JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3,196 of 10,747
Well I do see how you guys feel about it being overpriced after the breakdown. GTL did an "overestimation" of the prices and it ended up about 2k SGD. Well if you find it very expensive there was a person who bought JH13 not the Jaben and he get it on his own... If it's a better deal for you then I think you should take the plunge.

I can't get my JH13s out of my ears. Sometimes when I'm out with my girlfriend for the whole day I actually feel a bit frustrated as when I'm on the public transport I can't listen to my music. Of course that's fine by me... But sometimes my mind just can't help going to JH13.

And even when we're having big band practice I'm almost always wishing that I had my JH13s for monitoring as they are really the best for that. I think it's funny how I've become rather dependent on them for anything regarding music. =P

And I'd like to state again, how amazing these two shells of acrylic are. When I was on stage for a performance, there were several mics for ethnic and classical instruments on stage and during one of the practices of one of the pieces without them, I could hear virtually everything on stage and even more (could hear the audience talking, which none of the other people on ear monitors could). And I had no problems controlling my levels, nuances and all according to the mix as everything was so clear I could figure out out the band sounds.

Highly recommended for anyone who does live music by far.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #3,197 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the response from Brittany
eek.gif
can't believe she's still working now.
My ear impressions will arrive at their lab tomorrow and I really want to keep in touch with Adam regarding my shell color and artwork.

I talked to Brittany friday morning regarding my order....she said she had been reading emails until 4:00 AM......they are that busy.
She also said Jerry just finished training some new employees and they would be hitting the floor Monday to help with the unanticipated flood of orders...(for which they are very grateful)

I cant wait to hear these babies !!!!

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #3,198 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyguy106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't get my JH13s out of my ears. Sometimes when I'm out with my girlfriend for the whole day I actually feel a bit frustrated as when I'm on the public transport I can't listen to my music. Of course that's fine by me... But sometimes my mind just can't help going to JH13.

Too bad for your girlfren!
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #3,199 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just listening to the first Liquid Tension Experiment album with the JH13s, these headphones are absolutely incredible with Prog-Metal music. The bass is awesome, crisp sound, and I can hear details that I have never heard before.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too freaky for comfort...
eek.gif

After not listening to LTE for a couple of months, I listened to both of their albums twice yesterday. I didn't even know many people knew about them.

can't wait to listen to them when i get the 13s (first gotta find where those discs are. hmmm, mebbe you could help me out there Aaron). i saw them live last year at NEARfest and they were, of course, terrific. tony levin was on bass and stick - i don't recall if he plays on the albums - and as always he was just a monster. i saw him play a couple of weeks later with king crimson (with whom i've seen him play on many many occasions. king crimson, will likely be scary thru the 13s!
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #3,200 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. I believe they sent demos to iron dreamer, who brought them to the meet.

This is correct. Jerry would have liked to come to the meet, but I think we all know that he has been a bit too busy. So I was basically their liaison to get the demos out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't wait to listen to them when i get the 13s (first gotta find where those discs are. hmmm, mebbe you could help me out there Aaron). i saw them live last year at NEARfest and they were, of course, terrific. tony levin was on bass and stick - i don't recall if he plays on the albums - and as always he was just a monster.

Tony Levin is the bassist on both studio albums. Listening to the first right now, and surprise, suprise, it sounds damn great with the JH13. But I think you already coulda guessed that.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3,201 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just listening to the first Liquid Tension Experiment album with the JH13s, these headphones are absolutely incredible with Prog-Metal music. The bass is awesome, crisp sound, and I can hear details that I have never heard before.
eek.gif

They remind me a bit of Yes, the Fragile album...

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #3,202 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I talked to Brittany friday morning regarding my order....she said she had been reading emails until 4:00 AM......they are that busy.
She also said Jerry just finished training some new employees and they would be hitting the floor Monday to help with the unanticipated flood of orders...(for which they are very grateful)

I cant wait to hear these babies !!!!

yeah they are busy alright, mine are supposed to be being made in the next day, I hope mine are NOT the first ones made by new trainees
eek.gif
I mean i'm sure they have been trained well, but I wold still rather not be the first after the training wheels come off

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #3,204 of 10,747
yes NOT NOT NOT the first editing now

checking is one thing, but this is something that happens AFTER they are made and you are less likely to throw something out and start again than to edit or patch an existing problem. there will become a point where Jerry can no-longer check every one himself i'm just not very happy about that prospect at all considering the longer than usual wait i've had already

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #3,205 of 10,747
qusp, i'd bet that if you flew in from half way around the world you could watch Jerry personally make your set
wink.gif
. i understand your sentiments, but i'm sure things will work out just fine. and if they don't i'm sure we'll hear all about it!

while waiting for my turn in the queue i'm listening to Porcupine Tree's 'Lightbulb Sun' on a lovely set of ps1000s. sounds awfully nice! we'll see if the 13s can stomp that!
wink.gif
i was talking to one leatherhead owner about this disc just before leaving canjam as there's a cut or two whose psychedelia is reminiscent of beatles explorations in that direction (was that you Fe_dreamer or perhaps it was 909).

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #3,207 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't wait to listen to them when i get the 13s (first gotta find where those discs are. hmmm, mebbe you could help me out there Aaron). i saw them live last year at NEARfest and they were, of course, terrific. tony levin was on bass and stick - i don't recall if he plays on the albums - and as always he was just a monster. i saw him play a couple of weeks later with king crimson (with whom i've seen him play on many many occasions. king crimson, will likely be scary thru the 13s!
ksc75smile.gif

Well, lucky you who saw King Crimson last year from just a handful of dates they've done for 6 years. As you probably know, Robert Fripp hasn't been too keen on touring in Europe for quite some time now for several reasons. In 2000 there was only one UK date (Shepherds Bush in London - great raw power in that show in a small venue), and no UK dates in 2003 (so, I saw them twice in Spain back then). Only one gig in the UK in 13 years from a band who are originally from the UK!

I think their very underrated album, The ConstruKction of Light (2000), is absolutely brilliant. However, I always had a problem listening to this particular album with IEM's/ headphones or speakers because it's very dense and busy in many places, AND it's full of very low frequencies. I'd always get listening fatigue until I listened to it with my ES3X.

So, if my experience of listening to KC (and Henry Cow and Van der Graaf Generator) with my ES3X is anything to go by, get ready to be blown away with your JH13's -- And yes, KC likely being scary too! :)

Oh, and a recently released (legal) download of live Frippertronics from 1981 is nothing short of breathtaking!

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #3,209 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My review write-up is about 60% done...

Can't wait to read your review!
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #3,210 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah they are busy alright, mine are supposed to be being made in the next day, I hope mine are NOT the first ones made by new trainees
eek.gif
I mean i'm sure they have been trained well, but I wold still rather not be the first after the training wheels come off

Just curious, when did they get you impressions? I just want to gage how long and I don't want to bother them. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back