JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #3,316 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problemo.
Yes and no. You'll be able to tell the difference between mp3 and lossless quite easily, and poorly mastered material still won't sound good. They still sound amazing with an ipod/iphone as a source and that's something.

Last night I was going to post on this very topic as quite a few people have stated that ALL recordings sound amazing. I didn't post as I felt somewhat 'intimidated' by my unwelcome posting of late, made more apparent by one of the mod's posts yesterday. I felt a ton of If-you-haven't-heard-them-you-won't-know-what-you're talking-about posts would by flying my way.

I just wanted to say: "How can it always sound amazing if it isn't always there in the first place? My ES3X (and home system) make most recordings sound great but not poorly recorded ones. I'm afraid I simply cannot accept the JH13 would be different in this particular area"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Substantial reviews aren't really forthcoming, so how long would the wait have to be? One year before you decide? Two? Three? People who are waiting for HPA's review have already read the many comments made in this thread; we won't make a decision based on HPA's words only, but we do hope his review will be more precise than the "ooh!" and "aah!" in this thread. Right now, the ES3X thread has much better descriptions of its sound, IMO, than the JH13 thread does with its many more posts.

Good point, but perhaps I should clarify. I was thinking more on a possible case scenario where HPA's review had been posted (very) early on. I then would need to wait for more reviews (or more detailed impressions) to make up my mind.

At this stage, though, as much as I'd like to see HPA's review, if I had to choose one and the price difference was not a problem (and I couldn't wait until Xmas for Larry's review), I'd go for the JH13's. Mostly because quite a few experienced head-fiers have reported being very impressed and not so experienced ones have also not reported many fit issues or customer service problems - apart from the very slow email response of late.

BUT, there really haven't been proper detailed impressions comparing the ES3X to the JH13's yet.

If money was a bit of a concern, I'd choose the ES3X -- there are a lot more impressions of them already -- and not the JH10X3, though I admit I'd be quite worried a about the constant re-fit issues reported by ES3X owners, and more so considering the fact I live in Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd link you to HPA's review, but it ain't out yet.
tongue.gif

Okay, this one is useful:

Electronic Music 411 - Headphones reviews from mixer’s perspective - Headphones, Cans, JH-13

Detailed comparisons is often what makes a review really useful. What I'm looking for in HPA's review is to see the ES3X and JH13 compared. I took notice of Edwood's comment that the JH13 beats the ES3X and ER4P/S hands down, but you'll admit it hardly qualifies as a review.

Agree 100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. It doesn't even have to be excellently recorded material.

I have a problem with these sorts of comments. See above

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #3,317 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just wanted to say: "How can it always sound amazing if it isn't always there in the first place? My ES3X (and home system) make most recordings sound great but not poorly recorded ones. I'm afraid I simply cannot accept the JH13 would be different in this particular area"

I agree with this point even though I do not own the JH13pro. So far whenever I had upgraded my headphone I then would discovered some more bad tracks or bad CDs that I can no longer tolerate. Mind you, one of the CDs was actually mixed by my friend.

For less capable headphones, the blemishes were hided but for more revealing systems these shortcomings just seem more and more intolerable to me.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #3,318 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by hpz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want this to turn into a ear impression line up but, can some people give an idea if this impression is ok?

I'm not sure why there is a crease just at the exit of the canal , but it on both sides
confused.gif
Hope the foam is ok ><

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2563/3814313558_cc0574d9e6_o.jpg[/MG][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

I would say no, but I am not Jerry, perhaps after they scan it they can model the rest in in cad or something before they 'print' it out. but as is, certainly they are not good enough and seal will be pretty bad. also they have used oam instead of cotton wool, so it will be a PITA for them to remove them without further damaging the impressions. a couple of other areas look a little sketchy too. I would go back and either ask for a refund or for them to do it again. those impressions would not be any use for any purpose from what i can see.

again I am not an audiologist, but you dont have to be an expert to see there is something errmm sub-par about them. sorry to say

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #3,319 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say no, but I am not Jerry, perhaps after they scan it they can model the rest in in cad or something before they 'print' it out. but as is, certainly they are not good enough and seal will be pretty bad.

Ye after scanning the mold they are smoothing the mesh
smily_headphones1.gif
)and then print
smily_headphones1.gif
)i think they do it on with rapidprototyping technology
smily_headphones1.gif
)I dont know for sure but its on 90%
dt880smile.png

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #3,320 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now judging on the pics Adam sent you, are these good or bad impressions?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/3795888845_d9a38d488b_d.jpg[/MG][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

they look fine, not terribly deep though, looks like they are at; not past the second bend though, so should be fine as long as you didnt want extra deep IEMs.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #3,321 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ye after scanning the mold they are smoothing the mesh
smily_headphones1.gif
)and then print
smily_headphones1.gif
)i think they do it on with rapidprototyping technology
smily_headphones1.gif
)I dont know for sure but its on 90%
dt880smile.png

yes they do it with stereo lithography, but there looks to be more than 'smoothing' needed on those. there are whole sections missing.

but i'll shut-up, i'm not an expert

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #3,322 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes they do it with stereo lithography, but there looks to be more than 'smoothing' needed on those. there are whole sections missing.

but i'll shut-up, i'm not an expert

Some easy modeling technique with some anatomy
smily_headphones1.gif
)but you are right.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #3,323 of 10,747
Well guys i've gotten a reply from Adam regarding my ear impressions and he said, " They look pretty good to me"

So... i'm guessing this is a fortunate sign and i will be sending them off to JH
wink.gif

I hope it all goes well from here

thanks all that inquired
HPZ

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #3,324 of 10,747
wow, I must say i'm surprised, but like I said; i'm no expert
wink.gif
I guess their modeling tech is better than I thought

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #3,325 of 10,747
From what I gather in Brittany's email, they just need a well-defined mold of the outer and inner ear. Having seen what is considered not well-defined (I had to redo my molds once), I think HPZ's and lil'knight's are fine.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #3,328 of 10,747
Well, I requested Ultimate Ears send me the molds they have of mine that were used for my UE-10s and UE-11s. I received them, and sent them to JHAudio, figuring I could read HPA's review then make a decision about giving them the go ahead to start. Brittany called me this morning saying they received the impressions, and I just can't wait any longer for HPA's review, I gave my credit card info. So chalk me up as another guy who will be able to compare a few high-end IEMs: UE-10, UE-11, and JH-13. Though my review will probably be of the inarticulate kind (i.e. me likee this one best), but I'll try my best.

I'm feeling very guilty about this purchase, and may be looking to unload some gear soon to alleviate guilt. Of course, if the JH-13s are significantly better than the UE-11s, my guilt will vanish. Given how much I love my UE-11s, I'm doubtful that is possible, but also hopeful.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3,329 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, if the JH-13s are significantly better than the UE-11s, my guilt will vanish. Given how much I love my UE-11s, I'm doubtful that is possible....

Yes, it's possible.
icon10.gif

Prior to getting my UE11s, I'd had Ety ER4Ps for years, and felt guilty about buying the 11s, mostly because I rarely used iems, and was, in truth, quite happy with my Etys for the couple times a month iems served a purpose. I was quite happy with the 11s, but my listening habits didn't change, and though I enjoyed and still enjoy them, I was using them rarely, choosing instead to use esw10s for most portable use, and my home rigs when not listening to speakers. The JH13s have changed my listening habits completely. I use them at least a few hours each day, and put them on the same level as my home gear when it comes to choosing headphones. My UE11s are my gym headphones now, and my JH13s share time with my home headphones, and due to their portability, are used far more frequently.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #3,330 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I requested Ultimate Ears send me the molds they have of mine that were used for my UE-10s and UE-11s. I received them, and sent them to JHAudio, figuring I could read HPA's review then make a decision about giving them the go ahead to start.

My understanding was that ear impressions shrink after a certain time period (and I recall that being relatively short). Aren't you setting yourself up for a likely refit by not getting new impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back