't argue about the comfort but they sound bad.

I must have missed that. Do they measure worse just by themselves or across all mods?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #4,079 of 11,345

Quote:

Oh well, I'm having fun, and I can hear the potential! Despite all this, I can't wait to see what else I can get out of them!

I completely agree with you about the lack of a "wow" factor with this headphone. I felt the exact same way the first time I heard the LCD-2.

When I first heard the K701, my first thought was "Wow! The soundstage is so huge, and the treble is so detailed!"

When I first heard the HD650, my first thought was "Wow! the sound is so warm and lush!"

When i first heard the Pro 900, my first thought was "Wow! The bass literally shakes my brain loose!" 

But with all of those headphones, the more I listen, the more I realized that the strengths were at the expense of some increasingly nagging weaknesses. The K701 was too dry and lacked the body to perform well with most genres. The HD650 seemed lazy and washed over the finer details. The Pro 900's recessed midrange buried any vocals beneath the bass and treble frequencies.

I demo'd the LCD's for about an hour at a local hi-fi store. When I first put them on, I was disappointed because for 1K they'd better provide a much bigger "WOW" factor than those mid-tiered phones. Nothing really jumped out. But the more I listened, the more they charmed their way into my soul. They presented the music in such a smooth and natural way, with no glaring weaknesses in its presentation. These were headphones that didn't impose their character into the music, but melted out of the way to let you enjoy your music. 

I feel a well-tuned T50RP is the same way. As you've found, the hardest part (in my experience) is reconciling the lower midrange bloom with the bass presentation. It seems the more you improve one area, the more you displace from the performance of the other. I'm not even sure I've extracted the most I can, but I've settled on a happy medium between the two (with a somewhat similar setup as yours).

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #4,080 of 11,345

Quote:

Each mod sounds very different. What might work for Mr.Speakers might not work for you. What might work for me might not work for you. What might work for X person might not work for Y person. You get the idea. The T50RP's can really be turned into some fine sounding headphones capable of playing with all the big boys and even beating them. My goal at the moment is to match them with the SR-009. A challenge...I know.

I don't know about that. All the mods are different and then there are mods tuned to a specific earpad such as the RP2 so I don't think that statement can be made for all the mods. You can fine tune the T50RP for your taste so I really would say that it depends.

Also I don't think I'll ever be just an ortho or just a dynamic. I need both and enjoy both. I have been listening to a lot of orthos lately with the T50RP as well as the HE-4 but I also have my K501 which I got today and my DT880 and also my Magnums so I'm more of a good sound kind of guy with various signatures. I don't care what kind of driver technology it is as long as it sounds good then the rest doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back