JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #31 of 1,931
  What needs to happen is a synergy of DAP and IEM - coming from the same manufacturer - so that you have a 3-way system eschewing crossovers comprised of resistors and caps - but 6 thinner wires for each side - positive and negative for each of three signals - and have the frequency splitting done electronically onboard the DAP - you could even have switchable crossover points - and each positive/negative pair of wires could feasibly supply signal to one BA driver, 2 drivers, 4 drivers, etc - without the freaky phase issues. My experience in home and mobile audio has taught me that an electronic crossover (powered)  is vastly superior to passive (unpowered) crossovers - THAT would be worth $5-$10K. 

**Patent Pending**

That's what the JH-3A was originally supposed to be. As I understand it, Jerry filed the patent application before selling UE to Logitech, and when the application was successful UE ended up owning the patent, thus being able to prevent JH from making it. UE is now permanently sitting on the patent.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #32 of 1,931
After taking close to a year to deliver my Roxannes, who Jerry said would be the flagship of the Siren Series (he clearly said it repeatedly, because he knew no one would buy it otherwise) the flagship is replaced by another more expensive one.

I personally feel cheated by Jerry Harvey. Plus this new flagship comes at an incredible price. No wonder they partner with AK....both brands seems seem to consider they customer in the same manner. Gullible walking wallets.

And of course Jude spends the video telling how the Layla is different in a better way and more versatile...so anyone who wants the best must have it.

How it feels nice to be a Roxanne owner / head-fi member right now.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #33 of 1,931
After taking close to a year to deliver my Roxannes, who Jerry said would be the flagship of the Siren Series (he clearly said it repeatedly, because he knew no one would buy it otherwise) the flagship is replaced by another more expensive one.

I personally feel cheated by Jerry Harvey. Plus this new flagship comes at an incredible price. No wonder they partner with AK....both brands seems seem to consider they customer in the same manner. Gullible walking wallets.

Never trust corporations. They'll just tell you that the Roxannes was the flagship, so they did not lie.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #35 of 1,931
I am not stupid...I just expected, wrongly, a little bit more respect towards the Roxanne owners after all Jerry put them through.

Yeah, that definitely sucks. 
frown.gif
 Such is the game with CIEMs though. New releases seem to come at a faster pace in comparison to universals.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 1,931
I think I'll hold out for when he can put 36 drivers in each.  Probably be headphone size by then.  

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #37 of 1,931

And of course Jude spends the video telling how the Layla is different in a better way and more versatile...so anyone who wants the best must have it.

How it feels nice to be a Roxanne owner / head-fi member right now.

Well isn't that normal? He/they have to earn their dough :p

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #38 of 1,931

Yeah, that definitely sucks. 
frown.gif
 Such is the game with CIEMs though. New releases seem to come at a faster pace in comparison to universals.

I recall JH stated that the Siren Series would eventually comprise 7 different models and that the Roxanne was slated to be the flagship of the series.  

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #39 of 1,931
If both the Roxanne and Layla are quad-low, quad-mid, quad-high - where's the justification for a hike of at least 1000 Dollars?
What is the BIG difference between the two?

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #41 of 1,931
If both the Roxanne and Layla are quad-low, quad-mid, quad-high - where's the justification for a hike of at least 1000 Dollars?
Somehow I'd guess new drivers would require some R&D & prototyping? I'm guessing.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #42 of 1,931

Margin.

And I'm very surprised that within Siren Series the universal fit model is much more expensive than the custom, flagship model ie Roxanne.

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #43 of 1,931
Somehow I'd guess new drivers would require some R&D & prototyping? I'm guessing.

The Roxannes required R&D as well, and that included designing a 12 driver system from the ground up, yet the MSRP is $1000 less. You can only justify a price to a certain point before people start asking questions. I worked for a luxury swim suit company that sold bathing suits that cost $1000. People actually bought them, but when they debuted bathing suits with bits of 14K gold on the tips and asked $5000 for them, even the regulars laughed. JH's price jump isn't as big, but still questionable. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #45 of 1,931
FAD is more about luxury and bling bling designs. I've heard IEMs that cost 1/2 price that sounds as good if not better. I'm sure my statement will draw in all the defensive hordes of FADnatics :p

Ouch... lol I would say quarter of the price though. However, I do love the FI-BA-SS. Its clarity is so great, it's like Stax of in-ears to me(something special basically :p).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back