JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #5,731 of 10,743
I also own the Sensaphonics 2X-s which remain one of my favourite of all time customs. Both the JH13Pro and the 2X-s hold special places in my heart, but I don't divide them on sound quality terms. The JH13Pro is more sparkly and maybe a better hifi listen, but the staunch bass-mid section of the 2X-s is great for what I do and for listening. But isolation is phenomenal- that is for sure.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #5,732 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, from what people are writing, these aren't supposed to be super isolating monitors. There's several people that wrote about a lack of isolation when on a plane or hearing people talk around them. You should call JHA and find out for sure, though.

Good point. This is what Amy told me on the phone and that what she does is crank up the volume!

But I would still like to hear what John has to say.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #5,733 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. This is what Amy told me on the phone and that what she does is crank up the volume!

But I would still like to hear what John has to say.

You mean Jaime and Jerry, right? Or are these some people I haven't heard of?

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #5,734 of 10,743
Would just like to state that JH13 is also meant for live stage monitoring... The only issue here is that JH16 can take higher volumes. No, musicians don't really NEED to have monitors skewed to their levels because that's what the soundman is supposed to do. They need to hear everything that's going on (in an ideal setting) so neutral is important.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #5,735 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean Jaime and Jerry, right? Or are these some people I haven't heard of?

You're right! My mistake. I had just got off the phone talking with a colleague called John and then typed this....as for Amy, who knows where the hell I was....

Apologies....and never listen to me again!

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #5,736 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Guttenberg
Forget about noise reduction headphones, the JH 13 Pro's noise isolation is so good I didn't hear a New York City subway train pull into the station! I swear I was completely unaware of its arrival (my back was facing the train). It's not a fair comparison to "universal" in-ear designs, the JH 13 Pro's earpieces are derived from custom molds of my ear canals, so they produce a superior seal than with any off-the-rack ear tip.

- JH Audio in-ear headphones: Worth $1,099? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

?

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #5,737 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is just odd. Have you actually spoken to anyone over the phone about this? Do they realize that this is your 4th refit?

I have to ask out of curiosity, what has been the fit problem? Like on this last one, what exactly was wrong?

The right ear was causing a sore in my ear canal. This is a much different problem than weather the seal is perfect etc..

Yes, they are probably well aware that this is my 4th refit. I have been in touch with Zac and so far he is being exceptionally nice about the whole thing. I do appreciate their willingness to remake them for a 4th time. I am going to get another set of impression and send those in next week. Hopefully this will be the last time!

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5,738 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- JH Audio in-ear headphones: Worth $1,099? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

?

That's interesting...I dunno, I think it has to do with the fact that his back is facing the train.

Let me explain. If I'm listening to an IEM and my coworkers are having a conversation on the other side of my cube wall, I won't really notice the convo. However, if my coworkers are in front of me, talking, I'll slowly start to focus on the sound of the conversation.

Maybe? I dunno, I'm just guessing.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5,740 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I know it will be worth it eventually. Although, I hope the 4th refit is really the last because this is starting to get stupid!

It sucks. On the bright side, at least u r in the USA though.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5,741 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sucks. On the bright side, at least u r in the USA though.

Yeah, I imagine shipping them 4 times from Singapore would start to really add up!

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #5,743 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by Jerry Harvey
Hi [moseboy],

The 13 was designed to be the most accurate and detailed earpiece available. It did not start as a live piece but before I sold it as a live piece, I had to mix on it. I have never sold a earpiece to the live market that I personally have not mixef on.The 13 translates to both live and to mastered music. i believe the 13 is more of a reference earpiece than the 10. This is because of how accurate the frequency response is combined with the much faster transient response. The 50hz bump is so low that it adds only the mpact that a mixdown engineer wanted in the studio without the masking mid bass frequecies that are way to loud in most IEMs.

The bottom line is no matter if it is live or mastered music the 13 does a great job. You get out of it exactly what you put into it.

The JH16 on the other hand was designed to be a live earpiece 1st. The 16 is a 8 driver earpiece that is built for the loud bands. It is still accurate and has a fast transient response but is built for headroom.

Feel free to post any of this.

Best regards,

Jerry

First, I just want to say that Jerry, besides being a sound engineering genius, is a brilliant marketing businessman as well. I mean, he basically "used" this email correspondence with Moseboy to get his JH16 hype machine rolling. Genius. "Feel free to post any of this." Yeah right, more like, "PLEASE (I am counting on you (Moseboy) to) post this information", to help me "leak" info regarding the JH16. Anyway, Jerry seized the opportunity and his JH16 is now getting free publicity. Great thinking Jerry!
atsmile.gif

Second, hey Moseboy, you just got "used" by Jerry. You should ask for $100 discount + free custom art for your pair of JH13, seriously.

Third, I too think that the JH16 is being developed mainly for musicians that need to listen at higher volumes without distorting any of the frequencies. However, I find this a bit ironic. Wasn't IEM invented by Jerry so that musicians DO NOT need to listen to music at high volumes? Or, maybe the JH16 is meant for musicians whose hearing aren't so good anymore? And, shouldn't IEM developers focus more of their attention on getting better isolation instead first?

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #5,744 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotdoggie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I just want to say that Jerry, besides being a sound engineering genius, is a brilliant marketing businessman as well. I mean, he basically "used" this email correspondence with Moseboy to get his JH16 hype machine rolling. Genius. "Feel free to post any of this." Yeah right, more like, "PLEASE (I am counting on you (Moseboy) to) post this information", to help me "leak" info regarding the JH16. Anyway, Jerry seized the opportunity and his JH16 is now getting free publicity. Great thinking Jerry!
atsmile.gif

Second, hey Moseboy, you just got "used" by Jerry. You should ask for $100 discount + free custom art for your pair of JH13, seriously.

Third, I too think that the JH16 is being developed mainly for musicians that need to listen at higher volumes without distorting any of the frequencies. However, I find this a bit ironic. Wasn't IEM invented by Jerry so that musicians DO NOT need to listen to music at high volumes? Or, maybe the JH16 is meant for musicians whose hearing aren't so good anymore? And, shouldn't IEM developers focus more of their attention on getting better isolation instead first?

I'm confused? Didn't Jerry use Head-Fi to help start expose his new business when it began? In other words, isn't Head-Fi the place to spread news to the "street"? Doesn't seem like Jerry had to pay to advertise that but I could be wrong.

It's not like moseboy was forced to do this. He was willing to spread the news as long as he was allowed to do so.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #5,745 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused? Didn't Jerry use Head-Fi to help start expose his new business when it began? In other words, isn't Head-Fi the place to spread news to the "street"? Doesn't seem like Jerry had to pay to advertise that but I could be wrong.

It's not like moseboy was forced to do this. He was willing to spread the news as long as he was allowed to do so.

I think that what Hotdoggie is trying to say is that all of this info may have come off to Moseboy like an undercover breaking story but to Jerry, he was hoping that Moseboy would spread the news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back