JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3,301 of 10,743
^^ tell me about it!! the impending shipping of my JH|13 is doing my head in!!! BAD!! I dont want to hassle them there, so I havent, but when asking about the possibility of getting the demos over here for our sydney meet last night. I slipped in an inquiry about the status of my IEMs, the second deadline is upon us and the question of the demos was answered, but the status question was either missed or ignored. I dont want to call them if I can avoid it, but if I dont receive word today i'm going to have to. I can only imagine what its like there these days with the orders they must be getting, all the same; a little communication goes a long way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
Now the pic is super tiny and I can't distinguish the difference.
That makes me worried because one of my impressions is a little longer than (~2-3mm) the other one.

regarding depth, as long as both ear impressions are past the second bend you'll be ok; I asked for my audiologist to go as deep as he could safely go with mine and they ended up pretty much at the 3rd bend right next to my eardrum, in fact I could feel just a tiny bit of pressure there, but not painfully so. I think the problem with podheads and why these are half impressions is not the depth of them, but because the material did not fill the whole outer of the ear, the customs use the outer of the ear to 'lock' into place. I dont know the anatomical name, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I asked Jerry to make my JH13 as deep as he thinks he can go without making them uncomfortable to wear. I want the isolation to be as good as it can be.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #3,302 of 10,743
DP

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #3,304 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If was in a position where I was undecided between 2 or 3 of these flagship custom IEM's, I personally would need more reviews, not just HPA's (no matter how thorough and/ or long it was).

Substantial reviews aren't really forthcoming, so how long would the wait have to be? One year before you decide? Two? Three? People who are waiting for HPA's review have already read the many comments made in this thread; we won't make a decision based on HPA's words only, but we do hope his review will be more precise than the "ooh!" and "aah!" in this thread. Right now, the ES3X thread has much better descriptions of its sound, IMO, than the JH13 thread does with its many more posts.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #3,305 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Substantial reviews aren't really forthcoming, so how long would the wait have to be?

What qualifies as a substantial review to you?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #3,306 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd link you to HPA's review, but it ain't out yet.
tongue.gif

Okay, this one is useful:

Electronic Music 411 - Headphones reviews from mixer’s perspective - Headphones, Cans, JH-13

Detailed comparisons is often what makes a review really useful. What I'm looking for in HPA's review is to see the ES3X and JH13 compared. I took notice of Edwood's comment that the JH13 beats the ES3X and ER4P/S hands down, but you'll admit it hardly qualifies as a review.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3,307 of 10,743
I like the Electronic Music 411 review and I agree that it's useful. But for the most part, I'm finding long, detailed comparisons less and less useful. Over the course of my time here, I've found those with ears I trust, and if they say, "Headphone X smashes Y to little tiny bits," then I'm generally confident that I'll like Headphone X. Of course, that's just me.

By the way, I liked your Philips SHS8000 review.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3,308 of 10,743
Quote:

Substantiated, for me, means the listener has the adequate equipments and good recordings, in order to objectively describe the quality of sound that they hear. If the listener can compare that with his/her other gear, that would add another dimension of information. To me, however, I say the more impressions (whether it's one sentence, paragraph, or an entire article) the more interesting.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #3,309 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a UE-11 owner, how should I take this comment with regards to an upgrade? I really enjoyed my UE-10s when I first got them (won them at Can Jam), and never went back to my Shure se530s. Then I bought the UE-11's, and never went back to my UE-10s. I recently tried out my UE-10s for old times sake, and they sounded downright muddy to my ears in comparison to the clarity of the UE-11s. I'm really tempted by the JH-13's, but if my UE-11s will still be enjoyable after hearing the JH-13s, how much better can the JH-13s really be?

I've got the same dilemma as you
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #3,310 of 10,743
Quote:

I like the Electronic Music 411 review and I agree that it's useful. But for the most part, I'm finding long, detailed comparisons less and less useful. Over the course of my time here, I've found those with ears I trust, and if they say, "Headphone X smashes Y to little tiny bits," then I'm generally confident that I'll like Headphone X. Of course, that's just me.

Finding ears I can trust other than my own would be a time-consuming quest. If I owned several different high-end headphones and found someone who owned the same and judged them as I do, then it could work. But I don't own any high-end headphones, so I've got to use other factors to motivate my decisions.

Quote:

By the way, I liked your Philips SHS8000 review.

Thanks. Of course, I don't really focus on... the sound!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Substantiated, for me, means the listener has the adequate equipments and good recordings, in order to objectively describe the quality of sound that they hear. If the listener can compare that with his/her other gear, that would add another dimension of information. To me, however, I say the more impressions (whether it's one sentence, paragraph, or an entire article) the more interesting.

Ayup. That's why, whenever possible, I read not only professional reviews of a product but also the feedback left by customers on Amazon.com.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #3,311 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no problem with it, but I can't help be curious, music_4321, why you're so active in this thread if you're not personally interested in the JH13s.

On topic: has anyone else noticed that they're listening to live recordings more than they used to? I've found, with excellently recorded material, I'm there. It's rather addictive.

Yes. It doesn't even have to be excellently recorded material.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #3,312 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are exactly right....they did not fill the outer portion of my ear, at least not full enough..

Now judging on the pics Adam sent you, are these good or bad impressions?

3795888845_d9a38d488b_d.jpg

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #3,313 of 10,743
Those look great to me, although I'm not sure if we were supposed to use cotton instead of foam. When I did my impressions, I sent the pic to Brittany (who asked for it, since she said she can tell in one glance if they're okay, and I was worried about delays due to impression quality) who then okay-ed it. Maybe you could do this too if you're worried.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #3,314 of 10,743
They ask for cotton but I got foam and Jerry said that it would be fine, and it was.

I was listening to "The Simpsons" tonight. The music at the end was great on the 13's. Actually I enjoy the 3 episodes I watched. The only problem I had was when I decided to eat an apple. It sounded like I had an army marching through my head. The good news was as the finally finished the apple the army finally marched off with just a few stragglers left.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #3,315 of 10,743
I don't want this to turn into a ear impression line up but, can some people give an idea if this impression is ok?

I'm not sure why there is a crease just at the exit of the canal , but it on both sides
confused.gif
Hope the foam is ok ><

3814313558_cc0574d9e6_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back