JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4,051 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone indicated DCD earlier in the thread, Into The Labyrinth which was great. If you like DCD, check out Aion on SACD or Towards the Within on the JH13's, goosebumps.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

@Lil' Knight:
Quote:

JH13 1 1,099.00
CUSTOM ARTWORK ON IEM'S 1 50.00
SHIPPING 1 20.00

That's about right. What do you find wrong with this?

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4,053 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have a markl modded d5000 and an alo recabled edition 9. Would it be worth it for me to sell my edition 9 to get a jh13pro? is it considered an upgrade? (I like its portability, I'm talking SQ wise.) This would be in a portable rig, with a classic ipod>LOD>p-51.

Yes, with the gear you mentioned to use with, sell the Edition 9 for the JH13Pro.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4,054 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the only thing to complain about after all these pages of posts is shipping charges then the JH13 must be truly incredible. My wallet and I are fighting. Hope to have it resolved soon.

No, there's more than the just shipping charges, but that won't make any difference in your particular case. People will also want to know how the JH13's compare to your UE11 & ES3X.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4,055 of 10,743
Impressions on headphones that come from impressions:

I had a chance tonight to compare my UE-10's to my JH-13's with a quick reference to HD800's (that don't come from impressions
normal_smile .gif
)

First off, comments on the cables. The 13's cable measures 48" and the insulation is thinner (not sure about the internal wire), and the memory wire that goes around your ear is twice as long on the 10's. The 13's memory only goes around your ear stopping just shy of the top dead center, with can be irritating because it uses a "sleeve" over the wire which has an edge where it stops. It is not irritating to me, by there is definitely an edge. The 10's has what seems to be a coating on the wire which is twice as long and wraps all the way over the whole top of the ear.

The 10's cable measures 65" and is thicker, prettier, and has a beefier 3.5mm (1/8") termination. Also the length affords the ability for your source to be put in a belly bag, or laptop bag. Also, when sitting on a chair, let's say in a park or at the beach, can be placed on the ground, or on a sheet. with the 13's having only 48" they can only be carried "in-hand" or in very close proximity and make my usual drape-behind-me, down-my-back-carrying, very limiting.

As far as sound quality and overall presentation is concerned, the 13's beat the 10's in every area that I would use for a review, and also my musical listening enjoyment, but only in small increments. It is better, but I wouldn't suffer if I could only take my UE-10's to the Desert Island for the rest of my life, thing.

When comparing the 13's to the HD800's (can't really do all three because there is too much memory loss in between swapping IEM/IEM/Circumaural and volume matching, the 13's need about 10 minutes more juice on the clock dial analogy), let's just say, I'm not running to put my 800's in the For Sale forums, just yet.
Yes, I feel the output from the 13's is superior to the 800's. The bass response, in measurability and clarity and speed, is better on the JHA's. When comparing the 2 soundstages (headstages...whatevah!), they are completely different. Completely. Did I remember to say, "completely". It's definitely a matter of taste. I dig them both. However, the most noticeable and discerning difference is that the 800's push the vocals much more forward. And the presentation wrap further around your sides on the Senn's. Not unnaturally so, just more.

Overall, I feel that the 13's could be a headphone that, if someone could only choose or pay for one, would not disappoint even the most discerning listener (not that we have any of those, here on Head-Fi
tongue.gif
). But, the 10's run a very close second, and the 800's is the best headphone to hit the full size market since the R-10's.

IMHO!

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #4,056 of 10,743
What are they using these days for cases? I had heard something about running out of carbon fiber one's or something? Anyone know?

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4,057 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as sound quality and overall presentation is concerned, the 13's beat the 10's in every area that I would use for a review, and also my musical listening enjoyment, but only in small increments. It is better, but I wouldn't suffer if I could only take my UE-10's to the Desert Island for the rest of my life, thing.

Even as a moderator you're not supposed to make comments like this on THIS thread. :)

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #4,058 of 10,743
I gotta say for the money paid on these things. I'm not sure why there isn't a better cable used. :\ Has anyone every brought it up with them?

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4,059 of 10,743
Tried both JH cable and UE custom cable on triple fi. They sound pretty similar. I didn't go into in-depth analysis but they're way better than ES2 and other substitute cables for the <150 SGD range.

But I would say that the JH cables are easier to work with... Partially due to the fact that they are thinner so it's easier to keep and all. UE custom cable has a good memory wire. I would agree, better than JH.

Take on these two cables.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4,060 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are they using these days for cases? I had heard something about running out of carbon fiber one's or something? Anyone know?

I got mine yesterday in the same carbon fiber box

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #4,061 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even as a moderator you're not supposed to make comments like this on THIS thread. :)

Member first, moderator second.

Besides, I wasn't saying anything bad. Just a "desert island" scenario. I could easily live with either headphone as my only phone,
along with the coconut trees and the monkeys. Of course, I would need my solar powered DAP.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #4,062 of 10,743
Quote:

Impressions on headphones that come from impressions:

I had a chance tonight to compare my UE-10's to my JH-13's with a quick reference to HD800's (that don't come from impressions
normal_smile .gif
)

...snip...

Overall, I feel that the 13's could be a headphone that, if someone could only choose or pay for one, would not disappoint even the most discerning listener (not that we have any of those, here on Head-Fi
tongue.gif
). But, the 10's run a very close second, and the 800's is the best headphone to hit the full size market since the R-10's.

IMHO!

Thanks for the impressions! It seems like you're hearing what the rest of are hearing, and I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #4,063 of 10,743
Quote:

Besides, I was saying anything bad. Just a "desert island" scenario. I could easily live with either headphone as my only phone,
along with the coconut trees and the monkeys. Of course, I would need my solar powered DAP.

Thanks for you impressions, as Larry has stated.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #4,064 of 10,743
Quote:

Besides, I was saying anything bad. Just a "desert island" scenario. I could easily live with either headphone as my only phone,

I know you said nothing negative about the JH13's. What I meant was you did NOT praise them enough, which to some might translate as almost saying something negativ about theme. When compared to other IEM's some will have you believe the JH13 will 'destroy' anything that was ever created before it, ie they're so much better/ 'night & day'. Of course, only very recently have we begun to see more balanced posts comparing the JH13's to other custom IEM's.

On a separate note, I've tried both Westone & UE cables, both black and clear and noticed NO difference in SQ whatsoever. Yes, the memory wire on the UE is longer, but I still prefer the Westones in that respect as I find them a little less 'intrussive', just the right size.

What I did find better on the UE cables was the cable distance between the earpieces and Y split being longer than on the Westones. I also prefer the fact the UE clear cable is ALL the same colour unlike the Westone (and JH) that have a white termination (jack) which make them look a bit odd.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #4,065 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're a true Brit, you're not supposed to smile broadly unless you come from the north (or from Wales), that is. :)

Haha nice one....

I think it's because I spend a lot of time in Wales that I can do this, I spent most of my youth there and still see my best buddy regular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back