JH Audio JH-3A
Dec 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,382 of 2,681
Quote:
Here's the absolute smartest: Don't buy until there are reviews that include something negative. The ES5, for example, after a balanced professional review or two, has just begun to have a few more balanced comments from users that include something not entirely positive. It's not to say that most reviews won't be very postitive and even the ones that have a few negative notes won't be mostly very positive, but there's a tipping point where you start to get a few balanced reviews that really let you know what a product sounds like rather than a kind of advertisement. A 100% postitive review is not a review, it's an advertisement and it's untrustworthy. There will be a lot of untrustworthy, hyped things written about any new product, but I think the JH-3A will have a bit more of it, given the brand and new technology and price and, yes, delays--and the fact that it will sound very good. But, nothing's perfect and it'll be nice to see after about 4 months, maybe 5 months, when the first more balanced reviews come out.

did you hear the prototype? i did, and everyone that heard it at canjam was blown away. that includes many experienced, and not so easily impressed listeners. we'll see how things pan out over time but unless they get something wrong i think you'll see this considered a game changing, paradigm shifting unit. one which will likely long be remembered in the annals of audio gear. i'd be surprised if you start seeing negatives popping up in the next few months. however time will tell.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,383 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
Here's the absolute smartest: Don't buy until there are reviews that include something negative. The ES5, for example, after a balanced professional review or two, has just begun to have a few more balanced comments from users that include something not entirely positive. It's not to say that most reviews won't be very postitive and even the ones that have a few negative notes won't be mostly very positive, but there's a tipping point where you start to get a few balanced reviews that really let you know what a product sounds like rather than a kind of advertisement. A 100% postitive review is not a review, it's an advertisement and it's untrustworthy. There will be a lot of untrustworthy, hyped things written about any new product, but I think the JH-3A will have a bit more of it, given the brand and new technology and price and, yes, delays--and the fact that it will sound very good. But, nothing's perfect and it'll be nice to see after about 4 months, maybe 5 months, when the first more balanced reviews come out.

did you hear the prototype? i did, and everyone that heard it at canjam was blown away. that includes many experienced, and not so easily impressed listeners. we'll see how things pan out over time but unless they get something wrong i think you'll see this considered a game changing, paradigm shifting unit. one which will likely long be remembered in the annals of audio gear. i'd be surprised if you start seeing negatives popping up in the next few months. however time will tell.

I have never heard the demo for the JH-3A, but the bass knob is really cool. I can't count how many times I wanted some easy way to adjust bass. i would not be surprised if the release of this product does turn out to be pretty monumental. It has a bunch of really awesome features.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #1,384 of 2,681
Oh man I didn't see the DELAYED  -  NOW SHIPS WINTER, 2010

Sigh.  This has to be so disappointing on several levels to JHA (I feel worse for them than I do for me).

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,386 of 2,681
VLC works like a charm, playing .flac files on an Apple platform. Plus it plays every file type under the sun, both audio and video, and it's very cheap.

Quote:

Yes, but Dave, whatever they come out with, is going to be different than what they exhibited at Canjam. That's old news. We can only hope for the best.

Quote:
It was actually a Peter Luger's Porterhouse this time.  Man, I'm so sick of all the interventions already.  I swear I don't have a problem!  
wink_face.gif

Admitting that you have a problem, is the first step. Take the leap, dude! 
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #1,387 of 2,681
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but Dave, whatever they come out with, is going to be different than what they exhibited at Canjam. That's old news. We can only hope for the best.

everyone is acting like it's going to be an entirely different animal. i suppose it may turn out to be but Jerry has claimed that it's not.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #1,388 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

everyone is acting like it's going to be an entirely different animal. i suppose it may turn out to be but Jerry has claimed that it's not.

im not really thinking it will be totally different, but i do think the potential is there, so i really want to hear a demo of the final version before i order mine just to make sure, in the mean time i think ill be getting a set of LCD-2's instead

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #1,389 of 2,681
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

im not really thinking it will be totally different, but i do think the potential is there, so i really want to hear a demo of the final version before i order mine just to make sure, in the mean time i think ill be getting a set of LCD-2's instead

lol.
etysmile.gif
  different beast though. if you're interested in big orthos you might want to check out the h36 thread too. (for links to impressions see posts #s 1 & 1710(pg 114)). 
o2smile.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,390 of 2,681

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol.
etysmile.gif
  different beast though. if you're interested in big orthos you might want to check out the h36 thread too. (for links to impressions see posts #s 1 & 1710(pg 114)). 
o2smile.gif

oh agreed! totally different beast, but theyre the only fullsized can i like as much as my 13's. and as far as the he6's go, ive already fallen in love with the LCD-2's. i know i only heard the prototypes of the he6's at canjam, but i preferred the LCD-2's to them and not by a small margin.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,391 of 2,681

Quote:

Can you name a high end headphone can has absolutely no negatives, no detractors, nobody who'd prefer a different sound?

Everybody is blown away by things at first. That's always how it is. Then, while things stay very positive, people find things to not like as much or things that don't appeal to given tastes--that's more balanced. The idea that "EVERYONE WILL FIND THIS PERFECT ALWAYS" which, given that you seem to be disagreeing with me, is what you are saying, seems out of touch with the reality of how products are perceived over time.

Think about previous game-changers: Do people still speak reverently, in hushed tones, about the UE10? Most people don't really think about it at all. How about the W3 or whichever was the first 3-way crossover universal? Sure some people like it, but reverently, in hushed tones, all must love it forever and ever and ever and ever? Hardly.

Remember, people will freak out about this for a while. Later, there will be some notes of dissent. Other products will capture people's attention. I'm not saying anything other than common sense.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #1,393 of 2,681
JHA Facebook:

JH3A Update
Hi Everyone, We know you are anxiously awaiting the JH3A- here's an update; We just tested the first round of 3As and the low frequency boost potentiometer (pot.) is not functioning as it did in the prototype. ...

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #1,394 of 2,681

Quote:
JHA Facebook:

JH3A Update
Hi Everyone, We know you are anxiously awaiting the JH3A- here's an update; We just tested the first round of 3As and the low frequency boost potentiometer (pot.) is not functioning as it did in the prototype. ...

Well totally bummer...let's just hope its an easy fix...honestly, it feels like we ARE VERY VERY close no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back