Just got koss pro dj100 and it's great!
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #31 of 83
 T
I just got some DJ100's at best buy yesterday. I also have the MT50's and have been throurougly enjoying them for the last couple months. To ME, the MT50's sound way better overall. The base is nice, tight and accurate... the DJ100's are definitely lacking in that. The highs are also a lot more pronounced on the MT50's. To ME,, the DJ100's sound like a cheaper,. generic headphone. No bass, no highs, but LOTS of mids. The reason I got them is for my wife. She doesnt care about all that, but she does like the fact that they're lighter and somewhat more confy to wear over long periods of time. If I were to compare the sound of the DJ100... they sound like the Denon 1001's I tried a couple weeks back. Bottom line is.. the MT50s are better headphones all around and WELL worth they price. The DJ100's are for mid lovers.. and I'm not one of those people :) Sound isolation is also much better with the MT50s.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #32 of 83
What is the MT50? Audio Technica ATH-M50?
Sounds like you may be using the DJ100s straight out of a computer or Ipod without an amp. If so, that could explain the lack of high end and the bass. The DJ100 doesn't lack in bass at all when properly amped. Some have good results with them out of portable players. I personally wouldn't even use them straight out of an Ipod Touch. Using them with a smaller player is even worse. For me, the DJ100 plus the E5 AND a larger player like the Ipod Touch is the absolute bare minimum to get them to sound great.

It could be you just aren't a fan of it's sound which is understandable. Lack of bass just made me think something must be wrong and it's being under-driven. They're actually one step down from being bass heavy I think (when properly amped). The sound is very balanced to me, but slightly more of that fun sound signature.

I'm not bothered by the highs and I don't really find they have a lack of treble in the slightest. My HD-600 is actually less treble happy then the DJ100 by far.

BTW sometimes the lack of bass on the DJ100 for some is due to not getting a proper seal with the default pads. If your ears stick out even a little it can effect the sound quality.

So anyway, not sure if you're using them with an amp or not. If not, I would try one or connect them up to a good receiver if possible.

Quote:
 T
I just got some DJ100's at best buy yesterday. I also have the MT50's and have been throurougly enjoying them for the last couple months. To ME, the MT50's sound way better overall. The base is nice, tight and accurate... the DJ100's are definitely lacking in that. The highs are also a lot more pronounced on the MT50's. To ME,, the DJ100's sound like a cheaper,. generic headphone. No bass, no highs, but LOTS of mids. The reason I got them is for my wife. She doesnt care about all that, but she does like the fact that they're lighter and somewhat more confy to wear over long periods of time. If I were to compare the sound of the DJ100... they sound like the Denon 1001's I tried a couple weeks back. Bottom line is.. the MT50s are better headphones all around and WELL worth they price. The DJ100's are for mid lovers.. and I'm not one of those people :) Sound isolation is also much better with the MT50s.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #33 of 83
You're right.. I do not use them with an amp. I use them with my laptop... a Dell XPS 1645. The M50's sound phenomenal with it. Overall the headphones are worth the 60 bucks I paid for them, but mostly due to the build quality and comfort. I haven't used them with a receiver yet.. I'll try that tonight and see what happens. I did try my receiver with the AT's and they sounded great, but the level of background noise with the receiver bothered me enough not to use it all the time...

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #34 of 83
Yeah, it's worth trying the DJ100 out with your receiver, but not everyone will like the DJ100. I love my forward sounding mids, so the DJ100 is perfect for me. It's been my most used pair of headphones for nearly a year. The DJ100 definitely doesn't have the bass quantity of the M50. I always liked the M50, but I was never a huge fan of it, but most people seem to love it. It all really comes down to preferences I guess.

For those that don't want to deal with having to get an amp I'd almost always suggest the M50, SRH-840 or SRH-440 over the DJ100. I don't know why this is, but I never have much luck with finding good portable headphones under $200. I think I've only come across 4 that I really like
confused_face%281%29.gif

Quote:
You're right.. I do not use them with an amp. I use them with my laptop... a Dell XPS 1645. The M50's sound phenomenal with it. Overall the headphones are worth the 60 bucks I paid for them, but mostly due to the build quality and comfort. I haven't used them with a receiver yet.. I'll try that tonight and see what happens. I did try my receiver with the AT's and they sounded great, but the level of background noise with the receiver bothered me enough not to use it all the time...

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 83
 Well I'm going to have to eat my words. The DJ100 sound GREAT when amped a bit.

I got my FiiO E5 today and have been testing it out with my usual set.. the AT M50s. It makes them sound even better, of course. They sound great out of the laptop with the E5 in series, and so so out of my Android phone. Got home  and plugged in the DJ100s though and boy do they sound different wen amped with the E5. I'm afraid to say I almost prefer the sound of the DJ100 now over the overkill bass of the M50s! LOL  In my opinion the DJ100s are more "clear" than the M50s when amped. The mids and highs are more forward and the bass is just enough now. So In my opinion, if you get the DJ100... amp them for sure! Even with the cheapo E5... it definitely changes they way  they sound. They need the power to shine!

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #36 of 83

I got my FiiO E5 today and have been testing it out with my usual set.. the AT M50s. It makes them sound even better, of course. They sound great out of the laptop with the E5 in series, and so so out of my Android phone. Got home  and plugged in the DJ100s though and boy do they sound different wen amped with the E5. I'm afraid to say I almost prefer the sound of the DJ100 now over the overkill bass of the M50s! LOL  In my opinion the DJ100s are more "clear" than the M50s when amped. The mids and highs are more forward and the bass is just enough now. So In my opinion, if you get the DJ100... amp them for sure! Even with the cheapo E5... it definitely changes they way  they sound. They need the power to shine!

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #37 of 83

Glad to know you gave them a second chance and like them. I always hate suggesting them without an amp and I never do. As much as I'd love to suggest them more often, I don't because they're probably half as good without an amp. Or close to that. Ok, maybe not THAT bad! Who would have thought that a 38 ohm (whatever it is) headphone would need an amp to sound great?!

The M50 may do many things better than the DJ100, but the DJ100 is better for those that love slightly forward sounding mids or especially female vocals. I imagine bassheads would prefer the M50 by far. M50 is definitely a good headphone and I don't mind suggesting that for those that don't want to bother with an amp. The DJ100 isn't for everyone though. I think it's probably not a good match for metal.

BTW if you ever want to upgrade the pads, I suggest the MDR-V6 pads. They're cheap and make them even more comfortable. I got mine from Amazon for under $16 shipped.

I'm not sure if you do any gaming, but I've found them quite good for those where a closed headphone is required. The imaging and soundstage is quite good for a closed headphone I've found.

Quote:

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #38 of 83

Quote:
Glad to know you gave them a second chance and like them. I always hate suggesting them without an amp and I never do. As much as I'd love to suggest them more often, I don't because they're probably half as good without an amp. Or close to that. Ok, maybe not THAT bad! Who would have thought that a 38 ohm (whatever it is) headphone would need an amp to sound great?!

The M50 may do many things better than the DJ100, but the DJ100 is better for those that love slightly forward sounding mids or especially female vocals. I imagine bassheads would prefer the M50 by far. M50 is definitely a good headphone and I don't mind suggesting that for those that don't want to bother with an amp. The DJ100 isn't for everyone though. I think it's probably not a good match for metal.

BTW if you ever want to upgrade the pads, I suggest the MDR-V6 pads. They're cheap and make them even more comfortable. I got mine from Amazon for under $16 shipped.

I'm not sure if you do any gaming, but I've found them quite good for those where a closed headphone is required. The imaging and soundstage is quite good for a closed headphone I've found.

Well to be honest, I've been wearing them a lot lately while I play Quake Live. They're far more comfortable for me to wear over longer periods of time. I listed to a lot of old school techno and trance music, so I throw on my M50s for that of course :) But for gaming, or any other kind of music... the DJ100s are my main choice now. I"m glad I decided to keep them. I'l try the V6 pads as you suggested. I did notice the pads aren't as cushy as the M50s...

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #39 of 83
I think I found the solution to the slightly recessed high treble. When you wear your DJ 100, hold both cups with your hands and push them forward so that the back your ear is touching the earpads. The highs sound better like that, I can definitely hear a difference. Of course you won't get TF10's quantity of highs, but it's a pretty big improvement IMO.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #40 of 83
Been listening to the DJ100s with the E5 all day and I must say they sound amazing! The highs are definitely more there than the M50s and the bass is just right! Get the DJ100 and the E5 and you wont be dissapointed :)

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 83
Anyone looking for ROUND (not oval) velour pads for the DJ100?

The other day I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009W430

It's the Jwin JHV-800 Open headphone and it only cost me $23 with free shipping. I originally bought it to see if it could be used as a shell, but no such luck.
It has velour pads and they fit the DJ100. The only negative is that the pads will be OPEN exposing the driver so some type of foam or speaker fabric may be needed.
I don't know how it makes them sound, but I can confirm they fit..as do the Pearstone Velour pads, but those are oval.

If the DJ100 ever goes on sale again I'm going to get another pair just to try these pads. Mine is in another shell and I love it!

BTW the Jwin JHV-800 is quite good for only $23. Wow, especially the soundstage! They're supra-aural though, but the pads are circumaural on the DJ100.
The reason they rest on the ears is how the driver on the Jwin sticks really far out.

I can't say it sounds like an $80 headphone, but the JHV-800 isn't horrible for $20. For those that need a dirt cheap gaming headphone it may be quite decent.

So here's a list of pads that fit:

JVC RX300 pads (angled, but not very comfortable. Better than stock. Mids are not quite as forward though. Minor difference.
Shure SRH-240 (90% sure these fit. Add these to the washing machine with fabric softener and they get super soft.
Pearstone Velour (hot after many hours)
Sony MDR-V6 pads (I like these the most)
Audio Technica ATH-M30 pads

I believe the SRH-840 pads fit. I imagine the SRH-940 pads will fit as well? I don't remember liking how the SRH-840 pads made them sound.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 83

Quote:
Been listening to the DJ100s with the E5 all day and I must say they sound amazing! The highs are definitely more there than the M50s and the bass is just right! Get the DJ100 and the E5 and you wont be dissapointed :)

Your DJ100 has more highs than the M50?  Not sure about that, M50 should be brighter actually.  Upper mids definitely, that's where the M50 dips.

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #43 of 83
I actually think the DJ100s are what I've been looking for! I have DT880 and the M50 and I find that vocals just don't stand out on them. Even the M50 is better at it then the DT880 with vocals in my opinion. I listen to mostly female vocals like taylor swift, avril lavigne and pop and canto pop.

For the price I think it's worth a try so I've ordered a set today. They're actually really hard to find outside of the US.

I've also been looking at the Shure 840, shure 940, ATH-L3000 or the Foxtex T50RP to get more mids/vocals. I'm using a Fiio E7/E9 ... how would you compare these to the Pro DJ100s ?

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #44 of 83

Quote:
I actually think the DJ100s are what I've been looking for! I have DT880 and the M50 and I find that vocals just don't stand out on them. Even the M50 is better at it then the DT880 with vocals in my opinion. I listen to mostly female vocals like taylor swift, avril lavigne and pop and canto pop.

For the price I think it's worth a try so I've ordered a set today. They're actually really hard to find outside of the US.

I've also been looking at the Shure 840, shure 940, ATH-L3000 or the Foxtex T50RP to get more mids/vocals. I'm using a Fiio E7/E9 ... how would you compare these to the Pro DJ100s ?

For female vocals (especially asian pop), the DJ100 is perfect. I always felt it was one of the best for this under $200 that's closed. I actually bought a pair of SRH-840 just to compare them to my old KRK KNS-8400 and DJ100 and the SRH-840 lost out. I always felt SRH-840 sounded great, but didn't really find out it's weaknesses until I compared it to these. The SRH-840 is still a good headphone though.

Based on memory, I believe the SRH-840 has more treble and perhaps more forward upper mids and lower treble. Strangely, most female vocals are still much better on the DJ100. The DJ100 when well amped also has more bass than the SRH-840 I think, but maybe less mid-bass? DJ100 has more forward mids, but not upper mids. I'm not 100% sure on this.

The T50RP is probably better than the DJ100, but I have no clue. My pair had to be perhaps the only unmoddable pair on earth. I wasted hours and hours on mine with zero luck. Guess where they are now? In a landfill somewhere. I probably had a lemon. I had short glimpses of what they might sound like, but I never got there.

Sometime I'd love to compare the SRH-940 to the DJ100. I imagine they're totally different, but SRH-940 may be good for female vocals. It's price has kept me away a bit and I'm trying to stop buying closed headphones when I can.

The only thing similar in some ways I've found is the HD-598 or ATH-AD2000. They have some similarities. I have a feeling that many people who like the HD-598 might like the DJ100. The DJ100 is a little less polite and more aggressive with it's signature. DJ100 has the more forward mids and a smaller soundstage of course, but more bass.Without a recable, my HD-598 didn't feel all that much better than my DJ100, but I used it as an open alternative. With a recable the sound of my HD-598 cleared up a lot. For an $80 headphone, the DJ100 sure the heck sounded quite clear, which is very surprising!

I'm waiting for the DJ100 to go back on sale. My pair is modded so much that it's just not the same, but still good. Last year they dropped to $50 on sale, but I don't know if that'll happen again. I hope so!

I've still not found a DJ100 killer that's under $200. The KRK KNS-6400 has come close though and it's much easier to drive. I hope sometime I'll find another headphone that uses the DJ100 driver, but haven't heard any DJ100 clones yet.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #45 of 83
I can't wait to try them now ... thanks so much for the detailed analysis.
I will definitely report back after I have a good listen to them.

Just ordered a set of V6 pads too like you recommended.... you should be a salesman cos I bet you're making a lot of people buy these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back