JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,271 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On topic: has anyone else noticed that they're listening to live recordings more than they used to? I've found, with excellently recorded material, I'm there. It's rather addictive.

Second that.

Live recordings with the JH13 really sounds amazing. Haha. I'm listening to live recording from the Esplanade as I'm typing this. Helps me to analyse the placement of notes and what went wrong in the setting.

Not that it was fantastically recorded or whatever... But yes I also have been listening more to old school Weather Report and Return To Forever live. Amazing... =)

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3,272 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some mixerman´s impressions :

Electronic Music 411 - Headphones reviews from mixer’s perspective - Headphones, Cans, JH-13

enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

and now i know that i will definitely buy JH13 Pro..of course if Jerry will come out with something better
smily_headphones1.gif
))but in february next year...until then waiting waiting....

Cool - I actually own Nick Notis "Lycopods" that the reviewer made. So, it's nice to read his thoughts.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3,273 of 10,743
Quote:

I have no problem with it, but I can't help be curious, music_4321, why you're so active in this thread if you're not personally interested in the JH13s.

On topic: has anyone else noticed that they're listening to live recordings more than they used to? I've found, with excellently recorded material, I'm there. It's rather addictive.

I have enough interest in the JH13, of course, and more so owning the ES3X. I think most, if not all ES3X owners, are following this thread - after all the ES3X has only been around for 6 months. Some people will post more than others, some, perhaps not at all and just sit and watch.

There have been other issues discussed here as well - though not always in the friendliest terms - which have prompted my participation here.

I'm not too sure, though, that you really don't have a problem with me being so active in this thread (lately).

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #3,276 of 10,743
Quote:

I have no problem with it, but I can't help be curious, music_4321, why you're so active in this thread if you're not personally interested in the JH13s.

To hang out? Share/contribute thoughts? There are some here who do own these puppies but hardly ever come to talk about them.

Psss, btw, sorry for mistaking ya for a guy.

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #3,277 of 10,743
Could someone tell me how easily the cable can be removed from the JH13s? The reason I wonder, is if I have both a balanced cable and single ended for the JH13s, would constantly switching the cable cause the connector to wear out?

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #3,278 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have enough interest in the JH13, of course, and more so owning the ES3X. I think most, if not all ES3X owners, are following this thread - after all the ES3X has only been around for 6 months. Some people will post more than others, some, perhaps not at all and just sit and watch.

There have been other issues discussed here as well - though not always in the friendliest terms - which have prompted my participation here.

I'm not too sure, though, that you really don't have a problem with me being so active in this thread (lately).

I think there is a healthy interest in all the high-end customs when one owns one of them.

I do want to add that even IF the JH13Pro do turn out to be a little better than the ES3X, that does not make the ES3X a bad custom. Prior to the HD800 I had not heard a dynamic headphone that I thought was as good or better than the ES3X, except for the Sony MDR10 which can't afford (but not even my K1000). The HD800 was the first dynamic phone that I owned that could match the ES3X, while also by chance having a similar sound signature as well. Obviously not everyone likes the HD800, so the ES3X may not please those people. For me, the HD800 with my ZDT amp are fantastic, and I love my ES3X in the same way. But the HD800 are not the only good dynamic headphone out there, so neither are the ES3X the only good custom IEM.

No, I'm not spilling the beans on my JH13Pro before my review is posted - you have to read between the lines.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3,279 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone tell me how easily the cable can be removed from the JH13s? The reason I wonder, is if I have both a balanced cable and single ended for the JH13s, would constantly switching the cable cause the connector to wear out?

By connector, I mean the one in the monitor itself.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #3,280 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in any way to diminish Larry's review's but please do not bet all your chips on any one member's review or opinion. Many "reviewers" on headfi have very engaging writing styles and reading the reviews are fun but like all reviews YMMV. I like reading a variety of opinions both good and critical to gain a more fully informed view.

Better to try them if you can as Jerry has a meet package now or at least had one for my NorCal meet.

That said I love my JH13s

I completely agree with you. No offense to HPA, but I don't think that you should trust someone just because they write a lot of reviews. In my opinion, it's much more important to have similar music tastes with the person who write the review. If a pair of headphones are very good with Diana Krall, that doesn't mean that they will be very good with Slayer and vice-versa.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #3,282 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree with you. No offense to HPA, but I don't think that you should trust someone just because they write a lot of reviews. In my opinion, it's much more important to have similar music tastes with the person who write the review. If a pair of headphones are very good with Diana Krall, that doesn't mean that they will be very good with Slayer and vice-versa.

one of the consistent comments posted here about the JH13s that i find so intriguing is that they seem to sound good with virtually any type of music or quality of recording. many high end listening devices sound fabulous when everything is just right but can sound not so good when fed less than pristine material. the 13s sound like they avoid this pitfall making them incredibly versatile. partner that with an ability to scale with better gear but still being able to sound good out of near any half decent equipment, extremely balanced sound, and the ability to hear never before heard details yet while always maintaining a musical and appealing sound makes this sound like a darn near perfect transducer. and Jerry apparently doesn't see any significant improvements coming down the transducer pike. musicality, purity, impactfulness, superb bass, balance, comfort - these persistent and consistent descriptions are amazing and why JHA seems to be working around the clock to keep up with demand despite a worldwide recession.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #3,283 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is to assume that his review will be based on a narrow selection of music. The range of genres that he listens to is quite wide, according to what I see in his profile. Other than that, he gives specific details about what aspects each equipment excels in. Don't think anyone who writes lots of review just does it because he has nothing better to do but sit in front of a computer and spew his own bias, subjective thoughts. A good review conveys more objective information than subjective information, which allows each reader to come to conclusions that would apply only to them, based on their own tastes and standards.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #3,284 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of the consistent comments posted here about the JH13s that i find so intriguing is that they seem to sound good with virtually any type of music or quality of recording.

This is very true from my perspective. I listen to everything from Dream Theatre to Allison Krauss to Glenn Gould to Massive Attack to John Coltrane and haven't heard any genre that the JH-13s don't handle well. Or, maybe better put, that l haven't enjoyed listening to.

The comments about quality recordings is a bit of a different issue for me though. I think because well recorded music just sounds so sublime on these monitors, I just don't enjoy listening to my music that is not well recorded, no matter how good it might sound on the 13s.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #3,285 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got mine today! My first IEM, so im still getting used to them.
The sound is lovely.

Congrats. Let us know more about how they sound and how you like them when you have the free time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back