JH Audio JH-3A
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2,341 of 2,681
SoupRKnowva, thank you for your mini-review of the JH-3A. I was wondering if you also had a chance to listen to the HiFiMan-HM801/JH-13 combo while you were at Camjam. If you did, how would your compare this combo versus the JH-3A?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,342 of 2,681

Quote:
SoupRKnowva, thank you for your mini-review of the JH-3A. I was wondering if you also had a chance to listen to the HiFiMan-HM801/JH-13 combo while you were at Camjam. If you did, how would your compare this combo versus the JH-3A?

i did not get to listen to the JH-13's with the HM-801, im not really interested in that player. But i did get to listen to the 13's out of many very high end rigs, like at the whiplash table out of a PWD into a 3000 dollar cary tube integrated taht sounded absolutely amazing, and at the Neko table out of his dac into the DNA Sonnet, and i would say that the 3A blew both of them away. no system running with the 13's that i have heard even came close.

but bear in mind that the 3A has changed since then, but as i stated previously i trust Jerry that it will sound as good if not better.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #2,345 of 2,681
I'm still all confused or at least put off by the cryptic messages from JHA. Before the last vague update, they were on the verge of receiving the first production amps. The new update says they should have 75+ of them within a month, and hearsay on this thread says they should be coming in ~20 unit batches.

It seems to me that we should probably see the first of these units ship within a week or two, then... I don't see any reason for them to sit on these amps all month...

But that makes me wonder why they didn't put this more positive spin on things when they made the announcement. If they had said shipping to customers would happen within a couple of weeks, I don't think we'd have been as bummed about the announcement... yet this is not what they said.

I've been assuming for some time that my unit would land before my big trip the second week of April, but I'm becoming more concerned. I want to ask JHA what the likelihood is, but I'll hold off a bit longer.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2,346 of 2,681
I don't think they'll be "sitting on the amps" as you put it. Apparently it takes 5-6 hours to tune each unit with it's matching earpieces (again rumoured in this thread) so setting up and shipping 20 units per week does not seem unreasonable.

However the way things have developed I'm glad that I haven't yet been able to afford a JH-3A but it's still high on my wish list for when funds eventually are available

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,347 of 2,681

Quote:
I don't think they'll be "sitting on the amps" as you put it. Apparently it takes 5-6 hours to tune each unit with it's matching earpieces (again rumoured in this thread) so setting up and shipping 20 units per week does not seem unreasonable.

However the way things have developed I'm glad that I haven't yet been able to afford a JH-3A but it's still high on my wish list for when funds eventually are available

I think it was rumoured to take 5ish hours to tune a JH16 (with passive crossovers) & JH were unsure of how long tuning would take on the JH3A units. I also recall reading that tuning a JH13 took only one hour so who knows!

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,349 of 2,681
GG (fine inits - as they correspond to those of one of the most original, creative, and interesting bands ever), JHA may be a small company, but Jerry is not a one man show.
Also, thse figures about how long it takes to 'tune' a unit are not gospel, they are conjecture and hearsay.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2,350 of 2,681
In last few days, my cables for jh-3a arrived. It is usb wireworld starlight(100$) http://www.wireworldcable.com/products/75.html and coax spdif Supra trico with AEC and SUpra connectors(60$, diy by my friend)

Picture taken by my iphone, sorry for quality.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2,351 of 2,681
I was questioning the logic behind the people's claiming that it takes Jerry 5 hours to tune it. But I've heard somewhere that Jerry tunes it himself :|

And, would you buy a DIY spdif-mini or the silverdragon one? :) 

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2,352 of 2,681

Quote:
I'm still all confused or at least put off by the cryptic messages from JHA. Before the last vague update, they were on the verge of receiving the first production amps. The new update says they should have 75+ of them within a month, and hearsay on this thread says they should be coming in ~20 unit batches.

It seems to me that we should probably see the first of these units ship within a week or two, then... I don't see any reason for them to sit on these amps all month...

But that makes me wonder why they didn't put this more positive spin on things when they made the announcement. If they had said shipping to customers would happen within a couple of weeks, I don't think we'd have been as bummed about the announcement... yet this is not what they said.

I've been assuming for some time that my unit would land before my big trip the second week of April, but I'm becoming more concerned. I want to ask JHA what the likelihood is, but I'll hold off a bit longer.

If I were anxiously awaiting this release, I'd be slightly concerned that there doesn't even appear to be a working prototype available for marketing purposes. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2,355 of 2,681
It does seem odd that there's still so much mystery surrounding this unit. I sent some questions to JHAudio via email a while ago, regarding the 3A - nobody wrote back. I'm sure they're busy, but you'd think a little customer service would be good for business. If they had answered, I would probably have pulled the trigger on the 3A by now. I check the JH facebook page on a regular basis, but that seems to be designed for showing off band endorsements and the latest wacky custom designs, and not a whole lot else... *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back