Just got koss pro dj100 and it's great!
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

benny

New Head-Fier
i just got koss pro dj100(bestbuy on sale 49,99) and it sounds awsome!

i was suprised that bass is very thight(wich i like) wich is unusual for dj model

and it's well made and look great also..

downside is no case included and it's hard to drive thru directly from portable source so you need an amp.

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 83
Wow, $49.99 for those? I drove a total of 2 hours (1 hour each way) just for mine at $80 a month or so ago. That's really a steal I think considering the UR-55 from Koss are $50 at the regular price. Both of these have recently turned me into a Koss fanboy it seems. I wasn't even a fan with the Porta Pros to begin with.

I try hard not to like them, really I do. I want to like my M50s and other headphones more, but I keep coming back to my DJ 100 headphones because I love them so much. To me, they're one of those cheap headphones you find that are so good, but nobody else in the world seems to know about.

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one that likes the bass. It's disappointing to me that they don't sound the best straight out of an Ipod Touch. That's the whole reason I got them. I use mine with a Total Airhead and with my NuForce Mobile and E5 they just don't sound nearly as good for some reason.

I actually tore mine apart today just to check the driver on them. I should have taken a picture, but I have no clue if it's the same one as on any other Koss headphones. I want to try to upgrade the pads on mine. I think there is a chance some Ultrasone replacement pads might work.

Hopefully someone else can try this out with a good amp and report back. I know of a few people already that didn't seem to like them I guess. I actually even like the sound signature over the M50 and SRH-840. To me they almost feel like a cheaper version of the DT-880 with a lot less detail. As i've said before, some kind of weird combination of an HD-600 and a more toned down version of the DT-880.

I also tried these out for gaming and they worked extremely well. The soundstage and instrument separation is so good on these for such a cheap headphone. These should NOT be $50!

It's just too bad that most of the buyers may be a bit disappointed when using them without an amp. 38 ohm and really need an amp to sound great. I never experienced that before with any other headphone.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 83
I told you they would drop to $50-$60.  Which Ultrasone pads were you eyeing?  None of mine would fit.  My 580 is using a 50mm driver though.  The amp didn't really improve them for some of us so YMMV.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 83
No particular model of Ultrasone pad yet. It just looked like they might fit since the Beyer pads are much too big. I'm trying to find some headphones that look like the earpads might work with the DJ 100. The DJ 100 pads don't bother me at all, but I'd love it if they were more comfy like the Beyer pads and maybe slightly higher quality.Ultrasone pads are $35 so it's not worth it I guess just for me to check.

It's too bad so few Best Buy's carry the DJ100. I don't think Best Buy will drop the price to $60 for good, probably just for a week or so.

Jr in NYC has them for $80 too, so i'm glad it's not a Best Buy exclusive. Koss told me the UR-55 was, but maybe only for the first few months.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 83
Very intriguing, all these glowing reviews. I hope it's not just FOTM hype. I really want a pair of portable closed headphones. Never liked taking my Shures anywhere as I'm afraid something will happen to them. PX100s are great but it feels like i have to crank up the volume just to drown people out, thus making my tinnitus worse, lol. Do they at least sound decent straight out of an iPod?

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 83

Quote:
Very intriguing, all these glowing reviews. I hope it's not just FOTM hype. I really want a pair of portable closed headphones. Never liked taking my Shures anywhere as I'm afraid something will happen to them. PX100s are great but it feels like i have to crank up the volume just to drown people out, thus making my tinnitus worse, lol. Do they at least sound decent straight out of an iPod?

Well, sometimes I feel as if i'm the only one here thinking they're something special. Definitely not FOTM for sure since I haven't seen a lot of reviews for them yet sadly. I hope more people check into them. To me, they sound OK out of an Ipod, but I don't suggest them without an amp I hate to say (not even with the E5). They still may be worth trying. Especially for the crazy $50 price tag. For portables I suggest the UR-55 instead. When I use my DJ 100 out of my Airhead, they sound way better, like a HUGE increase in sound quality which is strange. I think from what i've heard from a lot of people, they will lack bass straight from an Ipod. These things have a lot of bass to me, so everytime I hear they don't, I wonder if something is wrong with my ears. People who love the bass out of say the M50 may be disappointed though.

I still can't get over how good the instrument separation is. Haven't experienced anything like that since my DT-880. Sometimes I feel as if i'm wearing some silly surround sound headphones. If it wasn't for the coiled cord these would be perfect for gaming too, despite them being closed. Not as detailed as the AD700, but maybe close.

BTW I guess the UR-55 are closed. I'm not really sure on this. I thought they were semi-open, but I read a review recently claiming they were closed. I guess they may feel like open headphones due to the foam.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 83
^Trying the UR-55 at B-Buy, they are definitely open... holding my ear to the outer mesh I can clearly head sound leaking out, similar to my open PortaPro.

Anyone have nay word on the construction of the Koss PRO DJ100? It looks like some of it may be brushed metal from the pictures, but what about the band and hangers? Someone mind uploading some pics, google doesen't have many to offer!

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 83

Quote:
^Trying the UR-55 at B-Buy, they are definitely open... holding my ear to the outer mesh I can clearly head sound leaking out, similar to my open PortaPro.

Anyone have nay word on the construction of the Koss PRO DJ100? It looks like some of it may be brushed metal from the pictures, but what about the band and hangers? Someone mind uploading some pics, google doesen't have many to offer!

The cups and knurled swivels are aluminum.  Nothing else is worth noting.  Sadly the aluminum cups are lined with plastic inside.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 83

Quote:
 Someone mind uploading some pics, google doesen't have many to offer!

If you do a search on these headphones you can find my previous post on the UR-55 and DJ Pro 100. In that thread i've posted a picture of them. It's not a very good one, but it may give you some idea of the build quality. I find the quality is good for an $80 headphone. The pads do look a bit cheap, but it's not a big deal for me. It'd make my day if I could ever find another pad that would work with them.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 83

Quote:
Better than the M50? Whoa, that's really something. 

Can somebody offer a thorough, but brief outline of these cans? 

Well, most people wouldn't say better. It just depends on what music a person prefers. This is also with a good amp. Without an amp, the M50 would probably kill the DJ 100. I refuse to now use them without one. The fit and comfort is also way better to me and they're much lighter. I've also found they're a bad match with the Nuforce mobile and E5.

I listen to a lot a lot of female singers, so I find they do vocals much better for my type of music. Vocals on the M50 have always disappointed me. Sometimes they're harder to hear and it's not my source. Nobody can convince me that the bass on the M50 is natural and it ruins some music. To me, the soundstage and instrument separation are one of the biggest reasons I prefer it and them having a bit less bass helps. I still believe they have a lot of bass, but some would probably disagree. I love the bass on the Pro DJ 100 and you definitely FEEL it. Maybe these things are not as important to some people. I just find it fits into my preferred sound signature in every way. Of course the M50s are still great headphones, but way overrated. Hard to complain about them when they're only $100 though. The only other thing close to that in terms of sound quality is the SRH-840 and that's hard to find for under $150 now it seems. A few weeks ago I couldn't find anyone selling them online for under $190?! The SRH-840 sounds better to my ears, but I don't find them as neutral as people say they are.

You said brief review, but I did a somewhat long winded mini-review of the Pro DJ 100 in an older thread found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502718/koss-pro-dj100-and-ur-55-impressions-vs-m50

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 83
Thanks, friend, for this thorough reply! 

I agree, these vocals deserve more attention when it comes to the M50. Thank god for you saying they're overrated, I knew someone would and it was anxious waiting. Fill definitely look into these phones. 

EDIT: Not that I agree with the notion they are overrated. It was just painful waiting, because there was so much hype, it seemed likely people would get annoyed. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 83

Quote:
Thanks, friend, for this thorough reply! 

I agree, these vocals deserve more attention when it comes to the M50. Thank god for you saying they're overrated, I knew someone would and it was anxious waiting. Fill definitely look into these phones. 

Enjoy your DJ100s.  Many of us like our overrated M50's a lot more.  Best Buy should have a decent amount of open box DJ100s by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back