JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #47 of 1,931
I'm reading this thread and just shaking my head. Can't believe people would pay such a premium for the "new" top of the heap. So, whats next, an uber Roxanne for $10K?
I love my music and good sound but find these sort of prices just insane. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #48 of 1,931
R&D doesn't justify the hike.
As someone else said, the Roxanne's were built from the ground up at much less RRP. A large part of the R&D has probably already been done with the development of the Roxanne's.

Like JH say "Custom in Ear Monitors Worn by Rockstars" (as they are the only ones that can afford them)

I'll stick with my JH13 I think .....although Angie intrigues me... and its a bit more sensibly priced.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #49 of 1,931
This hobby is simple, if there's a market for it companies will build it (regardless of price). Astell & Kern have proven this already with their AK240 player. There are enthusiasts out there who have tried every high end (C)IEM on the market, walking in limbo through a desert with no place left to go, money really no obstacle for them. Then, all of sudden a vial of water is dangled in front of them (cue JH new flagship) and being so thirsty they drink it. This pattern just repeats itself over and over.

Goodluck to JH but I think I'll pass.. 
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #50 of 1,931
They could charge $5000 for the Layla people would buy. And since most would be made to order there isnt a large amount of overhead. I would never pay $2500 for a different sound signature.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #51 of 1,931
They could charge $5000 for the Layla people would buy. And since most would be made to order there isnt a large amount of overhead. I would never pay $2500 for a different sound signature.

Of course someone will be willing to buy it, but the question is how many? People are willing to spend big bucks on goods, but the more money you ask, the more questions people will start asking. Why is it worth an extra $1000? What improvements have been made? How much work was actually done to produce this new model? Why was this new model released so soon? Didn't I just pay $1600 for what was the best model less than a year ago? These questions will be asked, not just with earphones, but any expensive goods. I've seen it first hand. The more a person questions their purchase, the less likely they'll commit to purchasing. It's already apparent on the forums that people are not the happiest with this release. Very few people spend their money blindly, and that includes the affluent. Besides, it doesn't always come down to how much, it also comes down to when and why? People want to know where their money is going, and I frankly don't know. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #52 of 1,931

Im hoping for a Lou Reed song next ..the Stephanie (from Stephanie Says by Velvet Underground) 

it should be just the title

one other good option is 'Tara' (by Roxy Music)

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #53 of 1,931
  Of course someone will be willing to buy it, but the question is how many? People are willing to spend big bucks on goods, but the more money you ask, the more questions people will start asking. Why is it worth an extra $1000? What improvements have been made? How much work was actually done to produce this new model? Why was this new model released so soon? Didn't I just pay $1600 for what was the best model less than a year ago? These questions will be asked, not just with earphones, but any expensive goods. I've seen it first hand. The more a person questions their purchase, the less likely they'll commit to purchasing. It's already apparent on the forums that people are not the happiest with this release. Very few people spend their money blindly, and that includes the affluent.

+1

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #54 of 1,931
Final Audio Design makes a $3.5K earbud :p

But that's due to exotic materials. 2.5k for an IEM is nonsensical to me. And as other people stated, why the huge jump from the Roxanne's which WAS SUPPOSE to be the flagship?

EDIT: As acain says below, the Layla is targeted at sound engineers but I can tell you that MOST sound engineers don't spend 2.5k on headphones. In fact, they do just the opposite in order to understand what the source material will sound like on low-to-mid tier sound systems. Sure, their reference monitors may be 10k or more, but when it comes to headphones, they aren't targeting folks who walk around with 2.5k universals. Moreover, what engineers wants universal buds for that matter? Most of them want full size cans anyway.

Since I really hate folks who just complain, let me offer up what I would have done:

The Layla should have been priced within a $100 of the Roxanne's with the caveat that it offers a different, flatter sound signature. In other words, it is a flagship alternative. That way he doesn't piss off all the Roxanne customers who waited months before taking delivery as well as keep the price competitive for those looking tor another set of high-end buds.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #56 of 1,931
24 balanced armatures just the materials is alot of money. The layla is aimed at sound engineers also.

To be frank, the material worth is probably only in the double digits . . . With that said, you should never judge anything based on material worth alone since the keyboard you're typing on is probably worth only 50 cents in plastic. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #57 of 1,931
Layla, love the song but will pass on the UIEM/CIEM. Same for Roxanne. 

Angie, sing to me, baby!  I'm interested in reading reviews and comparisons between Angie, IE800, and SE846.

I love the sound from SE535. I did not like IE8/7/6 at all because they were too bassy but I do like HD800 and HD600. If IE800 is more like HD800, I'd be interested but would prefer removable cables. I like the adjustable bass feature of Angie and wonder how it compares to SE846 filter changes.

So many variables to consider and questions to answer. Fun!

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #58 of 1,931
When Roxy first came out and introduced Siren Series, JH himself mentioned everywhere, have faith in us, the Roxanne will be the flagship of Siren Series no matter what so you will have the best in Siren Series.

Disgusting.... Just disgusting.. I am not against anything. He can have all the patterns and introduce all new monitors every month I don't care but don't screwing lie to your customers who pays over a grand and wait 6 months for a custom in ear monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back