Just got koss pro dj100 and it's great!
Aug 22, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 83

Quote:
Enjoy your DJ100s.  Many of us like our overrated M50's a lot more.  Best Buy should have a decent amount of open box DJ100s by now.

Did some negative comments of the M50 touch a nerve or something? Not everyone is going to like the M50s you know. They're not the world's most perfect headphone, despite what everyone in the world seems to think.
I doubt Best Buy will have many open boxes of the DJ100s. You can't even find them yet at most locations. They're also just now starting to appear online.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I've only seen two people that have actually tried both the Pro DJ 100 and M50.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 83
My touched nerve comes from the few DJ100 followers you have garnered that have not heard any other good headphones and take your word on the M50s sound which is quite different from others around here.  Not to mention you only attained this 'special' sound w/ a specific amp.  Said amp was also used to duplicate what you heard by another forum member here and they did not get the sound you are getting.  I'm glad you get the sound you want from the DJ100.  I'm not glad that members w/ like 5 posts are drinking your koolaid against the competition w/o doing any further research.  I'm pretty sure there are at least 3 if not 4 members that were underwhelmed by the DJ100.  

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #18 of 83

Quote:
My touched nerve comes from the few DJ100 followers you have garnered that have not heard any other good headphones and take your word on the M50s sound which is quite different from others around here.  Not to mention you only attained this 'special' sound w/ a specific amp.  Said amp was also used to duplicate what you heard by another forum member here and they did not get the sound you are getting.  I'm glad you get the sound you want from the DJ100.  I'm not glad that members w/ like 5 posts are drinking your koolaid against the competition w/o doing any further research.  I'm pretty sure there are at least 3 if not 4 members that were underwhelmed by the DJ100.  

You should really stop assuming things about people you don't really know. You really have no idea what people have tried and seriously, why assume people have not done their research? Do you always assume everyone with a low post count is an idiot?  As you may not have noticed, one poster has the M50s and hasn't even tried the DJ 100 yet. Unlike most, I'm not afraid to say negative things about some of my favorite headphones. I don't know if you have this problem, but it seems like it and I understand completely. I'm not even going to comment on your ridiculous Kool-aid comment. A whole two people like a headphone that is not the M50 and I get comments like this. Nobody here is saying the M50s are bad headphones. I only mentioned I prefer the DJ 100 over the M50. It's also funny, because I'm not aware of more then a few people even trying the DJ 100. I'm still waiting for more reviews from people who can give it a fair review, which nobody has really done yet. So far i've only come across 2 people that haven't like the DJ 100. Doesn't make one difference to me. I only reply to comments about these headphones because of how I like them so much and very few people have tried them. I prefer them to my M50 and i'm not afraid to tell people this. I still recommend the M50s whenever I can. They're good headphones.

This 'special sound' I got was from a good amp. The E5 and NuForce mobile are not good amps. I'm sorry, but you only used the E5 with the DJ 100, so you can't fairly judge them. If I remember right, you just said that they could not be that power hungry. Well, they are, despite the 38 ohm rating. One person had a good amp to try them out and just assumed that they wouldn't help and didn't even test them out with it! I'm not willing to trust any reviews of this particular headphone without something other then a $20 amp, not even the Nuforce Mobile. I could hook them up to another good amp or even a good receiver and probably get similar results.

Well, this post is a waste of time. Not even worth arguing about headphones, so I won't reply to any more comments.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 83
Its always nice to build straw men.

You stated the $98 M50s are overrated.  A junior member w/ like 5 posts and no experience w/ any headphones agreed and you let them run w/ it all the way to Best Buy.  Yes, of all the people that have heard the DJ100 and M50 you are the only one that prefers them or hears them the way you do.  Bass you can 'FEEL'?  You must be joking.  I hope everyone enjoys them as much as you do.  As much as myself and others tried, we didn't.  Sucks for us.  I'd love a $60 headphone thats sounds as good as you say it does in that form factor, just wasn't the case.

Cheers. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A junior member w/ like 5 posts and no experience w/ any headphones agreed and you let them run w/ it all the way to Best Buy. 

Hey silly, this person has the M50 in case you didn't realize it! He's posted elsewhere.
Again, don't assume everything...

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 83
Could you describe the music you tried on these cans ? I heard you saying the mids were good, Female vocals? How about male vocals, guitar and the highs ? Also if you were to describe it how would you describe the highs ?

I realize responding to these questions is like a full review but hopefully you can respond without too many words.

For what its worth my M50's sound muddy to me in the mids and highs, not to say I dont enjoy them. 

I went to Bestbuy to hear the Koss but they did not have it in stock.
Thanks

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 83
Oh. Sorry for the confusion. When I made my comment, it was not a direct comparison between the DJ100s and the M50, just my observation about the mids/vocals. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 83

Quote:
Could you describe the music you tried on these cans ? I heard you saying the mids were good, Female vocals? How about male vocals, guitar and the highs ? Also if you were to describe it how would you describe the highs ?

I realize responding to these questions is like a full review but hopefully you can respond without too many words.

For what its worth my M50's sound muddy to me in the mids and highs, not to say I dont enjoy them. 

I went to Bestbuy to hear the Koss but they did not have it in stock.
Thanks

I basically listen to a variety of music. I'd say that my favorites are two female singers from Japan. I even listen to some Jpop and other foreign music. Even Cantopop when I can stand it. I also love Pearl Jam, Radiohead, some Classical and have quite a few movie soundtracks. Some pop and electronica, but not much yet. I don't listen to any classic rock, Heavy Metal or Rap. I actually did buy Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon" just for these headphones. I even bought a "Massive Attack" album just to test out the bass and soundstage. I'd like to listen to some rap, but probably will skip it for awhile. I'm not willing to try Country music...yet.

Male vocals are easy to hear and clear. Guitars sound natural just like on my HD-600. To my ears, the HD-600 seems to provide the most natural guitars out of any headphone I've tried. Even more so then the AKG 701. I think there is a slight bump in the mid-range, but I'm not sure. Not quite as much as the SRH-840 though. Basically vocals are the most important feature to me in a headphone. I like them to be forward and crystal clear.

I pointed out in another thread that I really dislike harsh highs. That can ruin a headphone for me. Luckily the M50 doesn't doesn't have this issue and the M50s will never fatigue my ears ever, just like my DJ 100's. I guess maybe some would say the highs are slightly rolled off like on the HD-600 (not as much as on the HD-650 though). This doesn't bother me. The DJ 100 is one headphone that could never ever be described as "harsh" in any way. I must be too sensitive to harsh highs more then most people. I even felt the SRH-840  had slightly harsh highs and it doesn't seem to bother most people!

They do have some similarities to the the M50. I think to me they are far more detailed then the M50 but with a lot less bass. Seriously if I would put down on paper all four weaknesses of the M50  the DJ 100 corrects them. At least to my ears. The design just works better for me.

So here is what I wanted basically:

A slightly lighter and smaller headphone, More forward vocals, slightly more detail without being too harsh. Less bass that is more accurate. Better soundstage and instrument separation. On my M50s the soundstage sounds like one big blob.

So to me, the DJ 100 improved on some of the M50's weaknesses. Sorry, but it's true. Don't take my word for it I guess. Best to try out both with an amp and compare them. Don't buy them without a good amp or you may hate them! Even a good receiver might be enough!

I hope someday more people try these for gaming. They'd be PERFECT. Not as detailed as the AD700, but remove the coiled cord and they'd be perfect despite the closed design. The level of detail is a step below the DT-880 and AD700. It's not too much where it gets annoying. The level of detail on the DT-880 is too much for me sometimes. The soundstage and instrument separation of the DJ 100 reminds me of of the DT-880 more then any other headphone and i'm not sure why. You get this weird 3D surround sound effect at times and I've only experienced this on the DT-880. I wish I could describe it better.

The DJ 100 isn't perfect. I HATE the coiled cable and the cheap pads. It'd be nice to find a pad that's higher quality. It also stinks that I can't get good results straight out of my Ipod Touch. That's the whole reason I bought them.

It all comes down to what you look for in a headphone and the sound signature you like. Not everyone is going to like these.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #25 of 83

Quote:
What, in your experience is the headphone that best replicates vocals, clearly and accurately? 

For me it's the SRH-840 and then the HD-600. For an IEM I think the Triple Fi 10 despite what people may say. I haven't tried the Audio Technica ATH-ESW10 yet though. That headphone might be something i'd like.
Isn't that the headphone that seems to be the best for female vocals? I think I read that from many people. It seems a bit hard to find and I wonder how similar the ESW9 is.
I haven't felt like trying anything else at all, but the ESW10 sounds interesting. I hate to say it, but the ESW10 looks like it'd break too easily.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 83
Today, I became interested after reading several threads about the DJ100, so I ordered one for in-store pickup at a Best Buy 40 minutes from my university and excitedly drove to pick them up. Upon my first listen (source: Zune HD-->E5), I noted the prominent midrange that was sometimes missing when I listened to my M50's. As I sit and listen to them back at my dorm now, I am enjoying listening to acoustic guitar and flute songs (Johannes Linstead's "Kiss the Earth," if anyone is interested). It sounds good to my ear plugged directly into my laptop, but I believe there is some quality (and bass) that could still be gained from a dedicated headphone amp, which brings me to my question: would the PA2V2 be a well-matched and sufficient amp to drive these headphones?

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #27 of 83

Quote:
Today, I became interested after reading several threads about the DJ100, so I ordered one for in-store pickup at a Best Buy 40 minutes from my university and excitedly drove to pick them up. Upon my first listen (source: Zune HD-->E5), I noted the prominent midrange that was sometimes missing when I listened to my M50's. As I sit and listen to them back at my dorm now, I am enjoying listening to acoustic guitar and flute songs (Johannes Linstead's "Kiss the Earth," if anyone is interested). It sounds good to my ear plugged directly into my laptop, but I believe there is some quality (and bass) that could still be gained from a dedicated headphone amp, which brings me to my question: would the PA2V2 be a well-matched and sufficient amp to drive these headphones?

I haven't heard that amp myself, but it should be good. I use mine with a Total Airhead and for whatever reason it seems like a perfect match. I still need to try them out of my receiver although a headphone jack isn't always a good idea I guess. I can almost guarantee that the bass will increase with a better amp. Straight out of my E5 and Ipod Touch there is a definite lack of bass. I haven't tried the bass boost on the E5 yet though. I'm really not a fan of that amp at all or even my Nuforce mobile.

I still don't know why these sound so much better with a good amp. I thought at first maybe it was just my imagination, but after lots of testing, it's definitely not. A 38 ohm headphone should definitely sound better then it does straight out of an Ipod. The only time I experienced this was with the AKG 240 MK II. My Ipod touch could barely getting those to adequate volume levels without an amp. Those are 55 ohm though. Straight from an Ipod the DJ 100 has enough volume, but something just feels missing. Before I noticed this with the DJ 100 I wasn't a real believer that portable amps really helped all that much with lower OHM rated portable headphones. Now I think they may even make my KSC75 sound a tad bit better, but of course it's much harder to notice.

EDIT: BTW I was listening to my Grado SR-80 today and they almost sound similar to the Pro DJ 100! The DJ 100 has more bass though and no fatiguing highs. The SR-80 was one of my first decent headphones and I could never get used to the poor comfort and fit. It also seems that the DJ 100 is a perfect match for Pearl Jam's "TEN" for some reason. The Grado headphones still sound good, but I can't listen to them for long. It's too bad I lost my Porta Pro's, I really want to listen to them again. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #28 of 83
Anyone able to listen to these with something besides an iPod? I have a Cowon S9, and highly doubt it will need an amp to power the DJ100. I hope to get these in September, though not if they truly need an amp.

Any listening done with different brands of DAPs would be much appreciated!

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 83
I just got back from getting these at Best Buy for $50 and I have to say that I am impressed. While I don't have a lot of "headphone" experiance I have listened to some decent "IEM's". The bass is not like my M9's but it is there and it is very tight. Since I am at work all I got to push them is my E5 and while the amp is not the best it makes them plenty loud and clear. An added enjoyment is the build quality. I was somewhat concerned about this because I have always felt that the Porta Pros were/are flimsy. So for fifty bucks I am pleased with what I got.

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 83
That is an awesome line!  I actually laughed right out loud when I read it. 

All kidding aside though, I can't speak for Best Buy having open box returns on these, but for the past 2 weeks I have been checking the best buy website for the 6 local stores here and only 1 has had any in stock.  Either shipping is very slow, or they are moving these out the door at a quick pace.

None of the Best Buy's have the PP in stock.  That's been a while.  I wonder if they discontinued?

Quote:
Enjoy your DJ100s.  Many of us like our overrated M50's a lot more.  Best Buy should have a decent amount of open box DJ100s by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back