JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #62 of 1,931
So sorry to everyone that purchased the Roxanne as an end game ciem only to be replaced, while you waited 8 months for delivery.

$2500... for a universal iem? It better have lots lf diamonds otherwise Im not interested. I only buy iems that have diamonds to match my diamond encrusted iphone.....

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #63 of 1,931
  Ouch... lol I would say quarter of the price though. However, I do love the FI-BA-SS. Its clarity is so great, it's like Stax of in-ears to me(something special basically :p).

The earbuds in question, the 1601SC and 1602SC (aka Piano Forte X), were never designed to compete with other TOTL models. Final Audio created them to sound like vintage horn speakers, so they're extremely mid centric and sound quite unlike anything else out there. The Cardas earphones are perhaps the closest in terms of their sonic signature, but lack the concert hall presentation. The FADs are also constructed with metal housings that took a lot of work to engineer and are coated in gold. Basically they're meant to appeal to the Japanese collector market both sonically and in construction and are priced accordingly. However some head-fiers find them very seductive.

Final Audio Design's balanced armatures however are another story entirely. They are meant to appeal to more fidelity focused audiophiles. The Heaven models, FI-BA-SS, and LAB1 can rival any earphone out their at their respective price points (from $150 USD to $1300 USD) in my opinion.

The FI-BA-SS and LAB1 in particular are two of my favorite universal earphones.

As for the universal Roxannes, I personally think they're kind of hit or miss. What they do well, they do exceedingly well. Spooky well. This includes the presentation of space, sense of air, detail extraction. I'm far less pleased with turning up the bass and finding it sounds one-note and plastered on to the rest of the frequency response, however. The top end of the Roxanne has some peakiness I don't like as well. IMHO, of course.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #65 of 1,931
  When Roxy first came out and introduced Siren Series, JH himself mentioned everywhere, have faith in us, the Roxanne will be the flagship of Siren Series no matter what so you will have the best in Siren Series.

Disgusting.... Just disgusting.. I am not against anything. He can have all the patterns and introduce all new monitors every month I don't care but don't screwing lie to your customers who pays over a grand and wait 6 months for a custom in ear monitor.

Wonder if the excessive price hike is Astell & Kern whispering in Jerry's ear? 

Hell it could be pricier due to the collaboration! 

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #66 of 1,931
When did Astell & Kern ever come cheap?
Anyway, people would still buy it. Enjoy the music, guys.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #67 of 1,931
240 + Layla costs close to a Studio 6 and LCD-X (or other similar TOTL headphone), right?  It's gettin' crazy.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #68 of 1,931
The top end of the Roxanne has some peakiness I don't like as well. IMHO, of course.

Good point. The JH13 had those resonance peaks too; its inherent in the drivers used. I wonder if the new crossovers can help smooth them out. If so, Angie's neutral tuning seems very appealing to me and the price doesn't seem as ridiculously outrageous.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #69 of 1,931
Well, the price of the Layla is absolutely ludicrous but the Angie intrigues me. I've been interested in getting a custom but never felt like going through the process of getting them fitted and waiting all those weeks for them to be made and the possibility of having to get them refitted if my audiologist messed up the original fit and...ugh.

Angie being universal eliminates that potential headache. 

But yeesh, that Layla price. It's just so unbelievably bonkers.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #71 of 1,931
Noble Prestige start at $2600 and Jh quality of the shell itself is no where even close to Noble.

If we go back to the Vid with Jude does anyone have anything to chime in on re the new cross over designs (jude called them 4th order cross overs)..are they a application of current tech or does 4th order refer to the material of their construction or design? Also I have heard via JH's talk at Google that he often gets Knowles to custom spec their drivers for his iems. Surely this adds to the cost? Do Noble for example do this or use off the shelf BA drivers? 

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #72 of 1,931
I will spend the money for Ultimate Ears UEPRM or Fitears products.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #74 of 1,931

As for the universal Roxannes, I personally think they're kind of hit or miss. What they do well, they do exceedingly well. Spooky well. This includes the presentation of space, sense of air, detail extraction. I'm far less pleased with turning up the bass and finding it sounds one-note and plastered on to the rest of the frequency response, however. The top end of the Roxanne has some peakiness I don't like as well. IMHO, of course.

Owning the custom Roxannes, I agree with this assessment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back