JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3,226 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm hoping this is not all hype because there's no resale with customs.

Ha! We're all actually relatives of Jerry Harvey and have just sucked you in with our hype machine!!
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3,227 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When are you planning on buying a new outboard DAC, or amp to replace the mustang? I think those media players such as CD/SACD/DVD-A players that incorporate a decent DAC, or spdif out, seem so incredibly expensive. Would probably be much more cost-effective to store files on hard drive, and get yourself a portable dac. OH, wait... standard DVD drives don't read DVD-A?

Btw, I'm afraid Boomana is going to delete your post. He made it very clear about posting about other headphones or iems without making them relevant (in his view, at least) to the JH13s. (A shame, but the rules regarding off-topic posts are overly strict around here - and in some other areas, not strict enough. Praise the ES3X exclusively and you'll get dinged, not just by the admin but by the sensitive JH13 fans; but talking about how you could've flirted with the audiologist but was too chicken to, will get them to laugh with you and play along.) Maybe you should post your reply to daveDerek in the ES3X thread, and then post a link here... or PM the link to him.

No plans now to get a new outboard DAC or another amp at present, unless I noticed noticeable/ significant improvement in SQ, which I didn't from the Mustang. Unfortunately not much chance of trying another portable amp here in Spain or in the UK. Getting a new one just to try out and then possibly having to sell would mean losing quite a bit in shipping charges and exchange rate as it happened with the sale of the Mustang & Nuforce amps I had. For the Nuforce I even had to pay nearly £30 Import Duty.

I'm quite pleased with both SQ and ease of portability at present. Unfortunately I don't listen much to my home system these days as I live in a flat where music at certain volume levels (not necessarily loud) can be problematic, even if it's only classical music being played. So, often at home it's just my ES3X --> iPod. I'm very curious, though, on some of the new DAP's coming out, the Sony X comes to mind, but the current 32GB offered is not good enough for me -- my music files are 256 kbps on a 160gb iPod and already used about 75-80% of it's storage capacity!

BTW, Boomana is not a he but a she, and I don't think she'll be deleting my previous post - I hope. :)

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3,228 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too freaky for comfort...
eek.gif

After not listening to LTE for a couple of months, I listened to both of their albums twice yesterday. I didn't even know many people knew about them.

If you like LTE and King Crimson, you should listen to the new Indukti album. (Idmen) They sound like a mix of LTE, King Crimson and Tool.

Sorry to be slightly off topic

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3,229 of 10,743
Quote:

I am hoping this is the case. If I get to unload my amplifier and other phones I think I will actually save money with this purchase. What I'm hoping for is a neutral headphone with a bit more bass than the HD800 which seems to be a reasonable expectation given Iron Dreamer's sale of his L3000 after hearing the JH13's.

Yeah if that is what you are looking for it seems the signature of the jh-13's is perfect for you.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,230 of 10,743
Quote:

Wouldn't that be a little silly to use an $1100 pair of IEMs with a $20 amp? You can get a quality portable amp for a few hundred.

Also, I just made my appointment with Frances Miranda for impressions in one week. Thanks to davederek for posting her name. The impressions are free since she's a JH Audio dealer.

I'm hoping this is not all hype because there's no resale with customs.

What? I used Frances on Jerry's rec and she charged me $50 for impressions?

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #3,231 of 10,743
Man the reviews made me drool. I hope this is not some kind of hype either. It'll be $1500CAD to my door step and there's no way of reselling it either. We need some in-depth comparisons to top tier headphones such as the O2, L3000, PS1000, PS1, R10, Q010 & of course the HE90.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #3,232 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? I used Frances on Jerry's rec and she charged me $50 for impressions?

Here's a quote from her email to me when I inquired:

Quote:

You can let the receptionist know that you were referred by JH Audio and need an ear impression appt. Cost of the visit is $50 or if you place your order directly with me (I am a JH Audio dealer) then there is no impression fee. You just pay for the JH 13's which is $1099 + tax and shipping.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3,233 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My review write-up is about 60% done...

I think by now it'd safe to say your review should be called a dissertation and should be ready by Xmas
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #3,235 of 10,743
To add a bit more fuel to the fire, I suppose, I am listening to asr's OmegaII/BHSE setup as I type this (using Pico DAC as source). I have been doing some comparisons with the JH13+Pico DAC/amp. Both have a ton of detail and freaky speed. If I had to compare the two in that regard, and this is really splitting hairs, the JH13 sounds quicker in the bass, the OII in certain areas of the midrange. This is as impactful of bass as I've heard from a 'stat, but it is not up to the level of the JH13 in that regard. Of course, the OII system has a significantly larger soundstage that extends quite a ways beyond my head, though it is a bit more diffuse.

At this point, they are both examples of extremely superb headphone audio. The choice could certainly come down to the preference of the listener. But the fact that the JH13 can even compete with such a staunch rig is testament enough. I am finding the JH13 more to my liking, mostly due to the tonal balance sounding a bit more spot-on and realistic.

The only question is would the JH13 scale as high as the OII/BHSE with a super-high-end source? There is no way for me to definitively answer that (unless someone wants to overnight me a killer DAC). Although I would say that I have no reason to think the JH13 couldn't scale up very well, as they certainly showed with the various amps as the meet last weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With SR71A, JH13 is more forgiving to my ears. Now pops and rocks sounded pleasant and highly detailed at the same time. As for Jazz/Classical, instruments timber is sweet and silky smooth. I very much like piano tones that JH13/SR71A deliver.
Adding some bass by SR71A is a nice touch as the bass quantity of JH13 is just right. Just right is a good thing but sometimes I want somewhat exaggerated.

This makes perfect sense with how Ray tunes his amps. I haven't used my JH13 with one of his yet, but I can certainly see how it would be a good change of pace, if the steadfast neutrality of the JH13 is too much for certain listeners and/or recordings.

Quote:

I am hoping this is the case. If I get to unload my amplifier and other phones I think I will actually save money with this purchase. What I'm hoping for is a neutral headphone with a bit more bass than the HD800 which seems to be a reasonable expectation given Iron Dreamer's sale of his L3000 after hearing the JH13's.

The JH13 has better bass than the L3000, and more from 50-60Hz down. The L3000 has more upper bass than the JH13. Either one is a better bass headphone than the HD800, IMO. Both have more bass impact, and more bass volume in certain areas (JH13 lower, L3000 upper). Just want to be clear, so that you have realistic expectations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch when he finishes his review his hard drive will crash and he will lose it. Then the tootsie pop saying "the world may never know" will be a perfect fit XD

I'm pretty sure that HPA can afford a flash drive
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #3,236 of 10,743
Can someone throw some "hater-ade" on the JH-13s??? I was out of this game for a long time and came across *this* thread and now I am thinking about ways to find the cash for some JH-13s. I need the fire to be put out on the JH-13s enough to move on. I thought the HD800s would light a fire under me but after reading even favorable reviews I saw they would probably not be my cup of tea.

Spraggih mulls.... ".... Sold his L3000s after listening to the JH-13s...." Iron_Dreamer of all people. Spraggih mulls further.... looking for a tall glass of hater-ade.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3,237 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The JH13 has better bass than the L3000, and more from 50-60Hz down. The L3000 has more upper bass than the JH13. Either one is a better bass headphone than the HD800, IMO. Both have more bass impact, and more bass volume in certain areas (JH13 lower, L3000 upper). Just want to be clear, so that you have realistic expectations.

That sounds about right. I prefer deep and well extended, impactful bass to midbass (I listen to a good deal of electronic music which does rely on bass to engage the listener). I honestly thought the HD800 was just a little on the light side not way too light - it was great at higher volumes (higher than my 75dB casual listening level) and with jazz, classical, and rock - so I think I will be happy with a bit more since I wouldn't call myself a "basshead" either. I am satisfied with the bass in my AD2000's which I think is neutral to just short of neutral (though I wouldn't mind a bit more). The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is speed and transparency which were the real selling points of the HD800 for me and appear to be as good/better in the JH13 FWIR. In any case, I will only blame myself if I'm not satisfied although I strongly suspect the JH13's will work for me.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #3,239 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone throw some "hater-ade" on the JH-13s??? I was out of this game for a long time and came across *this* thread and now I am thinking about ways to find the cash for some JH-13s. I need the fire to be put out on the JH-13s enough to move on. I thought the HD800s would light a fire under me but after reading even favorable reviews I saw they would probably not be my cup of tea.

Spraggih mulls.... ".... Sold his L3000s after listening to the JH-13s...." Iron_Dreamer of all people. Spraggih mulls further.... looking for a tall glass of hater-ade.

I'd imagine that the one sonic issue that would weigh most heavily on my decision would be soundstage preferences. If soundstage width and depth were supremely important to me, I imagine that there are going to be better full-sized alternatives.

The price factor is another, but if you're entertaining the idea of spending $1100 on earphones, I imagine it's not a primary consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back