JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
May 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #10,126 of 10,743
I had to smile at work today. My colleagues were discussing Apple's aquisition of Beats. They were incredulous that anyone would spend "hundreds of pounds" on a pair of headphones. Having just bought the JH13 I kept very quiet!
I thought to myself "we walk among you"!

May 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #10,127 of 10,743
"Hundreds" - lol....

I try not to take a step back and look at my hobby in the grand scheme of things.... Although if you take a few more steps back, the appreciation of music over a lifetime is worth almost any cost - in the grand "quality of life" scheme of things.

May 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #10,128 of 10,743
"Hundreds" - lol....

I try not to take a step back and look at my hobby in the grand scheme of things.... Although if you take a few more steps back, the appreciation of music over a lifetime is worth almost any cost - in the grand "quality of life" scheme of things.
Yes. I don't consider music a hobby but an integral part of my life. And if you compare portable audio to home audio, it's a bargain.

May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #10,130 of 10,743
Hi 3nenbgumi. I heard the demo version of the 16 and the detail in the bass was amazing. I felt though that it was too bass focused for me. I guess I just remember that lovely detail and wish the 13's had it as well as everything it does so well. I just want the moon on a stick! So far I feel very lucky to own the 13's. Fit seems to be settling down too.

Check out the Tralucent Ref1 if you like your JH13 but need more sub-bass impact.  I love my jh13fp but at times wanted more bass impact.  I demo'ed the Ref1 recently and was in awe how hard it's bass slam and how balanced the rest of the FR sounded.  Definitely like it better than the Roxanne universal I also demo'ed on the same day.  The Ref1 is very pricey but its bass is really something different.  You can refer to SoundFreaq (of Cavalli Audio)'s review here.  This was the review that piqued my interest in the Ref1 as it is rare for a renowned high end audio maker (who don't sell Tralucent) to be blown away by any headphone sound, let alone from an IEM. 

Quote: www.head-fi.org/t/712125/tralucent-audio-ref-1-iem/105#post_10508063
  One  well-known and fine attribute about the 1plus2 is its bass. I do not believe I have heard bass in an IEM that was so exciting, powerful, yet high quality in the 1plus2. The Ref. 1 takes it to the next level, without a doubt. The bass is seriously awe-inspiring. In my opinion, it does a better job than many full-size cans, and sort of defies explanation. It is wonderfully textured and of very high quality, no doubt. But at the same time the sub-bass is powerful, digs deep into your ribs, and rumbles - the mid-bass POPS with serious impact. It has the characteristics of a well-done mid-bass centric can, and the characteristics of a quality sub-bass centric can. Not that the FR is bass-centric, just using those examples. 

The bass is palpable and textured. It bites, rumbles and is of very high quality. The reverb and decay are natural sounding, the upright bass so realistic up on that stage for the jazz trio. Bass so natural and life-like, huge for this earphone. 

Seriously this bass is something else. It's not something else for an IEM, it's something else, period. So rich, so clean, so enjoyable. From jazz to EDM, a pure joy. How do you improve on the bass response of the 1plus2? You invent the Ref. 1. I like to give reserved impressions, and let the reader determine if what I'm writing works for them. But the bass is so impressive on these things that it makes the 1plus2 sound considerably more flat. But everything is so highly refined on the Ref. 1, with that sweet high-end, there is no lazy bloom evident. The bass is nimble, the bass is spectacular. 

May 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #10,131 of 10,743
Check out the Tralucent Ref1 if you like your JH13 but need more sub-bass impact.  I love my jh13fp but at times wanted more bass impact.  I demo'ed the Ref1 recently and was in awe how hard it's bass slam and how balanced the rest of the FR sounded.  Definitely like it better than the Roxanne universal I also demo'ed on the same day.  The Ref1 is very pricey but its bass is really something different.  You can refer to SoundFreaq (of Cavalli Audio)'s review here.  This was the review that piqued my interest in the Ref1 as it is rare for a renowned high end audio maker (who don't sell Tralucent) to be blown away by any headphone sound, let alone from an IEM. 
Nice pitch. Where's it manufactured?

May 23, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #10,133 of 10,743
Just bought a second hand pair of JH13 Pro Freqphase and getting them re-shelled by Phil at Cosmic Ears. These are my first customs so quite excited to say the least. Have also opted for the Linum T2 BaX cable after reading positive reviews.

May 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #10,134 of 10,743

Haven't seen the pricing on the Ref. 1.  How much?

May 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #10,135 of 10,743
Anybody with pics of reshelled JH13's?  I've thought about buying used, but a couple of the websites of the reshell companies show gallery shots where the shells don't look as nicely finished as the JH originals.  And no problem with a change in SQ?  Thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #10,136 of 10,743
  Anybody with pics of reshelled JH13's?  I've thought about buying used, but a couple of the websites of the reshell companies show gallery shots where the shells don't look as nicely finished as the JH originals.  And no problem with a change in SQ?  Thanks!

These are reshelled JH16FP... essentially the same thing... I would venture a guess that the build quality is on par with JH

(No carbon fiber was injured in the making of this post)

May 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #10,137 of 10,743
  These are reshelled JH16FP... essentially the same thing... I would venture a guess that the build quality is on par with JH

(No carbon fiber was injured in the making of this post)

Thanks for the post!  What company did yours?  They do look great!

May 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #10,138 of 10,743

Thanks for the post!  What company did yours?  They do look great!

Inearz - $150 + $20 for recessed sockets. They sound great - I have gone through all the test tones, frequency sweeps - dynamic range tests - channel balance (or imbalance)  - phase - all the benchmarks I could find online and they pass with flying colors.

EDIT: Oh, and they fit!

May 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #10,140 of 10,743
Freqphase is just corrections via tube length, at least that's my understanding. If a resheller measures carefully, they should be able to maintain it.

I've read Phil with Cosmic Ears is confident in reshelling them. And I wonder if Peter of Custom Art could reshell them in silicone. That would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back