JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 11, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #3,256 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still afraid I'll just end up disappointing people if my review doesn't live up to expectations. These customs are all so good at revealing the character of the amp and source being used that I am having to spend a large portion of my time using a wide variety of them, to figure out the nature of the IEM's own sound as opposed to the sound signature of the amp and source.

I doubt if anyone will end up being disappointed by your review no matter what the outcome is. Also I wish that other reviews may come up from head-fiers who also have JH13 plus either ue11 or ES3X or both after your reviews.

Thanks again for taking up the $$ and the time to wrtie this review.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #3,257 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this happen, HPA will probably faint as well.
Anyway, HPA's replied he's got backup. May be we need to advise him to have double backup (say a RAID 5) as well because there are so many head-fiers looking forward to it.
tongue_smile.gif

I don't think HPA would faint. I think he'd get a heart attack.

The only other recent example I can think of where there was such 'mass hysteria' on this scale was the latest Harry Potter book releases. I honestly think the world needs to know the official release date for HPA's review.

EDIT: Smiley ----> :)

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #3,259 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only other recent example I can think of where there was such 'mass hysteria' on this scale was the latest Harry Potter book releases. I honestly think the world needs to know the official release date for HPA's review.

Poster Larry and the Customs of Fire?

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #3,261 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think HPA would faint. I think he'd get a heart attack.

EDIT: Smiley ----> :)

Not in any way to diminish Larry's review's but please do not bet all your chips on any one member's review or opinion. Many "reviewers" on headfi have very engaging writing styles and reading the reviews are fun but like all reviews YMMV. I like reading a variety of opinions both good and critical to gain a more fully informed view.

Better to try them if you can as Jerry has a meet package now or at least had one for my NorCal meet.

That said I love my JH13s

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #3,262 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some mixerman´s impressions :

Electronic Music 411 - Headphones reviews from mixer’s perspective - Headphones, Cans, JH-13

Darn. Thanks for the link!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better to try them if you can as Jerry has a meet package now or at least had one for my NorCal meet.

Sure, I'd love to try them! But that's funny, I can't seem to find many demo unit around here in Taiwan. And while Larry is only one person, his review promises to be a lot more detailed than what we've read up to now. I'd love to consider more people's opinions, but meaningful comparisons are actually pretty scarce.
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #3,263 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some mixerman´s impressions :

Electronic Music 411 - Headphones reviews from mixer’s perspective - Headphones, Cans, JH-13

enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

and now i know that i will definitely buy JH13 Pro..of course if Jerry will come out with something better
smily_headphones1.gif
))but in february next year...until then waiting waiting....

I just read that. Thanks, it was interesting. The guy also noted in the comments section that 16bit audio will sound just as good from a pico dac as his the super super high end (or just super expensive?) Lavry. Makes perfect sense to me. An extra $2000 isn't going to get you a magic machine that pumps extra resolution out of thin air from your CDs. Now I know I'm no longer interested in a HR ultra desktop dac, especially for my budget. Ibasso D10, I'm coming for you!

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #3,264 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read that. Thanks, it was interesting. The guy also noted in the comments section that 16bit audio will sound just as good from a pico dac as his the super super high end (or just super expensive?) Lavry. Makes perfect sense to me. An extra $2000 isn't going to get you a magic machine that pumps extra resolution out of thin air from your CDs. Now I know I'm no longer interested in a HR ultra desktop dac, especially for my budget. Ibasso D10, I'm coming for you!

The pico DAC is considered very good for the money but I don't think most would agree that it's quite equal to a higher end DAC. Also there's no reason why the JH13would be any less source sensitive than other high end phones.

That said I do think it was a good read.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #3,265 of 10,743
well actually i would tend to totally disagree there (I read the review too); while the pico/D10 (same dac chip) do sound great for portable units. they dont exemplify the pinnacle of 44.1k audio. far from it.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3,266 of 10,743
FWIW, I preferred the Pico DAC to the Benchmark DAC1 by a large margin. And I preferred the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 to the Pico DAC by a much smaller margin. So I think it's fair to say that it punches above it's weight, and is not just good for the money.

EDIT: Though I think many would not consider the Pico, ECD-1, Lavry DA10 or 11, or the DAC1 to be "super high end."

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #3,267 of 10,743
^^ exactly my point man; i'm not surprised you put it above the dac1; IMO that thing is pretty damn boring (no offense to owners out there, just not my cup of tea) pico or D10 are great little units, but certainly not on the level of say a Buffalo32 or even the headroom ultra tigon_ridge was considering; especially the maxxed version. not even close; regardless of source material; well ok using 22k files might be a leveller
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #3,268 of 10,743
I would actually just like to second the mixing engineer's take on the JH13s being possibly the best cans to use for mixing ever.

The amount of detail resolution is so amazing, I sometimes prefer listening to it then sound which is garbled by bad acoustics.

=X

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #3,269 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in any way to diminish Larry's review's but please do not bet all your chips on any one member's review or opinion. Many "reviewers" on headfi have very engaging writing styles and reading the reviews are fun but like all reviews YMMV. I like reading a variety of opinions both good and critical to gain a more fully informed view.

That said I love my JH13s

Absolutely agree with you there. However, there's been so much talk of Larry's review that I can't help seeing the humorous side to the loooong wait and anticipation by some of the members here.

I am curious about the review but have no serious interest in it at present. I'm quite convinced by now, from most people's accounts, that the the JH13 is a better all round IEM than the ES3X, but I'm almost equally convinced the ES3X is not THAT far behind.

Would I spend $1,100 if I heard the JH13 an found it slightly better than my ES3X? No. Even if had plenty of money? Still, the answer would be No, I wouldn't. However, if I heard a serious significant improvement in SQ, I'd seriously consider getting a set eventually, but at present I feel that is NOT the case. Yes, I know some here will say 'Oh, you won't know until you try them'. Well, I'm quite happy with what I've got at present, and don't see the possibility of trying them any time soon in Spain or the UK and I've no urge to do so either - curious yes, but not desperately so.

If was in a position where I was undecided between 2 or 3 of these flagship custom IEM's, I personally would need more reviews, not just HPA's (no matter how thorough and/ or long it was).

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #3,270 of 10,743
I have no problem with it, but I can't help be curious, music_4321, why you're so active in this thread if you're not personally interested in the JH13s.

On topic: has anyone else noticed that they're listening to live recordings more than they used to? I've found, with excellently recorded material, I'm there. It's rather addictive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back