JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3,331 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding was that ear impressions shrink after a certain time period (and I recall that being relatively short). Aren't you setting yourself up for a likely refit by not getting new impressions?

Why not just send in ur UE-10s for them to use as impressions?

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #3,332 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I was going to post on this very topic as quite a few people have stated that ALL recordings sound amazing. I didn't post as I felt somewhat 'intimidated' by my unwelcome posting of late, made more apparent by one of the mod's posts yesterday. I felt a ton of If-you-haven't-heard-them-you-won't-know-what-you're talking-about posts would by flying my way.

I just wanted to say: "How can it always sound amazing if it isn't always there in the first place? My ES3X (and home system) make most recordings sound great but not poorly recorded ones. I'm afraid I simply cannot accept the JH13 would be different in this particular area"

Good point, but perhaps I should clarify. I was thinking more on a possible case scenario where HPA's review had been posted (very) early on. I then would need to wait for more reviews (or more detailed impressions) to make up my mind.

At this stage, though, as much as I'd like to see HPA's review, if I had to choose one and the price difference was not a problem (and I couldn't wait until Xmas for Larry's review), I'd go for the JH13's. Mostly because quite a few experienced head-fiers have reported being very impressed and not so experienced ones have also not reported many fit issues or customer service problems - apart from the very slow email response of late.

BUT, there really haven't been proper detailed impressions comparing the ES3X to the JH13's yet.

If money was a bit of a concern, I'd choose the ES3X -- there are a lot more impressions of them already -- and not the JH10X3, though I admit I'd be quite worried a about the constant re-fit issues reported by ES3X owners, and more so considering the fact I live in Europe.

Agree 100%

I have a problem with these sorts of comments. See above

It depends on how you define a bad recording. Sometimes it's just the music. I do know that some types of Metal rock will irritate the hell out of me with my RS-1 or ES3X or HE60 that I can tolerate better with my Denon LA7000 or JH13Pro or O2 Mk1 - maybe because of the frequency response curve not allowing the music to drill into my head as easily.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #3,333 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I requested Ultimate Ears send me the molds they have of mine that were used for my UE-10s and UE-11s. I received them, and sent them to JHAudio, figuring I could read HPA's review then make a decision about giving them the go ahead to start. Brittany called me this morning saying they received the impressions, and I just can't wait any longer for HPA's review, I gave my credit card info. So chalk me up as another guy who will be able to compare a few high-end IEMs: UE-10, UE-11, and JH-13. Though my review will probably be of the inarticulate kind (i.e. me likee this one best), but I'll try my best.

I'm feeling very guilty about this purchase, and may be looking to unload some gear soon to alleviate guilt. Of course, if the JH-13s are significantly better than the UE-11s, my guilt will vanish. Given how much I love my UE-11s, I'm doubtful that is possible, but also hopeful.

It will be a couple more days before I am done. The JH13pro are different enough from the ES3X and UE11pro that I don't think you will regret it.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #3,334 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope my mold is fine. Haven't heard anything from Adam after sending 3 or 4 emails make me crazy.

it looks well formed, just not that deep; but that could just be the angle

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #3,335 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I was going to post on this very topic as quite a few people have stated that ALL recordings sound amazing. I didn't post as I felt somewhat 'intimidated' by my unwelcome posting of late, made more apparent by one of the mod's posts yesterday. I felt a ton of If-you-haven't-heard-them-you-won't-know-what-you're talking-about posts would by flying my way.

I just wanted to say: "How can it always sound amazing if it isn't always there in the first place? My ES3X (and home system) make most recordings sound great but not poorly recorded ones. I'm afraid I simply cannot accept the JH13 would be different in this particular area"

I've heard that phrase used with other transducers as well. Generally, I take it to mean that it sounds more "life-like," not necessarily good from a musical perspective, or from a recording perspective. Interestingly, with good headphones, you can hear just how poorly (bad) the recording is e.g. improper mic placement, wrong choice of microphone, or a the engineering of the music hall (dry vs. lively), or venue, etc!

However, I agree with you re the transducer itself. If it makes everything sound "good," all sorts of warning flags pop up. If "everything" sounds good, then I suspect there's some application of purposeful FR alterations. Not good. Even real life doesn't always sound good!

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #3,336 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks well formed, just not that deep; but that could just be the angle

Westone specifically requests molds beyond the second bend for their top tier IEM, and it makes a difference. However, it uses a heat sensitive tip. Not sure what JHA recommends. Maybe JH can chime in on their standard recommendation?

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #3,338 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone specifically requests molds beyond the second bend for their top tier IEM, and it makes a difference. However, it uses a heat sensitive tip. Not sure what JHA recommends. Maybe JH can chime in on their standard recommendation?

In their instruction sheet, JHA notes: "It’s critical that we have an open mouth impression taken to the second bend of the ear canal."

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3,339 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current on the go solution of choice... such happy things come from this combo

like the color Bojamijams. TruBlood comes to mind. Can't wait to be able to change my sig to reflect the same ultra-portable combo.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #3,340 of 10,747
Transparent Black (with Black JH Audio Girl outline) just arrived!!
(woo hoo)

Now, I know why the ear impressions must be done "open-mouthed":

from the instant I plugged these bad boys into my Mustang / 4G Nano / ALO LOD...
- MY JAW DROPPED !!!

Holy crap!!

I'm ruined for the rest of the day - just sitting here "Slack Jawed" !

Gotta go now - Bella Sonus beckons
(it's a great "Test Vector" for these!)

A thousand thanks to Jerry, Brittany and Adam for a product that is "beyond the state of the art" and also for their impeccable customer service.
It just doesn't get any better than this!

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #3,341 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the JH Audio website there's a pdf file (http://www.jhaudio.com/promusic/tipSheet.pdf) for people to print out and take to their audiologist.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #3,342 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transparent Black (with Black JH Audio Girl outline) just arrived!!
(woo hoo)

Now, I know why the ear impressions must be done "open-mouthed":

from the instant I plugged these bad boys into my Mustang / 4G Nano / ALO LOD...
- MY JAW DROPPED !!!

Welcome to the club Adam !

They are great, aren't they?
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #3,343 of 10,747
These 13's just melt into your ears!

Thought I'd share part of an email sent to Jerry today:
(after he told me he knows for sure that the 13's are at least twice as fast as anything else out there)

"Been sitting here, now amazed at how accurate timbre is on everything I run through these 13's.
[especially guitar - which I am somewhat qualified to comment on - acoustic, classic, electric]

Then I figured it out:

Twice the speed = accurate reproduction of complex time/frequency/amplitude mappings = timbre.

(all there is = frequency & amplitude, and the time-rate--of-change, of both of those!)

These 13's "nail" the timbre of every instrument, that I can judge accurately - better than anything short of being there.

Smart engineering, man - you beat the competition, right where it mattered most - twice as fast!

Hence, the reason these 13's reproduce guitar EXACTLY the way it sounds live."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back